Notices

PeakBoost Topmount Fitment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PeakBoost Topmount Fitment Issues

EDIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem has been resolved, It was a turbo side charge piping that was built wrong, this pipe has now been re- machined for my kit and future kits by Ken @ Peakboost, Call Ken @ peakboost for ALL your turbo needs as he is there to help you with any of your questions and comments.

/ Thread

Alright, I am just curious if there is anyone else that has had the same issues, or has heard of this happening on their Peakboost Kits.

here is my Set-up

94 Civic Coupe SI

Stock GSR B18C, Skunk2 Intake Manifold, 65mm Edlebrock Throttle Body

PeakBoost GT30 76R .63ar w/ topmount mani

Missing From The Kit:

- Coolant Lines
- Fitting for oil feed to turbo
- Oil Drain Plug ( pan fitting for oil drain)

Issues

- Charge Piping on Intake side does not fit

- Charge Piping on Turbo side does not fit

- One piece of charge piping is not polished

- T-Bolt Clamp does not fit over TB ( was mentioned during the order that I had Skunk2 Intake and Edlebrock TB, and I was reassured that it would fit)

- Fan Mounting Kit that came with the slimfan was of very VERY poor quality and did not hold fan to radiator in any way( I ended up going to autozone and buying a mounting kit, this was while I was down in Oregon racing for ET Finals)

- Bolts for oil drain that hold the drain flange were not included in the kit

Video of Intercooler Piping Not Fitting Properly

Picture Of Unpolished Charge Pipe

Left Side of intercooler piping( jammed inside TB, and left bend jammed inside)

TB Side of Charge Piping hooked up but not lining up for left side bend of intercooler

Turbo Side of Charge Piping Fit into Intercooler but not lining up to turbo

Charge piping fit onto turbo( with outlet for chargepiping facing floor on front side of runner #1)

I was told to remove bolts to clock turbo so that i may line up the charge piping, this did not help.

Feedback Please!!!

Modified by Urban_Indian at 1:31 PM 10/8/2007
Old 09-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

considering you probably spend what 3k? on the kit? thats horrible man, i would send that back to them...
Old 09-24-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: (1Quikgsr)

Their intercooler pipings fit like ****. I had to get mine re welded locally.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:29 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: PeakBoost Topmount Fitment Issues (Urban_Indian)

Peakboost . Have seen alot of issues with their kits and manifolds. It seems that peakboost doesn't give much attention to detail anymore (or did they ever?).

Edit: Hows the manifold look? Any undercut welds on there?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:19 AM

Default Re: PeakBoost Topmount Fitment Issues (SD_Lurker)

man thats horrible quality...i'd be sending all that back to them.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I spent $4287.44 CDN on the kit and have received some poor customer service to boot, I had issues with them shipping it so I was in the process of canceling with Visa when they shipped it.

There is some undercutting on one of the runners but I was reassured by PeakBoost that it is supposed to look like that and would not crack

I was Also told NOT to cut the IC piping because this kit was designed for my car, which I feel is very untrue.....

PS. I also asked for a wardrobe of PeakBoost T-Shirts because of the delay that occured with my kit but I never received any. ( Anyone else get T-Shirts?)

Modified by Urban_Indian at 5:25 PM 9/25/2007
Old 09-25-2007, 06:37 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow...for a while i thought they were doing really well. I hope this all gets sorted out because that's a lot of money for something that doesn't work for you
Old 09-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Urban_Indian)

Urban...if you're down in Bellingham Washington I can fix and TIG those IC pipes for you. LMK.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice set-up, but it seems like a piping issue that should of been fixed prior before sending it out!
I'm sure they'll take care of it!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Re: (.RTErnie)

I will jump in for Urban Indian just for a moment here:

Thanks, for the offer .RTErnie, I am one of the guys that helped install the kit, and I own a dynasty 200dx. We were going to cut up the charge piping and redo it, as the side between the intercooler and the manifold, only needs to loose ~ 1/2" - 5/8" out of the straight section in order to fit. The turbo to intercooler, piping needs significantly more work. However I have not touched the charge piping as peakboost has instructed "UI" not to change anything.

