Notices

Overheating/cooling issues!!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating/cooling issues!!

Turbo setup ac compatible ramhorn from peakboost...24*6*3.5 FMIC , Koyo radiator, FAL fan, 50/50 coolant with Redline Water Wetter...and still have cooling issues....thermostat is stock but just replaced 30k ago...Out of ideas??? ANy help...I do live in Phoenix where its been getting close to 110deg. but still only drive in the afternoon...I can pretty much forget about driving in the freeway and using AC any help?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:26 PM
ej8
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating/cooling issues!! (PeakBoostSi)

Make sure your lower rad hose is getting hot - I just had a brand new thermostat fail on me so don't rule out the simple things.

Also, one of the main causes of overheating is air in the system. Did you bleed all the air out?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating/cooling issues!! (ej8)

ok will replace the thermstat....I will bleed the coolong system again...I think i know how to do that...just take cap off and run for a but and wait for bubbles??? nevermind help me out...haha
Old 06-28-2007, 07:37 PM
ej8
Honda-Tech Member

After the car is cooled off and sat for a while take off the rad cap, turn your heater control to full heat, turn car on, let the fan cycle on and back off a couple of times, top off radiator, put the cap on, fill the overflow tank and you are done.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks Im going to do it right now. SO if you see bubbles in the process it means you have a prob. right? Thnks
Old 06-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as the air works itself out the coolant level in the rad will decrease. just keep topping it off until it stays at the top. might wanna replace the rad cap while your at it.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:47 AM

i am having same issues. I am going to do the following and hope it helps. You might want to do the same:

1. Radiator cap to 1.3
2. Jackson racing thermostat $3
3. Water wetter..you got that
4. Change fan back to pull vs. push. How is yours set now?

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm currently using a 50/50 mix and having a slight overheating problem. I'm going to add some water wetter and change the ratio to 70/30(water/antifreeze). I would try that if the thermostat doesn't work.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:47 PM

PeakBoostSi

i live in dallas and feel your pain. i did 70/30 and watter wetter and it helped.

BUT i found that the the thing that made the BIGGEST improvement was makin sure the intercooler, a/c condenser, and radiator arent dirty/clogged with dirt etc. i spent about an hour unclogging my condenser fins. the radiator and intercooler are new. youd be amazed how much **** collects in that condenser fins. use water or air backwards of normal airflow across the condenser to push out all the crap you should be able to easily see through it when clean i had my radiator and IC out when i did this and afterward i could easily see the engine through it before i could somewhat

clean condenser = much more air to the radiator

what is your fan setup?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating/cooling issues!! (agrn93ls)

Thanks sorry for not replying...Water wetter actually helped..Turned out belts were a bit lose and one day AC went out..mad a nasty noice when on...I figured out that it was the belts I tightened them up and AC works now...The cooling I just ordered a JAckson Racing thermo..Spoon is stupid expensive...and Im going to replace cap.,..other than that..Im prob going to run all gangsta and take bumper off and hood...but that is just a last resort...also going to try the 70/30 mix...THANKS!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:40 PM
ej8
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I had my car overheat before and I tried everything....then I did a chemical radiator flush (rad flush you buy at advance auto, any will work). Just followed the instructions but ran it 15min instead of 10min, then flushed with water the same way a couple of times. All overheating issues disappeared! You would be suprised what crap comes out, even if your coolant looks perfect. NOTE: When you drain water/flush/coolant from your system be sure to not only pull the radiator drain petcock but also the big plug in the front of your block (17mm or 19mm head, cant remember).

On a side note, with any turbo car (or any high performance setup really, hell even stock) I recommend an oil cooler as well (use an oil thermostat so it doesnt overcool the oil). This will not only keep the oil at the optimal temperature for proper lubrication/wear but will also remove heat from the motor as well
Old 07-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, I had my car overheat before and I tried everything....then I did a chemical radiator flush (rad flush you buy at advance auto, any will work). Just followed the instructions but ran it 15min instead of 10min, then flushed with water the same way a couple of times. All overheating issues disappeared! You would be suprised what crap comes out, even if your coolant looks perfect. NOTE: When you drain water/flush/coolant from your system be sure to not only pull the radiator drain petcock but also the big plug in the front of your block (17mm or 19mm head, cant remember). </TD></TR></TABLE>

note: clean threads in block and "big plug in front of block" after removal as i stripped those on one of my motors due to corrosion/buildup
Old 07-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks Im too tired to try all that I will try the rad flush tomorrow...I hate doing that I would rather pull the motor out and put it back in...HAHa...I dont know I just hate flushing the radiator...dont ask me why...Where can i find a good oil cooler?