Notices

Overheating with turbo back on???

Old 01-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating with turbo back on???

<FONT COLOR="blue">New pictures added, scroll down</FONT>

oooook Im getting frusturated.

95 GSR, 95 hatch.
Drag gen 3 kit, .5 bar.

The other night, I was boosting...and the line came off to my coolant reservoir. Overheated, stuck on side of road.

Tonight, boosting in 2nd gear, and then 3rd gear. Looked down, only to see that GOD DAMMED coolant gauge climbing...FAST!

Slow down, let the load off the motor, and the coolant temps drop (a TAD). Coast down to my house, pull into my driveway...sit there.

I inform my friend to shut the car off if it starts to overheat. When I begin to leave the car, I notice the guage climbing again. The engine was overheating sliiiightly and slowly climbing.

Details:

Thermostat replaced maybe 500 miles ago. never overheated prior to tonight.

Fan switch replaced.

FAL fan, motor tested...motor fine. Relay was (TOLD) it was in right, I dont thin I ahve to worry about it being in backwards.

Fuse good

Why in hell is my engine overheating? I just installed a new headgasket, it couldnt have blown this early could it? I bled the coolant liens when I refilled it.

The motor doesnt constsntly overheat. IT was fine when I Was cruising (well...not FINE, but better) and it started to overheat when it sat there.

also, the cap to the reservoir was loose when I pulled over, and coolant was (once again) all over my engine, and hood. IT kind of sounds like a radiator cap problem, is this corect?

Any love?
Sebastian

[Modified by B18EG6, 2:15 PM 1/23/2003]
Old 01-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating with turbo back on??? (B18EG6)

Aww man...after doing a search I saw that some people said if it overheated when boosting, there is a possibility that the cylinder walls were cracked.

Its too late to do a compression test, dont want to awake anyone. But the other day, after I lost all of my coolant before (and....WHY did this happen???) I did a compression test, and yielded about 190 all the way across.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

okay...so...can anyone answer

if i had a crack in my cylinder wall, why would it drive fine until I hit boost, then decide to spill coolant everywhere and overheat slightly?
Old 01-22-2003, 04:37 PM

timing could be way too advanced....

but more than likely it's either headgasket problems, or cracked sleeve...

did you install the headgasket? was it new? and well, did you do a good job?
Old 01-22-2003, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating with turbo back on??? (Ruckus138)

Blown head gasket...
Old 01-22-2003, 04:50 PM

Probably a blown headgasket. How many times have you overheated? You should probably get the head re-surfaced because it may be warped and leak oil into your cooling system.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your response.

I did put a nice new headgasket on. I resurfaced the head, so I know the surfaces that sealed were pretty good. There is no oil in the coolant, but it is a litttttttle cloudy...I was told this could also be from the silica dropping out of the coolant.

I made sure to go through very slowly and not forget anything. I torqued everythign down to spec, and then retorqued it to make sure it was still good. (no leftover bolts or anything )

How can the timing advanced, I made sure everythign was at TDC and rotated it around like 10 times..no skipped teeth, tdc marks still lined up.

What would cause it to lose coolant/overheat when it was only under boost?
Old 01-22-2003, 05:13 PM

What would cause it to lose coolant/overheat when it was only under boost?
usually the headgasket
Old 01-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so on that note...why would a brand new headgasket just bite the dust?

Nothing has changed from the setup before I did the headgasket...Only new valves springs/retainers.

Wouldnt there be oil in the coolant, or not necessarily? I will do a leakdown test asap and see what happens.

What is the compression numbers are good, and the leakdown yields nothing wrong?

<FONT COLOR="blue">Would a compression test see if there is a crack in the cylinder wall?

Would a leakdown test be able to diagnose a crack in the cylinder wall, seeing as how no cylinder is exposed when at TDC (needed for leakdown test)
</FONT>

[Modified by B18EG6, 9:37 PM 1/22/2003]

[Modified by B18EG6, 9:37 PM 1/22/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 05:33 PM

Did you reuse factory headbolts? Probably stretched, especially underboost and blew the headgasket.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating with turbo back on??? (boostaholic)

Did you reuse factory headbolts? Probably stretched, especially underboost and blew the headgasket.
no, I used ARP with moly lube, torqued to 78 ft/lbs
Old 01-22-2003, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was experiencing the same thing, but this was due to my blockguard. Its most likely headgasket/sleeves.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating with turbo back on??? (boosted hybrid)

Two things I didnt mention because I dont know if they are relevant:

1: There was goop in the coolant when I drained it from the block. I was told it was muchy because of the silica dropping out of the coolant. Could this cause overheating?

