Notices

overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 12:33 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big

I have mishimoto aluminum radiator with big fat cxracing.com intercooler. Could it be big intercooler causing me to overheat blocking radiator.??
Old 03-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive seen some pretty big intercoolers ran and people didnt have a problem... id say that you have other problems
Old 03-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Topdawgg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive seen some pretty big intercoolers ran and people didnt have a problem... id say that you have other problems</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, and I use the same radiator and it works good so I would make soure your colant system is bleed good and go from there. You might want to upgrade your rad. fan to.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:11 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (katoeh2o)

i have slim fan. Maybe I should add nother fan. No other issues i dyno 226whp at 6psi. Maybe thermostat. Its no theadgasket since no coolant mix, no leaks. No smoke
Old 03-23-2007, 01:22 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (PnoyLSV-T)

im running dexcool 50/50 premixed. should i run different coolant. like some water some coolant/? is it better to get the one wher eyou add distilled water
Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (PnoyLSV-T)

u prolly have a air bubble in the system, redo your coolant again, i make sure the fan comes on a **** load of times before i top it off, and squeez the hoses to make sure the air bubbles are out, if thats doesnt work, try the thermostat
Old 03-23-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (Dual Cam Racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dual Cam Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u prolly have a air bubble in the system, redo your coolant again</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-24-2007, 08:11 AM

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (ProJectCvic)

make sure your fan is sucking air and not blowing air this could cause the problem too.... check the system for air bubbles, check thermostat,
Old 03-24-2007, 09:25 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (iUsedToBeFast)

yea i will prolly switch to mugen thermostat. First i will check for bubbles in my coolant system. Do I just drain coolant. How do i know there are no air bubbles?? What coolant you guys recommend??
Old 03-24-2007, 10:01 AM

I'd use the green type coolant. tried the red one and didn't work to well. premixed work good for me. boosting 26psi with one tiny slim fan on stock radiator.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a bleeder valve on your thermostat, use that to bleed the system. If your coolant is good you don't need to change it.
Let your car warm up until the fan comes on(check that the fan is blowing in the right diredtion as mentioned) then open the bleeder valve and leave it open until a steady steam flows out. Then shut the valve let the car cool dawn and check your radiator and top it off. Squeeze the uper hose to to make sure all the air is out of it.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PnoyLSV-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i will prolly switch to mugen thermostat. First i will check for bubbles in my coolant system. Do I just drain coolant. How do i know there are no air bubbles?? What coolant you guys recommend??</TD></TR></TABLE>

And you might want to do a search on a good coolant mixtures to get a lot of first hand reveiws.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

add one more fan
Old 03-24-2007, 06:07 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (vtec.dc2)

how do i add another fan? If i have a half core radiator on my Ek. I think its my fat *** fmic blocking my radiator.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can't recall on how it goes on EK.. but isn't therea spot for a/c condenser fan?? on driver side? just mount it there somehow.. i highly doubt your IC has anything to do with it.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:15 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (vtec.dc2)

yea i will try to mount it there. Just wiring will be problem.
Old 03-24-2007, 06:35 PM

When its hot out, i barely run any coolant, about 70% water, the rest green coolant and water wetter. I use a funnel that fits on the radiator neck to bleed coolant systems. You just fill up the funnel, and let the car run until it pulls in all the fluid. Most service techs use these.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:03 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (sc4dr)

so i guess i will just drain the red coolant and put mostly distilled water and green coolant.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Run a pusher slim fan (fan goes infront of your radiator, instead of the typical spot) if bleeding the cooling system doesn't work.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly what do you mean by over heating?? Fan kicking in a lot or fan on all the time???
My EG9 B16A2 turbo runs hotter with a relatively small intercooler fitted.Without the intercooler in front of the radiator,it runs as stock no cooling issues.As soon as I refit the intercooler,fan kicks in a lot just with normal driving.In my case it's the intercooler causing a restriction in air flow
I have a halfsize double core radiator as standard
Old 03-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (Boostedvti)

hey u know what i found...

if u seal the hole between the engine bay and the front area of the rad, the fan will pull more through the fmic then from the engine bay.

the fan will always suck from the engine bay because its easier, i found that my fan in hot weather would pull air from around the turbo housing and cause me to over heat on hard pulls or idling in traffic.

also if u can fit a FAL fan with the shroud in there, those are badass fans
Old 03-25-2007, 08:40 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (shortyz21)

thats the problem Im having shorty. The damn FMIC&gt; will running more water and green coolant run cooler than the premixed red coolant?dexcool? Im running dexcool
Old 03-25-2007, 08:48 AM

Also add a couple small drops of soap in your coolant!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:59 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (iBrandon)

ok i redrain system filled with new fresh concentrate dexcool. I think the premixed stuff i was using before sucks. What do you guys think ? Concentrate better?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude make a plate that seperates the front of the rad from the engine bay..

this is a huge problem many people overlook.

its not the coolant mix.

engine bay pics plz.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:55 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big (shortyz21)

Here you go

here is the exact fmic i have

where do put the plate? Can you illustrate

Quick Reply: overheating on hot weather only because my intercooler too big