The manifold is undercut in a few area's but not nearly as bad as I had been warned about, I guess a few of the manifolds out there looked like a great root pass, but no cap. I don't for see there being any problem with the manifold.

All in all the intercooler and downpipe fit great, the rest of it... You can see above. I don't think i will be modifying the pipes, after waiting this long for the kit, and then having all the issues that "UI" has had. If Peakboost doesn't resolve this SOON, IMHO I think that "UI" should just send it back, for a full refund, he has done, everything that they have asked, taken pics, video, made a list, they have both of his cell numbers, his home number, ect... BUT he always has to call them, as a small buisness owner myself (Snap on tools franchise) watching this, I almost can't believe it.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dvst8r)

,I Love AFI
Old 09-25-2007, 08:40 AM
B*A*N*N*E*D

Default Re: (TurboK)

Hey Levi,
When we last spoke (mid last week) we walked thru all of your install issues, with the intercooler mounting being the root of all the charge pipe problems. the fmic must be mounted completely flush with the front bumper support, in order for all the charge pipes to connect properly. also, we discussed the fact that you must connect all pipes before tightening any clamps. I then let you know that I'm here to help, and you can call me toll free for further assistance.
877-23TURBO

btw: we are currently finishing up install guides for all of the kits we offer.

being that we do this day in and day out, usually 7 days a week 10-12 hrs a day, installations like these seem to be second nature to us. W are starting to understand, however, that it would help greatly to have an installation manual when installing these kits for the first time.

thanks again

Ken Peak

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I Love AFI </TD></TR></TABLE>

we do too, the PeakBoost radio(3ipods) has over 100 of their songs, GREAT BAND!
http://www.AFireInside.net
Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lollll how bout the unpolished charge pipe?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 AM
B*A*N*N*E*D

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1Quikgsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lollll how bout the unpolished charge pipe? </TD></TR></TABLE>

we are actually just waiting on the first run of the polished topmount pipes to come in. should be about 2 more weeks.

in fact, we have zero issues in exchanging for the polished pipe once they are received
Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man....Arizona is some hostile territory....lol

Why did so many large companies end up in Arizona? Is it it's close proximity to CA and was part of the entire "west coast" scene, or did all this shops spawn out of one general group of people?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PeakBoost)

Looks like "Urban_Indian" spent a lot of his time getting all this together and posting it up for us to read and reply too so here's my thinking....take as you will.

As a customer myslef =
You seemed to provide Peakboost with alot of the issue's here on the post, but did you send it to them by email to give them a chance to look into it before you posted ? I seee you waited for a long time and understand if everything you posted is true then you have the right o be upset...but there is always 2 sides to a story. Spending my money means I should get some sort of help --- but not a step by step intall.

As a business =
If a customer is not happy with anything we sale we always offer to have it looked over by us .. of course for free. Then issue is EVERYTIME the customer is already mad or unhappy which means sending back 4000.00 in parts is the last thing they want to hear. But how can we fix a problem ( if there is 1 ) over the phone ?

Now as a shop that has been installing parts for 10+ years and has heard it all =
No 2 cars are ever alike - not going to happen, I own 5 eg's which we have here and none are "twins" or even fit parts the same. Mounts can be different ( stock or aftermarket ) which moves the engine around, remember 1/2 on the left means up to 3/4 on th right ! Also we are dealing with cars that are up to 18 years old ( not that yours is ) and can have after market core supports / bumper mounts which can change how a parts mounts or sits.

If you are still willing to try to get it up and running =

Ever kit we have installed from PeakBoost has bolted up with no issues - we always start by "mocking up" the parts in th car first. This just means to put it all together on the car hand tight and look at how everything "clocks" and clears the car and chassis. Then we mark the boots / clamos and pipes ans start from the turbo side and work to the throttle body. Just becuase the inteercooler "should" be mounted HERE !!!! doesnt mean you can't move it over 1/4 inch or back a little to clear your car.

Either way you want to go I see they have offered you what you want and will do anything to make you happy, costing them customers helps no one.

