Notices

Overheating... process of elimination...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 10:07 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating... process of elimination...

OK... Assuming it's not a blown head gasket causing my overheating (since i just put this one in about 3 months ago and have no detonation problems); I pulled the water pump last night, and of course it is FINE. Thermostat is new, fan running full time; temperature is still spiking, after any more than 35-40 minutes of driving it starts heating up and gets really bad if I slow down. What's my next logical step? Should I take the whole car in to a radiator shop and have it pressure tested, or would it be better to remove the radiator and take it in for a closer look? I'm just totally lost here, don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know this is a very common topic around here but for me it's the only one that matters!!!
Old 08-07-2001, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Overheating... process of elimination... (dbman96)

What kind of condition is the radiator in? Sounds like thats the only thing left. What temp is it running at btw?
Old 08-07-2001, 10:28 AM
G

50/50 water coolant ratio, look inside the radiator to see if its caked with goo, or just brown or so.

Assuming the pump is working, fans are running, maybe its a defective sensor. I don't know exactly how to test your particular coolant temp sensor, but if you put it in boiling water and check the resistance, a helms manual has a graph to check its calibration (boiling water is 100 degrees C, so you won't need a thermometer). If there is no pinging/knocking, and it's just a gauge discrepancy, the sensor would be the problem. When your car is all hot, pull over and open the hood, if there is a leak, you'll know by the leak, it has quite a bit of pressure when its hot, don't open the radiator cap. The only real way to test the sensor is to remove it and put it in boiling water to check the resistance, or put it in hot water then check the temp with a thermometer and the resistance to see if they correspond....... HTH
Old 08-07-2001, 10:28 AM
New User

try replacing your coolant temp switch, and thermostat if you haven't already. It sounds like your thermostat isn't opening, and if thats the case, having a fan running all the time isnt gonna do squat.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Overheating... process of elimination... (VaporTrail)

Radiator was replaced in '99 due to a crack... thermostat is now my third - I replaced with a standard thermostat and then tried a 160F thermostat; I checked all the thermostats in hot water and they all opened as they should. I'm interested in the coolant temp sensor check; I don't have a helms manual, could someone post what the resistance is supposed to be? And which sensor should I be checking? As I recall there are at least 3 temp sensors on the engine; It's a '96 GSR if that helps. Thanks guys.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:58 PM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

my damn gsr is overheating too...i feel all the hoses and their hot.....thats how i check my thermostat if the top left hose is hot? is that a way to check? does the timing belt have anythign to do with my overheating?
Old 08-07-2001, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating... process of elimination... (bommiE)

Perhaps you have a cracked head or perhaps you installed the gasket incorrectly. I'm not trying to say you don't know what your doing but I've put head gaskets on before lots of room for error. Good luck with your problem.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:38 PM
G

Default Re: Overheating... process of elimination... (bommiE)

Bommie, you have to actually remove the thermostat and check it, everything in the engine compartment gets hot, and all the coolant hoses get hot, whether or not the thermostat is working.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:11 AM
New User

check your factory service manual. If you dont have one yet, now that I dont understand
Old 08-08-2001, 08:22 AM
New User

Thanks, that was really incredibly helpful. This happens to be the first time I've needed information that was only available in the factory service manual. I know the Haynes manuals are terrible but it's gotten me this far. Silly me, I was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me out instead of just telling me I don't get to be in the club until I buy a manual; that way I might be able to actually fix my car instead of leaving it on jackstands in my garage until I can get ahold of a manual.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:37 AM
New User

Did you ever change the origional radiator cap? Make sure the cap is the right pressure.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:40 AM
New User

I think you took it the wrong way. I just believe that for 65 bucks, it's the handiest tool you'll ever purchase. I know that at least once a week I use mine. It has very useful trouble shooting procedures inside that other manuals just glaze over. I was really trying to be helpful, C'mon, you know I'm not a dick like that, right?
Old 08-08-2001, 01:54 PM
New User

Yeah, I apologize; I know I should have one and I'm probably ordering one today; this whole cooling system problem just is driving me crazy, using up my sleep time, and leaving me in an all-around pissy mood and I keep hoping someone is going to reveal the truth to me in a big flash of light. I've done all the obvious stuff; radiator cap and thermostat are definitely OK. Guess it's time to take it to a "professional".

Old 08-08-2001, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is you turbo water cooled or oil? You see on my friend 92 LS turbo he was having overheating problems. I told him to just take off the coolent lines that run to the turbo. Why... Because is it running coolent from the engine to the turbo.. And you know how much heat is generated in the turbo..

Just throwing some stuff in the air. But yah you could possibly have a blowin head gasket. Hope you solve your problem..

But you are right about the getting a manual for you car Vaportrail... It is money well spent. I use mine about once a week also. And when I am bored off my *** I read it.. You'll be surprised how much crap that is in there. Peace out