Notices

Planning out a setup to turbo my 98 GSR

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning out a setup to turbo my 98 GSR

Ok, I'm new to FI, but I have been trying to do my research so I don't sound like a complete idiot here. I want to turbo my car this summer, it is a daily driver so I want it reliable. I have been debating wether or not to get a kit or custom setup. I've decided a custom setup will work fine for me. What I want is around 250whp on stock internals and boost about 7-8psi, from what I've read a stock B18c1 can handle that quite easily as long as the engine is in good shape, my engine has 70k miles on it right now. Here is what I want to go with with, understand I'm trying to stay on a budget somewhat.

Garrett T3/T04E 60 trim .63 A/R
Precision FMIC 350hp
Spoolin Performance Manifold
Tial 38mm Wastegate w/7psi spring
RC 550 saturated injectors
Spoolin Perfomance 2.5" Downpipe
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
SS Oil Lines
2.5" High Flow Cat
2.5" Exhaust
Exedy Stage 2 Clutch
Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts (help with wheel hop)

As far as Electronics go heres what I will go with.
Hondata s200 or s300 (not sure which yet, but getting tuned professionally)
Boost Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge
Greddy Turbo Timer (seems to be simple and gets the job done)

I realize to use Hondata I will have to switch over to OBD1, also from what I've read most 3" exhausts are loud as ****. I don't want my car to be too loud for daily driving which is why I am going with a 2.5" exhaust unless someone can recommend how to have a quiet 3" exhaust setup. Well let me know what you guys think and if you have anything else to add for me to think about. I'll appreciate it, thanks. This is my first post on HondaTech too so I really hope this is the right place for this lol.

Thankss
Old 02-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Planning out a setup to turbo my 98 GSR (mrimmortal01)

Welcome to H-T! Your setup looks good and your power goal is well reachable with a c1 on 7 psi. Just for your info theres other fuel managements you can get yourself to save some money. Uberdata is a free program if you can figure out to do it yourself or you can have someone on here burn you a chip and tune it. Check out some uberdata forums unless your 100% sure you want to go with hondata, and in my opinion waste your money. You might want to get an air/fuel gauge too to help monitor your current engine situation.

550cc injectors could also be overkill for 250hp. You could save yourself some money if you went with DSM 450's and use a resistor box. You can pick up a set of these injectors for like 70 bucks and will allow you to reach your goal of 250 hp up to like 300 hp. Im not sure how much money you want to spend on this kit but I know personally I like to save money where I can.

One more thing before posting make sure to try searchin on the top right corner of every page because most likely if you have a question someone has already asked it.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Planning out a setup to turbo my 98 GSR (delslo93)

dude your setup sounds great but as said before, try RC 440's instead of the 550's for 250 whp. I would go with a Greddy SP2 exhuast which is pretty quiet but a Thermal is mad loud! Take your time and be sure this is something you want to do as your car will be mechanically needing more attention ( cash too sometimes)

I had a turboed GSR (98) and I loved it but it was fully built and my daily driver too (no sleeves) but wish I had a quieter exhaust because the droning sound of the thermal is bothersome. Hey bro check out those t3t4 .50 trim turbos with a stage 2 wheel and .48 a/r......really work awesome for street driven tegs with great spool up.....

Boost OWNS!