2: I had a BROKE *** vafc hooked up. None of the settings were set, ever. Stock injectors, no need to use the vafc. I just disconnected it from the harness, but not where i soldered it onto the ECU. <FONT COLOR="red">would a connected vafc harness to the ecu cause the ecu NOT to send signals to certain sensors?</FONT>
Old 01-22-2003, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks again for looking at this. I took some pictures to show you guys my coolant.

Here is the coolant in a big gulp cup (big gulps....alright!) Looks good so far, right?

Here is the **** it left behind

These pictures compare normal coolant to MY coolant. The TOP is normal coolant, while the BOTTOM is my coolant

I dont know if these pictures show anything conclusive, thanks for viewing them

Sebastian
Old 01-22-2003, 07:12 PM

That **** in your coolant does not look good man. Is your radiator old? When was the last time you did a flush? BTW, if your head gasket was blown or the block was cracked you would be smoking a bit.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Overheating with turbo back on??? (99GSRT)

Also, that coolant looks really thick, did you buy the 50/50 mixed or was it pure coolant and you needed to add water yourself?

[Modified by 99GSRT, 4:13 AM 1/23/2003]
Old 01-22-2003, 07:59 PM

Those bits of black pieces look like hardened oil deposits or something. I had those in my coolant after my head warped due to overheating and had to flush my radiator out.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating with turbo back on??? (swrdply400mrelay)

Yeah I hope you mixed it at least 50/50. My buddy with a stock civ dx changed his coolant one day and told me ever since his car was overheating consistantly. He didn't know what caused it. I finally asked him if he mixed it 50/50 and he said no, he didn't want to be 'cheap'. Well, far from cheap, antifreeze doesn't work w/o water! I know your probably not retarded like him, but still, funny, and good info for those who don't know (anyone?).
Old 01-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating with turbo back on??? (Johnyquest)

Thanks, lemme answer some questions. Im going to flush the system, and radiator again today. Does the car NEEEED to be on? the only part that isnt seeing the flush is the part from the rad to the thermostat...right?

That **** in your coolant does not look good man. Is your radiator old? When was the last time you did a flush? BTW, if your head gasket was blown or the block was cracked you would be smoking a bit.
My radiator is maybe two years old. It was given to me at the time of the swap, by inline pro. It isnt a stock 'honda' radiator...some weird aftermarket shat.

I like to hear that I would be smoking if my HG was blown, because im definately NOT smoking at all. not at idle, not under load.

Also, that coolant looks really thick, did you buy the 50/50 mixed or was it pure coolant and you needed to add water yourself?
It does look pretty thick huh. Well I bought the pure coolant, and tried to eyeball a nice mixture. I guess I made it too much coolant.

Yeah I hope you mixed it at least 50/50. My buddy with a stock civ dx changed his coolant one day and told me ever since his car was overheating consistantly. He didn't know what caused it. I finally asked him if he mixed it 50/50 and he said no, he didn't want to be 'cheap'. Well, far from cheap, antifreeze doesn't work w/o water! I know your probably not retarded like him, but still, funny, and good info for those who don't know (anyone?).
Thanks for your reply. I did mix it, but I guess I didnt mix it too well. I did this mixture....monday, and I used tap water. For some reason, Giant foods was out of distilled water, and I couldnt find it. I didnt look too hard, on the whim that I could find some later this week.

One thing though...I used to have a VAFC, and now I dont. I mentioned above that the VAFC was NOT used to idle out any injectors, or anything at all. It was broken and didnt work worth a ****. I recently disconnected it, but I was yet to disconnect the ECU side of the wiring harness.....

unnnntil today I realized that the VAFC inturrepted the MAP signal, and VTEC signal.

<FONT COLOR="red">could having this disconnected have an adverse, similiar effect on my motor?</FONT>

Thanks in advance
Sebastian
Old 01-23-2003, 08:13 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Try doing a compression test again, along with a leak down. only way you can be sure. Try running pure water...
Old 01-23-2003, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating with turbo back on??? (GraphiteAccord)

whats the block setup?
Old 01-23-2003, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating with turbo back on??? (SOUNDEFFECTS)

Stock block

im going to do a compression and leakdown test right now.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok. Did compression test, but oneee question.

I dont have the valve stem for the inside of the hose. It broke off (non in my motor). HOWEVER, the cylinder still compresses itself, but the reading does not stay on the dial.

I recorded the peak of each cylinder

4: 160
3: 160
2: 180
1: 180

And here are my spark plugs...why is one of them black, right beneath the electrode?

My compressor wont stop tripping fuses, so I cant charge it to do a leakdown test yet.

[Modified by B18EG6, 2:18 PM 1/23/2003]
Old 01-23-2003, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating with turbo back on??? (hndarcr)

Did yours only overheat under boost, or load?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:20 AM
Boostless97Lude

did u do a compression test at WOT?? i mean, was the throttle plate all the way open when you did the test?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating with turbo back on???