Notices

over heating issue that wont go away.....wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over heating issue that wont go away.....wtf? update!!!!

all cooling parts are brand new ie..water pump, thermostat, radiator. i have a 1600cfm puller fan. The issue is when i drive on the interstate and it's really hot outside and, im driving 70-80 mph. the temp gauge will not stay at it's normal operating temp(just below the halfway mark) the fan runs constantly and it will not stay cool for some reason.

I also notice when it's wot the temp rises pretty quickly and, then goes right back down after i let off of it...... the car runs pretty cool just driving around town and stuff, just having the problem on the interstate. Should i get a 170* thermostat?

The motor is a built ls/vtec, 20 psi, t4/60-1 in a crx. so the fit is pretty tight and the radiator sits really close to the 4" dp, it practically sits on it....should i cut some holes in the front bumper so air can get to the radiator? thanks guys

so last thursday the problem got worse. it started running on dead h, as high as the needle would go, even while driving around town. so i did a compression check and cylinder 2 was low(120), so i was like"damn its the headgasket" would the car ran strong as hell. Sop i put a new hg on torqued down to 85 ft lbs with motor oil. as soon as i pull out of my drive way the needle started gradually making its way to the H mark again....WTF!!!!!!. So now im stumped as to what the problem is. Its shooting coolant out of the resivor severly when i shut the car off.

Modified by turbo-crx at 8:17 AM 6/9/2008
Old 06-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: over heating issue that wont go away.....wtf? (turbo-crx)

you can try it? or put heat wrap on the dp are you getting coolant push out the over flow? if so you have air in the system, i had something to what you have but my sleeves had drop alittle and was passing air under boost, so that may be something you may check
Old 06-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

are you sure the fan is pulling in the air instead of pushing it? my brother had the same problem and then we found out it was pushing the air instead of pulling so we just turn the plug and fixed
Old 06-05-2008, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (krazyhmongboi)

my downpipe is wrapped with a bunch of exaust wrap, and the fan is pulling in the air definately. it only started to do this problem when it got hotter outside in the last month or so. in the winter the car would run cold on the highway even if i was cruising at 100 mph, now i have to drive like 55-60 mph on the highway or the temps will start to rise....fyi the temps during the day here are like 92-95 degrees.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbo-crx)

can i run it with out a thermostat?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo-crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can i run it with out a thermostat?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can run it sure. But then your motor might not ever reach proper operating temperatures. When the motor is running and its about to over heat. Check to make sure that the bottom hose is hot too. Bc if its not then your thermostat is not opening.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will check after i drive home from work. thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you running water lines through your turbo? If you are take them off and see how the engine runs.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ninesecrx)

bump cause i have the same problem
Old 06-06-2008, 05:11 PM

Default Re: over heating issue that wont go away.....wtf? (turbo-crx)

i've read people have problems with poor air paths between the intercooler and radiator, on their tracked cars...

their solutions:

Build a duct in the gap, between the intercooler and radiator, to help direct the air that passes through the intercooler directly to the radiator.

or reduce the gap between them as much as you can.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt, for more info. i edited the op
Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try checking your Intake mantifold gasket, i had a problem with over heating caz i was blowing boost past the gasket and into the water line just off the mantifold ( on the gasket it has a orange ring around it to prevent leak) radiator lines would build pressure and caz blow out at the resevor , and also heater would go cold. worth checking
Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks will do man.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump. cuz i'm having the exact same problem with almost the exact same setup. i put my fan to push through the radiator from the opposite side and its still overheating only on the highway at 70-80mph. basically i'm stumped and i'm on a fluidyne radiator. i'm going to try changing the radiator since it's the only thing i had on both of my setups.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (building boost)

I did a comp test and cylinder 3 was low(120) so i changed the hg, and it did the same exact thing as before.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (krazyhmongboi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krazyhmongboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you sure the fan is pulling in the air instead of pushing it? my brother had the same problem and then we found out it was pushing the air instead of pulling so we just turn the plug and fixed</TD></TR></TABLE>

mine was blowing the wrong way 2. reverse it and see what happens
Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: over heating issue that wont go away.....wtf? update!!!! (turbo-crx)

yea they are definately going the right way
Old 06-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: over heating issue that wont go away.....wtf? update!!!! (turbo-crx)

turbo-crx, how big is your intercooler?
I had the same problem years ago...I tried different thermostats, wrapped everything I could, added water wetter to my radiator, switch radiators to a PWR, got a bigger fan (12") and temp would still rise. I ended up making ducts for air to go directly to the radiator and I also took the weather stripping from the hood.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: over heating issue that wont go away.....wtf? update!!!! (red_crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by red_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">turbo-crx, how big is your intercooler?
I had the same problem years ago...I tried different thermostats, wrapped everything I could, added water wetter to my radiator, switch radiators to a PWR, got a bigger fan (12") and temp would still rise. I ended up making ducts for air to go directly to the radiator and I also took the weather stripping from the hood. </TD></TR></TABLE>
and did this fix the problem?
Old 06-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not an air flow issue i dont think
Old 06-09-2008, 05:01 PM

i have the same problem. i believe its a heatsoak issue. the problem with our ef chassis is that the under hood space is so cramped that no air can move around. the increased revs on the highway make more heat which in turn heatsoaks everything.

try taking your bumper and hood off and drive around to see if it still overheats.

you may have warped the head from overheating thats why the coolant is bubbling out of the overflow. i think this is a separate issue than the first problems with overheating.

Modified by dbiker207 at 7:46 PM 6/9/2008
Old 06-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dbiker207)

i have a over heating issue with my teg as well on the highway only. I believe mine is an air flow issue. When i take my bumper off the car runs 185* all the time, but once the bumper is back on it sstarts to rise up to about 220*. I am going to try and create a air dam for the radiator.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: over heating issue that wont go away.....wtf? update!!!! (building boost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by building boost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and did this fix the problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes it did.....better airflow
Old 06-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: over heating issue that wont go away.....wtf? update!!!! (red_crx)

also do have any pictures of these ducts that you made so i can get idea of what to do??
Old 06-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: over heating issue that wont go away.....wtf? update!!!! (95dc2teg)

last night i took the thermostat out and today it still continues to overheat. im gona take the bumper off and see if that helps

Quick Reply: over heating issue that wont go away.....wtf?