Notices

PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits.

I just recently acquired a Palm m515 for a very good price, planned on using it for wideband O2 display. I've run into a few apps and hardware tweaks you might want to be aware of...

FMDLog which is a PalmOS wideband display and datalogger. It can handle two other inputs aside from the wideband input.

Here and here have the pinouts for the M500 series Pam, and the Tungsten, as they do not offer anything other than USB cables for them. Constructing a TTL to serial converter cable for one should be trivial... especially when you use a $5 Nokia cell serial cable and buy a spare 3com 16 pin connector. If you were blessed with a USB data cable with your Palm, you can wire a NULL serial adapter and just reuse that cable.

Now, this hunk of goodness is a Palm-based accelerometer, much akin to Doc's G-spot. It might be something interesting to play with.

There should be a good bit more left to offer from the PDA's with more than the 20 minutes worth of netsearching I have done... I found my m515 more robust and flexible than I ASSumed it would be. A perusal of http://www.pricewatch.com turns up a number of lesser but perfectly good PDAs in the $50 range (make sure they are backlit for after dark use)... which is exactly what the Techedge AF display runs. The Techedge display doesn't datalog, play games, email, IRC, telnet, or a bunch of other features for the same money. If you have a bigger budget, the newer ones play MP3s and can display color pictures (family, friends, car, ****, etc).
Old 06-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (J. Davis)

Good info thanks as I will be picking up a techegde this month. Also from reading their page am I correct in thinking if you get the palm, you don't need their display?

Modified by bruthaboost at 2:55 PM 6/9/2003
Old 06-09-2003, 03:24 PM

Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (bruthaboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bruthaboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also from reading their page am I correct in thinking if you get the palm, you don't need their display?

Modified by bruthaboost at 2:55 PM 6/9/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>
That is correct.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (sharkcohen)

ttt

This is good info - WB display, datalogger, and toy for the same price as the Techedge display. I'd like people to be aware of it.

The older PalmOS PDAs just need a $7 NULL modem adapter for their serial data cable to plug directly into a wideband unit. Mine (m500 series) or the new Tungsten pretty much uses USB, but I'll be taking pics of the TTL-serial cable I make for it and posting them up. This **** isn't hard - everybody else has already done all the hard work for you.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (J. Davis)

i havent read through all the info yet, but does anyone know if something like this availble for a Sony Clie w/ PalmOS4.
i think so, but i am not quite sure
Thanks
Old 06-10-2003, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (Burke)

or how about a port to compcrap pocketpc/wince.. otherwise &lt;50$ is pretty damn affordable considering..
Old 06-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (XDEep)

It works on anything PalmOS 3.5 or newer.

Sorry, XDEep, no WinCE action.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have both the 5301 display as well as a palm. i'm glad i have the display because i think it would be a pain to mount it in the car as well as turn it on everytime. of course many of you dont use the a/f gauge after its tuned, but personally i like to always monitor it. thats just me. although yes, the palm software is nice. and thanks for posting the stuff about the acceleration logging - i'll have to look more into that.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:12 AM

Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (keebler65)

im using the display and the palm also,display is permanatly mounted and the cable for my plam is ran to the center console,i just pull it out and plug up the palm when i want to log.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:50 AM

So the Handspring Visor with Palm OS should work as well??
Old 06-11-2003, 09:04 AM

Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (swlabhot)

as long as it has os 3.5 or higer

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swlabhot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So the Handspring Visor with Palm OS should work as well??</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (civictypenos)

Aww, group hug.