Jason Whitfield

Old 09-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PeakBoost Topmount Fitment Issues (Urban_Indian)

WOW!!!!

That Sucks
Old 09-25-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: PeakBoost Topmount Fitment Issues (gunslinger)

Taking the bolts off the compressor housing is not a good idea man. Just loosen them slightly as the clearances are very tight with the compressor wheel to the housing if it slides too much to one side you might risk damaging the blades.

Sorry to hear that you got issue but hopefully you will get to enjoy it soon
Old 09-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PeakBoost Topmount Fitment Issues (CRX T-Si)

Well here's the way I see it. Not everyone installing kits has installed kits 10-12 hrs a day for years. Most often this is the first. Furthermore, customer service and GOOD COMMUNICATION are KEY in running a business. I'm not sure what the problems are here, but clarity and good explanations would be very helpful.

I have also seen the car and kit in person and the only suggestion I had heard at the time issued from PB, was to move the intercooler further toward the bumper support. ??!!?? well there is the beam that sits in the bumper cover that the intercooler is mounted to is that what was being talked about? Everything was trial mounted and then intercooler placed accordingly, but maybe someone can clarify to me what "move the IC closer to the bumper support" means? Hopefully i'm not way off base here UI, has this been resolved yet?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: PeakBoost Topmount Fitment Issues (CRX T-Si)

CRX T-Si, only one bolt is removed, all the rest are just loosened, you have to remove this bolt or it will not clear the manifold, when you clock it.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Re: PeakBoost Topmount Fitment Issues (dvst8r)

Also we are not talking a 1/4" or 1/2" here or there, on the throttle body side yes, I'm sure we could make it work, on the turbo side it is out like 2.5" - 3" I really think that someone packaged the wrong pipe for the turbo to intercooler. The intercooler could be moved left or right some on the car, but forward and back not at all without droping it below the sheet metal or cutting the intercooler or sheet metal. I have installed hundreds of engines, transmissions, swaps, turbo kits ect... We have access to every imaginable hand and power tool. The whole point of buying a kit is to save the time and effort, of finding all the little fittings, and making up the charge piping, it would have been way cheaper just to have bought a manifold and done the rest ourselves, but Levi was in a time crunch and had the money, so a kit it was.

This is more then just a fitment issue, it is an ongoing issue of a lack of communication. I have been at Levi's (UI) house several times when he has been on the phone with peakboost, He orderd this kit if my memory serves me right @ the begining to middle of July. He was told the latest it would ship is Aug 5th. Then he was told it was already to ship they were just waiting to weld on the bung for his pyro probe. Then he was told his manifold was just finished being welded and was on the cooling rack. Finally it gets here and it is missing all of the water cooling lines and fittings for the GT30R, and the Oil return fitting for the oil pan, and the oil feed fitting for the turbo. After all of this it still is dragging on forever to get anything resolved, Levi always has to call peakboost, they NEVER return his calls, that I have seen, despite having both his cell numbers and his house number. This is why this post was created to see if anybody else had issues with there top mount GT30R kits.

Finally the time delay has now cost Levi ANY chance @ being able to run at the track this year. As we are in Northern Canada Like ~ 800KM's North of the border, we are as far north of the border as the Oregon, California border is south of the Border and are coming into winter. Our current high's are in the mid 40's and low's are in the high 20's. It will be less then a month (if this is a typical year) until we get snow that will be here till spring, it will now be Late April, early May before the track will be open again.

Levi can comment and / or fix anything that I might have said wrong so as not to mislead anyone.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Whitfield Inc.)

Whitfield Inc. - You are correct I did take alot of time to put this thread together, I had these photos from before because I sent them to peakboost weeks ago hoping for some help.

If you are going to get into being the customer side here is a short version of my PeakBoost.

Ordered after a lengthy research session of turbo kits - July 2nd with Todd, and was told that the ship date would be July 24th at earliest and Aug 5th at the ABSOLUTE latest.

I called a couple times between the 2nd and the 24th and was reassured my kit was just awaiting the manifold to be put together and was scheduled to ship the end of the month.

