Notices

out bock guard in but now im worried.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default out bock guard in but now im worried.......

ok i put my golden eagle block guard in tonight and my friend took the block with him to drop off at the machine shop tommorrow to get honed and decked..... i had to file the block guard down quite a bit to fit but even with that one side fit perfect and the other i had to tap in really hard. nothing cracked or broke but i am worried that the cylinder walls might egg shape as i have heard...

my question is once the block gets honed will that take out the imperfections of the egg shape if there is any?? i mean they all looked perfectly round but thats to the naked eye.. i know that you cant just look at and tell, does anyone have any advice should i really be worried?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: out bock guard in but now im worried....... (nextelbuddy)

bump for night crew
Old 02-10-2004, 08:38 PM

Why didn't you just file it till it fit completely?!

I'd think it would be fine once honed, but I've no experience as my blockgaurd was installed when I bought the motor.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: out bock guard in but now im worried....... (MadCow)

I had the machine shop put mine in. They heated up the block and dropped it in. I had them recess it a little to coolant could get to the top of the sleeves. And yes when they bore the clyinders it will fix the imerfections. I know after they installed my guard it pinched the cylinders .003 or .004 of an inch.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: out bock guard in but now im worried....... (TurboB16aEG)

Are you getting it bored or just honed? A hone might not go deep enough depending on the damage- if any was done. Just have them do a cylinder-out-of- round check on it, that will definately tell.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboB16aEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the machine shop put mine in. They heated up the block and dropped it in. I had them recess it a little to coolant could get to the top of the sleeves. And yes when they bore the clyinders it will fix the imerfections. I know after they installed my guard it pinched the cylinders .003 or .004 of an inch. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont want them to bore, if they bore then i will have to get bigger pistons and i already have 81mm je pistons... if they check for out of round ness and it is pinched then i will take the block guard out one way or another. id rather have no block guard then have to bore and get bigger pistons...\

is it bad to run forged pistons and high boost on stock sleeves with no block guard? or what i mean to say is how much less boost will i have to run if i take the block guard out?
Old 02-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats exactly how i egg shaped my cylinder walls. If they did eggshape you will most likely need to get it overbored. You could've gotten lucky and not have them eggshape tho.

One time i tapped a str blockguard in my b16 block it didnt eggshape. 2nd time i put one in another b16 block, it eggshaped to hell. I tapped it in relatively the same amount.

Also, i'd rather run no blockguard, but thats just me. Alot of others will have mixed opinions. I've seen a bunch of people run high boost with stock sleeves and no blockguard. Like everyone always says, it comes down to the tuning.

g'luck.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: out bock guard in but now im worried....... (BoostedSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats exactly how i egg shaped my cylinder walls. If they did eggshape you will most likely need to get it overbored. You could've gotten lucky and not have them eggshape tho.

One time i tapped a str blockguard in my b16 block it didnt eggshape. 2nd time i put one in another b16 block, it eggshaped to hell. I tapped it in relatively the same amount.

Also, i'd rather run no blockguard, but thats just me. Alot of others will have mixed opinions. I've seen a bunch of people run high boost with stock sleeves and no blockguard. Like everyone always says, it comes down to the tuning.

g'luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i havent put my motor back together.. if i take the block guard otu will i be ok or is the damage already done?
Old 02-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

More then likely the damage has been done. I run stock sleeves with 10.5:1 JE's. I'm putting on my turbo this weekend. I not affraid of the compression or the fact of running stock sleeves, I think it's all in tuning. Have the walls checked for out-of-roundness. Hopefully you can get away with just a hone job. Good luck.

Cameron
Old 02-11-2004, 11:53 AM

i dont see how you guys distorted the shape of the walls...we beat in my friends str BG on his gsr motor and it was fine...if you messed up the walls enough by hand to see it with the naked eye then theres something wrong in the first place....if your really worried about it i would just have the machine shop check it out...shouldnt cost that much to have them do the test and it will give you piece of mind.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: out bock guard in but now im worried....... (gritsak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gritsak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont see how you guys distorted the shape of the walls...we beat in my friends str BG on his gsr motor and it was fine...if you messed up the walls enough by hand to see it with the naked eye then theres something wrong in the first place....if your really worried about it i would just have the machine shop check it out...shouldnt cost that much to have them do the test and it will give you piece of mind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i looked at mine and to the naked eye they look fine but i will have the machine shop check it out tommorrow.. i cant get the block guard out to file it down more... it is in there lol. thats whats worried me is the fact that if its in there so hard that i cant get it out then it probably will distort the cyilinder walls.

GRITSAK how hard or how much did yo have to beat in your block guard??
Old 02-11-2004, 05:38 PM

how much was the block guard?