Monitors and LOGs wideband, rpm, and a couple other inputs. You could set those to MAP (so you can tune a non-datalogged programmable EFI setup like my kludgy one) and IAT to monitor charge temps. They make in-car mounts for PDAs, but I don't like the $40-60 pricetags, so I'll shop around.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to bring back from the archives..

im recently upgrading my management to uberdata.. but ide like to use my VX O2 torwards a widband reader.

what models of tech edge products would i need.

im guessing controller, cable, and display. i dont know how to datalogg nor, have a PC for the car. so i guess thats out of the question.

but im hopeing i can use my O2 torards reading WB.. and tunning my setup.

what do i need from tech edge?
Old 10-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (Built B16A)

ok, ive heard from a few poeple they have used they're OEM 5 wire NTK O2 sensor with the pre-built 1.5V kit from tech edge.

i was on the website, and they no longer sell the 1.5, now the next in line is the 2.0.

i looked on the order sheet. its damn near 400 bucks! thats with me supplying my own sensor!

in the sponsor classifieds, a PLX with an included O2 sensor and digital readout is $330. is this right?
Old 10-26-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (Built B16A)

Those are .au dollars... Cost is more like $200-ish for a fairly complex kit you assemble yourself.

I'd go with one of the prepackaged units like PLX, Innovative, etc. I think a prepackaged Techedge is comparably priced after you take into account the conversion from AUS to USD, but that's up to you to check out.

What is it, the PLX-500 with the wireless USB hookup? That's the route I'd go if I didn't already have a "bag of wires" which holds my tuenar ECU, EconoROM3, wideband, etc, and all I do is run a power lead to the cig lighter, one cable to the wideband sensor in the exhaust, and two/three cables to my laptop. All the clutter stays in the bag, and there can be a LOT of it.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did do a currancy conversion. the 2.0 tech ecge was likke 520 AUS dollars, and coverted it was still over 300 american. thats w/o a sensor.. rediculous.

the more and more i think about it.. i think i might go with the PLX. replacement sensors are only 60 bucks, and maybe i can sell my OEM honda NTK sensor, and offset my expences here.

as for wireless and datalogging. i dont'k now about all that, i don't have a laptop, nor any clue about datalogging. im BARLEY getting a hang of this uberdata deal.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you don't want the NTK sensor for the techedge v2.0. use the bosch 7057 sensor with the v2.0 kit. this is taken directly from the techedge order page:

If you live in the USA you can probably get these sensors more cheaply from 1stVWparts.com. We are making them available because extra freight costs can drive up the total price you pay. If you don't live in Australia, then the following source may be cheaper than our price :
Buy VW part # 021-906-262-B from 1stVWparts.com sensor US$28.95+ US$6.95 shipping total US$35.90
Old 10-26-2004, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: PalmOS wideband display, datalogger, and other interesting tidbits. (keebler65)

thanks keebler for the info.

im just wondering since i have a NTK sensor left from my VX.. can i use my sensor torwards wideband? i hope so.. since i was under the impression the actuall sensor is usually the bulk of the cost.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bro, if you want a wideband for Uberdata, you want a laptop and datalogging.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keebler65 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you don't want the NTK sensor for the techedge v2.0. use the bosch 7057 sensor with the v2.0 kit. this is taken directly from the techedge order page:

If you live in the USA you can probably get these sensors more cheaply from 1stVWparts.com. We are making them available because extra freight costs can drive up the total price you pay. If you don't live in Australia, then the following source may be cheaper than our price :
Buy VW part # 021-906-262-B from 1stVWparts.com sensor US$28.95+ US$6.95 shipping total US$35.90 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sadly, 1stVWparts.com recently upped their prices. It's more like $50 shipped for the sensor.. not too bad, but not $35 anymore.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, im hopeing to run uberdata.. and get my hands on a wideband with display and trail and error a tune overnight.

its not dyno, and its not tunned by a profesional.. but im thinking its gunna be street safe atleast.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Built B16A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks keebler for the info.

im just wondering since i have a NTK sensor left from my VX.. can i use my sensor torwards wideband? i hope so.. since i was under the impression the actuall sensor is usually the bulk of the cost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, actually you can use the NTK sensor with the v2.0, however you'll need to adjust the jumper settings to allow for it.