Notices

A-Pillar Guage Pod question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 06:57 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A-Pillar Guage Pod question

Hi
I'm gonna be putting in an Autometer 3 gauge Pod in my A pillar. Has anyone used one of these? I will be putting in 3 Greddy electronic gauges. Do you need to drill holes in the stock A pillar to mount them correctly? It seems you would have to because there isn't enough room to run the wires down and between the A pillar and the dash.

Also, where is the best place to tap into constant 12v, Ignition 12v, and Lights.
I have the Helm manual but figured if somone knew the closest place to tap into that would save me time hunting around.

thanks
Old 10-08-2001, 08:28 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A-Pillar Guage Pod question (GruvyTune)

You have to make some big holes in the stock A pillar for the wires to get through.

For the Greddy guages, you can twist both the power wires together and run them as one (I do this and tap them into acc power). Some of the guages probably want constant power, but it doesn't really matter to me...

There's a good sized wire under middle of the dash that is WHT/BLK. This is the accessory ignition wire. I tapped into the parking light source where it's run with other wires, but I heard it also goes in the fuse box. When I finish my wiring, I'll see what's going on there.
Old 10-08-2001, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got mine. You shouldnt need to drill any holes in the pillar!! You will have enough room to run bthem between the autometer piece and the stock trim. I have both mechanical oil and boost along with the a/f meter. Shouldnt have any problems, unless the Greddy gauges are real deep, I am using all autometer gauges. HTH
Old 10-08-2001, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A-Pillar Guage Pod question (93LSivic)

I had to cut holes in the pillar with my dremel. There is really no way to run the wiring and have the plastic sit flush against the factory piece... especially if you have more than one gauge (I have three).

Dustin
Old 10-08-2001, 09:26 PM
New User

Default Re: A-Pillar Guage Pod question

Well there are two different types of gauge holders made by Autometer (Gaugeworks)...
One is the pillar pod, which comes in 1, 2 or 3 (I believe) gauge configurations.
Then there is the "full pillar pod" which comes in 2 or 3 gauge configurations. The full pillar pod is supposed to replace the stock A-Pillar, so I assume no cutting or drilling is necessary (I have one of these purchased which I will be picking up in the next couple days.....I'll know more then).
Old 10-08-2001, 09:36 PM
Trial User

Default Re: A-Pillar Guage Pod question (degradated)

I heard they don't make the replacement pillar for the integra. I wish they did. If they actually do, I'm going to switch.. it's a much more ideal solution.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, it doesnt replace the complete pillar plastic. But it goes all the way down to the dash the same as factory, same shape as factory too. BUT it only goes as far up as the very top corner of the windsheild. It does NOT go back and hook into the rar upper window plastic back above where the seatbelt bolt is.
I, too ws assuming it would replace the whole piece, but no.....
Old 10-09-2001, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought the Autometer A-pillar gauge pod replaces over the factory a-pillar??? Is this true???? Btw what gauge sizes are you guyz putin into your a-pillar pod?? 2 1/6?? 52mm? 60mm?? Thanks. How are all the wirin goin in the back of the
a-pillar pod???? Does anybody have a pix of how this is done hidin the wires and makin it look professional??? Do you guyz have to drill a big hole through your a-pillar?? I need any pix and feedback if possible thanks.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:46 AM
ken
Trial User

Default Re: A-Pillar Guage Pod question (IgniteTeg)

All you have to do is fit a few wires through the hole. I think I have like a 3/8" hole... maybe 7/16".
Old 10-09-2001, 12:04 PM
New User

Actually, it doesnt replace the complete pillar plastic. But it goes all the way down to the dash the same as factory, same shape as factory too. BUT it only goes as far up as the very top corner of the windsheild. It does NOT go back and hook into the rar upper window plastic back above where the seatbelt bolt is.
I, too ws assuming it would replace the whole piece, but no.....
If I'm thinking about the same thing as you, it does stop at the upper part of the windshield as it connects up to the top of the window frame. But why would you need it to go all the way around? The stock one cuts off at this point too, so I'm pretty sure the replacement A-pillar is this long strip (maybe about 3-4 feet) that will fit right in where the stock one was, only difference being it has bulges for gauges. Isn't this correct?
Old 10-09-2001, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, I have a civic. I guess the integras dont go all the way back like the EG's
Old 10-09-2001, 02:14 PM
Corr Performance Pilot

I have the same pillar with APEX'1 gauges in it and I just replaced the a pillar moudling and used the autometer one. I didn't mount it on top of the other one like they say to do. This left me space to run the wires through the dash near the window.

Also I ran each wire down one by one then zip tied them so that ALL the wires from the gauegs wouldn't be bundled together near the gauges because then to drill a hole to anchoe the pillar bezel in place would have made it extrememly difficult.

Old 10-09-2001, 05:57 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ill be installing mine soon, I will NOT drill any holes in my stock a-pillar...
I dont know how im doing it yet for sure, but I do know you can do it without messing up the stock A-pillar..