Notices

Pics--At home head porting, and some of ma snail project.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pics--At home head porting, and some of ma snail project.....

Today I started on my turbo project. Since its a used turbo I mounted it up and moved all the housings around so that it would work on my car. Here's a couple of how it looks...Like the Ricey-red valve cover. This is going to be charged shortly.

While I was doing that I was bored, dug through my toolbox and came up with a metal grinding shank that I used back in the day for car audio ****. I popped it in my electric drill and went to work. Check it out before.....

And after.....

All of them.....

What do you guys think? Took me a total of about 1.5 hours. Like the cotton ***** I used so the shavings wouldnt go it the head--worked like a charm.
Took it for a test drive. Immediately noticed a deeper exhaust tone. As far as the butt-dyno, even though it probably didnt make much horsepower, it does feel like it picked up some low to midrange torque. Hopefully my next visit to the track will yeild some positive results.
Thank you, come again!
Old 09-06-2001, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pics--At home head porting, and some of ma snail project..... (93LSivic)

That looks great. What tools did you use? It looks like you did it with the head still on the block.
Old 09-06-2001, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pics--At home head porting, and some of ma snail project..... (93LSivic)

hmm, not to sure what to say about that. It was always my understanding that you never gasket match the exhaust ports. the step acts as an anti-reversion step. The only place where a Honda head really needs any help is where the seat meats the casting. It's usually a little rough down in there.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:18 PM
New User

Those ports are huge now
Old 09-06-2001, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Pics--At home head porting, and some of ma snail project..... (00 Si)

i hope you are going to take the head off and make sure that everything is CLEAN in the head casue if it is not it is going to hurt!!

k
Old 09-06-2001, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm confused I see an internal wastegate but then I also see a spot for an external wastegate.
Old 09-06-2001, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I did it with the head still on the block. As you can see the cotton ***** kept any shavings from going in.
I dont think I need to take off the head--I made sure that no shavings got in.
Just got done some hard driving--it does seem to have had an effect on torque. Actually I just beat the hell out of my brother with his Type-S in a top speed battle, going downhill for most of it too! Not the smartest thing to do though
As far as tools go, besides the normal tools needed to take off the header. Just an electric drill and a cylindrical shaped metal grinding bit. Thats it.....
Oh yeah, as far as the wastegates go, I am doing a budget turbo kit. I plan on blocking off the wastegate spot in the manifold and using the one on the turbo itself. That is, until I upgrade the turbo--then I will do a Tial w/g.
Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-07-2001, 03:03 AM
Trial User

Just make sure you port the exhaust manifold/and gasket slightly larger than the head... if you don't, regaurdless of what it feels like, you will lose a little in most cases...