Notices

To oversize bore or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To oversize bore or not?

I tried doing a search for this question but I didn't really find a clear answer. Apparently Endyn says that not overboring when rebuilding your engine is only doing a half-assed job. But I just wanted to clarify this fact. I will be rebuilding my engine in the coming months for my turbo. I will put in lower compression pistons (probably JE), rods (Eagle) and new bearings. My block has approx. 75,000 miles on it but I can still see the factory honing marks on the cylinder walls. I don't really feel it's necessary to bore the cylinders because the cylinders seem to be in pretty good condition. Would it be necessary for me to bore out the cylinders? Should I first measure the cylinders' current bore size with a bore gauge and go from there? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-21-2001, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To oversize bore or not? (B18CHatch)

Just measure the bores, if they are still within spec after honing then there is no reason to bore the block over.

Regurgitated endyn info has caused nothing but trouble.

Dustin
Old 10-21-2001, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To oversize bore or not? (dustin)

i second what dustin wrote...

on a side note... and sorry if i may upset some people... but sometimes i wish the word "endyn" could just be banned from this site... granted he has SOME useful information... this usefull info many times covers up for his BS... i mean that comment right there by him should be deemed just idiotic... and this isnt from second hand experience... first hand i have seen 600+ hp motors being produced without going overbore... granted they have been resleeved... but even after some blocks have dropped valves... they have not been bored out...

Old 10-21-2001, 03:26 PM
Joe
Trial User

Default Re: To oversize bore or not? (ek9t)

The main problem with Larry, IMO, is that he tries to make general and all inclusive rules about everything. Aka, this works, this does not, do this, do not do that. He makes many assumptions. We would be much better off if he would just give realistic answers about everything.
Old 10-21-2001, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To oversize bore or not? (Joe Morris)

Cool, thanks a bunch guys. I was kind of skeptical about his remark..didn't make too much sense to me...I just had to be sure! Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2001, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To oversize bore or not? (Joe Morris)

I agree. Just measure and see if they are within spec if you do not want to bore it. If I was going to do a complete rebuild I would probably go oversize just to be on the safe side. It's called a rebuild for a reason. You should be fine though. I suggest going oversizing if you have blown your engine in some way. It would be a must to do so.
Old 10-21-2001, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To oversize bore or not? (ek9t)

hmm, the whole point of going overbore .020 isn't to increase displacement but to ensure the bores are true, so no sh*t a freshly resleeved motor doesn't require any overboring. If you don't like endyn that's your perogative, but the least you could do is read carefully or atleast think so you'd see he means the rebore is mainly meant for people with stock sleeves. hone marks or not that doesn't mean the bore is true. this isn't an endyn exclusive idea. call Benson's automotive machine and he'll tell you the same thing.
Old 10-21-2001, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: To oversize bore or not? (SEFI8LOxCivic)

Yah, but it kinda sounds like he doesn't want to spend the money for a complete rebuild. We are resleeving our b16a2 and we are staying with a stock 81mm bore just incase we do blow our motor we won't have a problem boring it out later. Stay stock then overbore only when you need to. In his case he probably doesn't have to, even though it recommended for a proper rebuild.