Notices

Which pistons and c/r to go with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which pistons and c/r to go with?

I'm currently looking into finishing my boosted JDM GS-R block by the end of spring. I'm debating which pistons and the compression ratio to go with. I'm hoping to make over 500+ WHP as I can't expect it to make a certain number. Input, advices and comments are appreciated to get me started and finish. I would use it daily to commute 30+ miles if that helps on which setup to choose. Also, which website for best pricing?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Re: Which pistons and c/r to go with?

Id start with searching topics for "compression" in this section, then piston/pistons also in this section and then the brand piston you decide to go with in every section. More than likely you will find a few vendors in the FS section with great prices.

Your user name is kinda ironic...
Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What octane fuel can you get your hands on ?
Old 03-17-2011, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are shooting for 500+ I would go no higher than 9:1 personally. As for the pistons, you are going to hear so many personal opinions. In the end it is all about what you trust. I went with a custom piston for my build that my shop designed. They have held up well in every build so far and have never seen one break.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rich7777
What octane fuel can you get your hands on ?
both 92 and E85 if that's what you mean. However, I'm trying to stick with just pump gas.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crashtke
If you are shooting for 500+ I would go no higher than 9:1 personally. As for the pistons, you are going to hear so many personal opinions. In the end it is all about what you trust. I went with a custom piston for my build that my shop designed. They have held up well in every build so far and have never seen one break.

At this point I'm not sure what I trust. I've never had to build anything as this is my first build. That's why I'm seeking advices
Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Id start with searching topics for "compression" in this section, then piston/pistons also in this section and then the brand piston you decide to go with in every section. More than likely you will find a few vendors in the FS section with great prices.

Your user name is kinda ironic...

Thanks, well do...

My user name is what it is. If this car wasn't Hand_Fed then what else would keep feeding it to be what it is/going to be... LOL!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the manufacturer of the pistons we use is Probe Industries. They are a great manufacturer and we have used them for builds over 1100 hp with zero issues. They have a very good selection of sport compact pistons.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not to put you down but you should recosider puting so much wirk anf $$ inti a daily driver.. Miles make ur motor weaker. It will get dented n scratched at parking lots. Also u should get a second car for when the acura is in the shop.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Well, the manufacturer of the pistons we use is Probe Industries. They are a great manufacturer and we have used them for builds over 1100 hp with zero issues. They have a very good selection of sport compact pistons.
Mark is a great guy and awsome products at a cheap price!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hand_Fed
I'm currently looking into finishing my boosted JDM GS-R block by the end of spring. I'm debating which pistons and the compression ratio to go with. I'm hoping to make over 500+ WHP as I can't expect it to make a certain number. Input, advices and comments are appreciated to get me started and finish. I would use it daily to commute 30+ miles if that helps on which setup to choose. Also, which website for best pricing?
What are the details of the turbo system and how big will the engine be? If you have a smaller engine and an inefficient turbo/intercooler system, you may need to run a lower compression ratio like 9:1 or even lower. The cooler the IAT's and the larger the displacement, the higher compression ratio you can get away with, which is especially nice with a daily driver. Meth/water injection will help a lot also.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I'll look into them.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Damian_jdm
Not to put you down but you should recosider puting so much wirk anf $$ inti a daily driver.. Miles make ur motor weaker. It will get dented n scratched at parking lots. Also u should get a second car for when the acura is in the shop.

I have my own owned business and have my own parking space so I won't be dealing with other parked cars. However, I do have a civic swap with a B16A as a daily commuter during as my project car is torned and in the works.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG1834
What are the details of the turbo system and how big will the engine be? If you have a smaller engine and an inefficient turbo/intercooler system, you may need to run a lower compression ratio like 9:1 or even lower. The cooler the IAT's and the larger the displacement, the higher compression ratio you can get away with, which is especially nice with a daily driver. Meth/water injection will help a lot also.

I have a Precision 6262. The block has been honed to 82mm. I will be using a JG Victor X manifold. Would that help on having a higher compression. I was sort of think 9:
Old 03-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to run e85 you should try to stay close to 9.7:1-10.5:1 CR. I would recommend going higher then that even, but you said this is a car you will be driving alot. Ethanol runs alot cooler and is much "nicer" on the engine. The main reason to lower the compression is because detonation will be much more forgiving. This will all be in your tuners hands. If you have a good tuner you will not have any issues with longevity of the engine. Assuming the engine builder is on his game as well. I built mine at 10:1 for 93 oct and later switched to e85. Made 400whp on 16lbs on 93 and roughly 460 on e85 at the same boost.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I currently have 363whp on my setup. And that's on a stock GSR block with Type R head. I've been runing this setup for over 2yrs now. It still hauls and does the job. I'm just looking to make it reliable and efficient in terms of longevity as ou say.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the higher hp you try to push the shorter the life of the engine. Forced induction is just hard on things. Especially detonation. If you are looking to build the bottom end, just grab a set of Wiseco K542M81 pistons and a set of Eagle rods. If you need to freshed up the cylinder walls, bore them .020 over and get K542M815 pistons. This will be a affordable way to build the bottom end without sleeving the block.