Notices

opinions from the experienced...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinions from the experienced...

sup everyone. aight dont worry i kno my **** and everything but i just want to hear some opinions elsewhere. gotta d16z6 with JRSC. motor has close to 140,000 mls on it. so now i have a d16y8 i havnt put in yet. i was thinkin of using this motor then going with 8 lb pulley or the 10 pulley on the s/c. or was thinkin instead that i could jus sell the s/c and go with a greddy turbo since i have the cash. now with either set up, im already in the works with gettin the head done and putting in pistons and rods ( resleevings a good idea also ). s/c is great, turbo might be better. not lookin to go more that 10 or 11 lbs of boost. which set up would u guyz think may be worth the cash im putting out and possibly more reliable? would like to hear the some of the knowledge that everyone has and would like to share.
Old 11-18-2001, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: opinions from the experienced... (JR_sohc)

You obviously know your $h!t, that's why you bought the JR. I'd keep that if I were you, that way you can tell everybody how much more it cost than a turbo when everybody with a turbo beats you. Well, everybody except the Greddy guys (not including greyzone ) ...

Peace out aight.

Damn, I find myself doing more harm than good in the forums these days ..
Old 11-18-2001, 11:58 PM

Default Re: opinions from the experienced... (mplex2000)

Old 11-19-2001, 01:14 AM
New User

This post is going nowhere.
Old 11-19-2001, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You're asking a lot from an engine with 140K miles on it...10-11lbs will blow that thing in less than a week.

my advice:

1.rebuild or swap
2. new pistons and rods
3. go turbo, Greddy is okay but get an intercooler
4. don't boast that you're 'experienced' here 'cause a lot of these guys will put you in your place QUICK....be humble and read! Ask questions, and keep your arogance in your pocket!

my 2 yen!!
Old 11-19-2001, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see how long that JRSC lasts at 10-11psi before it self-detonates! If you want that much boost, save yourself.. go turbo
Old 11-19-2001, 06:56 AM
New User

Default Re: opinions from the experienced... (VTC_CiViC)

Umm... I agree with most of you guys about the engine with 140K on it but he said he's got ANOTHER motor he wants to put in and he's trying to decide whether he should keep the SC or switch to turbo. Before we go putting ANYONE in their place we should probably read the whole post.

As far as your options go - EVERYONE here will tell you to go turbo instead... you get more for your money and the sky is the limit for power if you are willing to build it up - the SC will simply run out of power at a certain point when it starts heating the intake charge too much since it has a relatively inefficient compressor and no provisions for intercooling.

That said - if you're happy with the JRSC - STICK WITH IT. It will cost you a LOT to ditch the SC and switch to a turbo setup so unless you're really hungry for more power your best bet is to spend any extra money you have on a GOOD standalone engine management setup like Hondata, Haltech, you name it - proper fuel management will make the most of whatever FI system you're using and make a much more drivable and easy to live with.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:55 AM

Default Re: opinions from the experienced... (dbman96)

thank you very much dbman96...