people with CLUTCHMASTERS STAGE 4 (4 puck sprung)... please chime in with your DD opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default people with CLUTCHMASTERS STAGE 4 (4 puck sprung)... please chime in with your DD opinions

so i might get a clutch masters stage 4, 4 puck sprung disc... this car is mainly daily driving.. will this be too harsh for my turbo gsr?
Old 04-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: people with CLUTCHMASTERS STAGE 4 (4 puck sprung)... please chime in with your DD opinions (SHys

I have one. Its a little harsh but doable. Pedal Pressure is a joke, its as stiff as stock. Not as bad as an ACT XTR6 for daily driving.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: people with CLUTCHMASTERS STAGE 4 (4 puck sprung)... please chime in with your DD opinions (SHys

I have the Stg 4 and love it for daily grind. I have sold tons of CM with not problem to date. Now ACT and center force is another story
Old 04-22-2005, 08:28 PM

I have a CM stage 4 clutch... and it took some getting used to its really close to almost being either disengaged or engaged almost no median... and in the median you get clutch chatter like crazy! Now the good thing is this clutch grabs amazing... I dropped the clutch at 5,5rpm one day and it grabbed and held it is amazing! All in all it sucks driving in stop and go driving like heavy atlanta traffic, but if its a little lighter where you live you wont have a problem!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1Bar GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a CM stage 4 clutch... and it took some getting used to its really close to almost being either disengaged or engaged almost no median... and in the median you get clutch chatter like crazy! Now the good thing is this clutch grabs amazing... I dropped the clutch at 5,5rpm one day and it grabbed and held it is amazing! All in all it sucks driving in stop and go driving like heavy atlanta traffic, but if its a little lighter where you live you wont have a problem!</TD></TR></TABLE>

LA traffic
Old 04-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I daily drove the stage 4 city driving. NO problems at all. Grabs very good. Only slightly harder pedal feel. Definitely streetable.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for your input guys.. guess i better invest in it
Old 04-24-2005, 01:38 PM

has anyone moved up from a stage 3 to stage 4 and how much torque can the stage3 hold and how much torque can a stage 4 hold.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love it...it's perfect.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperTomcat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">has anyone moved up from a stage 3 to stage 4 and how much torque can the stage3 hold and how much torque can a stage 4 hold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

would like to know how much is the stage 3 rated up too, got mine stalled and it so damn light i wish i had gone with stage 4 or 5
Old 04-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had it on my old turbocharged Civic SI. Have it on my turbocharged Civic EX now. Grabs great, the pedal feel is close to stock, there's no happy medium: engaged or not (you get clutch chatter in the middle), holds great against pretty much anything you can throw at it. It's pretty nice for daily driving, as long as you don't encounter too much traffic. You won't be dissapointed, just be sure to do the proper break-in on it before you start pounding on it. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what does proper break in consist of?

btw, i thought puck discs don't need to be broken in?
Old 04-24-2005, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

required 500 miles of stop and go traffic driving, im only 100 into mine right now. I accidently stalled it once and wow the car shake so bad i thought i hit something hard
Old 04-24-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

everyone has said no break in necessary with a puck disc.. you guys still think there is? so there is or there isn't???
Old 04-24-2005, 09:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SHystrdyGSRtdy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">everyone has said no break in necessary with a puck disc.. you guys still think there is? so there is or there isn't???</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a stage 5, 3 puck non-sprung hub... use to drive it daily to and from work. Also I never broke in the clutch, just installed it and drove the crap outta it. Been over a year, and it still holds 520whp 350tq.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Proper break-in: as stated before is 500 miles of stop and go traffic. Yes, some people say that it's not necessary to break-in the clutch, but it has work for me. Turbocharged Civic EX boosted since early 2000, still has the same clutch and holds like it's brand new. It's up to you. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:45 AM
Moderator in Chief

I called CM about the break in. I got them to admit that high rpm was ok just nothing that created extreme heat/shock on the clutch like launches. I broke in my motor NA with high rpm while breaking in the new clutch too. 500 miles of city driving with no launches but a number of high rpm runs to seat the rings.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no one know how much the stage 3 is rated up to?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on what application you are looking for as far as rating go. Basically though, for example, the B-series stage 3 will hold 325 ft/lbs of torq. and 375 hp while the stage 4 will hold around 410 ft/lbs of torq. and 500 hp.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SHystrdyGSRtdy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i might get a clutch masters stage 4, 4 puck sprung disc... this car is mainly daily driving.. will this be too harsh for my turbo gsr?</TD></TR></TABLE>You could also go with the 6-puck stage 4 disc if you are mainly driving on the streets. With more surface area on the disc, the 6-puck will engage a bit smoother than the 4-puck and be less aggressive for daily driving.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Moderator in Chief

Ah crap. I never knew a 6 puck stage 4 existed. I wish now that I went with the 6 puck rather than the 4 that I have.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:02 PM
95GSRTT

what I wanna know is if the torque ratings that these companies give, if they are based on wheel torque or flywheel torque? Because if the clutch is really able to hold 410 lb/tq at the wheels, there really arent too many hondas that will be able to touch that much torque.

Anyone know for sure?
Old 04-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ah crap. I never knew a 6 puck stage 4 existed. I wish now that I went with the 6 puck rather than the 4 that I have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea.. i saw that on their website.. but as you assured me... w/ 4 puck, it shouldn't be that bad.. i thought you wanted a stiffer feel anyways?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what I wanna know is if the torque ratings that these companies give, if they are based on wheel torque or flywheel torque? Because if the clutch is really able to hold 410 lb/tq at the wheels, there really arent too many hondas that will be able to touch that much torque.

Anyone know for sure?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm sure clutchmasters will chime in on that.. i'd like to know also... even if it is flywheel torque... 410ft-lb is a lot for a stage 4
Old 04-25-2005, 12:27 PM

If their 4 puck is like the SPEC unit I would avoid it for a street car, the Spec clutch will grind down your flywheel and pressure plate well before the disc is worn, I got 25k miles of street driving from mine and was told this is normal..
Old 04-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is 410 ft/lbs of torq. to the flywheel for the FX 400!

Quick Reply: people with CLUTCHMASTERS STAGE 4 (4 puck sprung)... please chime in with your DD opinions