August 5th came and I heard nothing from PeakBoost about my kit so I called. No answer from 8am - 12pm i gave up phoning and called the next day.

I wanted an EGT bung put in so i had it expressed to them (3 days from Northern BC) and was told my kit was just awaiting this bung. Untrue.

A week or so later my kit was apparently put together it just needed to be shipped. Which they only shipped on Friday's. I was told this once or twice. I continued to call and Todd was away for personal reasons. Ken took care of me and said that he was just making my manifold and that he had it right infront of him. After putting the bung in he was going to put it on the cooling rack. he assured me it would ship the next day. (meanwhile I am already starting to cancel my order with Visa because I am feeling played) This was midweek. The kit i believe was shipping the following Monday.

I wanted him to recheck the kit because if Phoenix Turbo missed some parts it would delay my being turbo'd by another week, Ken assured me that all the parts were there. I also wanted him to ship it was a warranty repair as to not get raped by customs.

Customs red flagged my parcel because the value was placed as $1. It got held up there awaiting paperwork from PeakBoost. Who needed to show how much the kit was worth to UPS. They had a broken fax machine( which to me being in a family that owns SEVERAL businesses would go buy one immediately, borrow someones, or go to staples and pay the $0.50 to fax some paperwork.) after this delay of 5-8 days PeakBoost came through and I did not have to pay Customs Fees. I held my Turbo for the first time Sept. 3rd and my manifold Sept. 4th.

I emailed and called Todd about my missing pieces from the kit and my fitment issues with the intercooler and oil drain. The piping was not an issue because we can refit it. I was told NOT to cut it so we awaited further instruction. Ken took over with my customer service at this point and I sent an email asking about my missing parts and it was not replied to. I guarantee 100% that I have been on the phone with peakboost for 3+ hours in the past couple months and conversed many a time through emails.

I made this thread not to bash PeakBoost, but to inquire if anyone else had issues with their Kits. I have asked for my missing parts numerous times only to have them ignored and go straight to how I am installing the kit improperly.

Ken - I sent you a PM,

Here are the pictures of the piping as it fits with NO T-Bolt Clamps, silicon only.

and the grand finale take it or leave it( when I say V-Band in the video I meant to say T-bolt clamps)

Old 09-25-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: (Urban_Indian)

Um..so your problem is that you didn't get a bigger FMIC?
Piping looks pretty good. It may be off just a bit, but when you get the clamps on, it will be just fine.
Obviously you were expecting a bolt on, No work involved kit. Grab a couple tabs and bolt on your IC and screw the tabs to the chassis (or weld )
Unless I've completely overlooked something, your kit looks just fine. Want better? ~ build it yourself. Its the only way to insure 100% correct fit.

The missing parts though, I would agree need to be resolved Now..not yesterday, not this coming Friday, not~let me check with my supplier...Now.
When it comes to that unpolished pipe, I think its really weak of PeakBoost to expect the old one returned. $10 worth of pipe...come on. Fix your sad mistake and just send the kid a new one...seriously weak. I couldn't imagine getting away with that crap.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:36 PM
B*A*N*N*E*D

Default Re: (XSIintegra)

We don't expect the unpolished pipe back... lol

This is honestly the first complaint we've have had with our HVS topmount kit. I will personally be installing this kit on our shop EG thursday to create the installation guide

Levi and I are taking care of everything thru pm's

/thread

Ken Peak
Old 09-25-2007, 11:15 PM

Default Re: (PeakBoost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PeakBoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we have zero issues in exchanging for the polished pipe once they are received </TD></TR></TABLE>

ex·change (ĭks-chānj')
1. To give in return for something received; trade: exchange dollars for francs; exchanging labor for room and board.
2. To give and receive reciprocally; interchange: exchange gifts; exchange ideas.
3. To give up for a substitute: exchange a position in the private sector for a post in government.
4. To turn in for replacement: exchange defective merchandise at a store.

Or did I miss something? Exchange means you expected it back "lol"
Would be cool to see you address the multiple missing part issue.

Quick Reply: PeakBoost Topmount Fitment Issues