Notices

Part Throttle Hesitation / Surging

Old 03-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part Throttle Hesitation / Surging

I'm getting some hesitation and surging when in a couple different part throttle situations and am trying to find a solution.

The one that bothers me the most is when im driving trying to maintain a consistent speed maybe 10-20% throttle and i get a surge. Its small quick surges. It kinda feels like the throttle is increasing real quick and letting off. Although i cant hear the engine increasing and the rpms don't move. It doesn't matter how fast or what rpm im at. Just as long as im in part throttle im getting these surges.

This ones more of a hesitation. I always rev match when im down shifting. When i go to give the throttle a quick blip almost nothing happens at first. I have to hold the pedal down a little longer. Not much but enough to be an annoyance.

One more hesitation thing. If the car gets to operating temperature i turn it off and sits for a little while without going down to ambient temperature i get a huge hesitation until i get get it past 2500 rpm once i start it up and start driving again. It kinda bogs until i can get it past that certain rpm then it takes off as normal. It will do that for a little while and they go away.

Somehow i think all these things are interconnected but im not even sure what to start looking at. Car is a civic with a typical turbo set up. Hondata s300. I just finished the build last year and have put around 8000 miles on it.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Part Throttle Hesitation / Surging

is it tuned? how do your plugs look?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kyden
is it tuned? how do your plugs look?
yes, it was tuned by Evans Tuning. The plugs look good but i have replaced them anyway to see it that made a difference and it didn't.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have a wideband? is the check engine light on? and if so have you pulled the codes?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tofast4uh22
do you have a wideband? is the check engine light on? and if so have you pulled the codes?
Yes i have a wideband and its reading at normal. No CELs. Cars pulls hard and smooth at WOT.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car does the same thing, just not as bad as yours. it gets way worse when the o2 sensor is crapping out.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like TPS sensor is crapping out on you.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sleepinonacreeper
my car does the same thing, just not as bad as yours. it gets way worse when the o2 sensor is crapping out.
my car dose something like this too, but I just put another new denso O2 sensor in it. can they crap out that quickly?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastEg6
Sounds like TPS sensor is crapping out on you.
^^^^^agreed. Throttle Position Sensor.
Not that common with Hondas, but not totaly unheard of.
I've run into a few of them, and they can give you symptoms exactly like this.
Also, you should make sure your Throttle Cable doesn't have any slack in itt. Be sure it's properly secured.
good luck
Old 03-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00si2
yes, it was tuned by Evans Tuning. The plugs look good but i have replaced them anyway to see it that made a difference and it didn't.
Call up Jeff and ask his opinion. Seriously, this is definitely your best bet. It would probably be beneficial for him to see some datalogs to help diagnose the problem. If it is the TPS sensor, it should show up on the datalogs.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for suggestions.

The car doesn't have any o2 sensors. So it cant be that.

Ill have to look into the TPS sensor. Would that throw a code if it was on its way out? Ill prob give Jeff a call if i don't get anywhere with any of this. I like to try and do a little trouble shooting before bothering him.

Oh and what would i look for in the datalogs for the TPS sensor?
Old 03-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CRXminiZ
my car dose something like this too, but I just put another new denso O2 sensor in it. can they crap out that quickly?

nah, mine last quite awhile.

look for what looks like random glitches of the tps in your datalogs or readings that dont make sense based off of where your holding your throttle
Old 05-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the exact problem I am having, I will try the O2 sensor and TPS.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any updates on this problem??
Old 11-18-2012, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

(I am having a similar problem to the one in this thread)

Hi everyone!

I am brand new to the honda-tech forum and fairly new to the world of Hondas. A good few years back I owned a 1994 Accord LX and it was a great car, but at the time I was not much of a gear head. I would change the oil, check the coolant drive the pi$$ out of her. Now, since owning a VW I have learned to work on cars and here I am today, proudly owning another Honda.

A little history about the car I am having problems with...

Recently I purchased a 1994 Accord EX. I got her for $200 due to the previous owner blowing the head gasket sky high and completely destroying the motor. So, a month or so ago I purchased a used engine and did the swap.

Yesterday I got everything screwed, bolted, and bunkered down. Hooked up all the sensors, batted down all the hatches and fired the motor over.

At first, the motor started just fine, but it wanted to stall out unless you played with the throttle. Then, if you gave it some throttle the motor would hesitate constantly until you then mashed the gas, then it would rev up and sound ok.

The video below shows how the motor sounded on initial start-up, with all sensors plugged in and vacuum lines connected.

Then, to stabilize the idle issue we disconnected the part circled in the picture yellow below and sealed off the vacuum. We also unplugged the solenoid circled in the pic below in blue and looped the hoses back into the fuel injector rail.

The car then idled perfectly, but at low to medium throttle the car would then hesitate and the rpm's jumped up and down from 1200 to 2000, and up and down and up and down! This video below shows us messing with the vacuum lines and how it idled and also how the throttle jumps all over, even when holding the throttle at a constant place. Pardon my friends hand in the way. He was holding the throttle at a steady place.

Also, just to add, the car is a '94 Accord EX. The original motor was blown so I swapped in an engine I bought in the picture below. I used my old intake/throttle body and bolted it on to the used motor f22b1 motor I bought.

Every sensor was hooked back up except this motor has the cam sensor in the timing chain cover, my current set up now is obd1 (1994). Is there something I am doing wrong or missed? Could the TPS be going bad on me? A hunch I have is the TPS went bad because the lady who had the car before me, drove the car til it overheated beyond belieft. When we removed the throttle body and air intake boot, water came pouring out! So, I am tending to think the water getting into the intake and what not, ruined the TPS sensor.

In closing, I am super excited to be a member of this forum and can't wait to learn and grow old with my Honda!!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for some insight...