Once & for ALL TIMES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 10:20 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Once & for ALL TIMES!!!

Ok, I know this question has been asked a Zilion times already, but eveytime it seems that only one or two people answer and there is never back up graphs to prove their opinions. The question is: "WHAT TURBO WILL WORK WITH A B18C TO PRODUCE GOOD POWER AND GREAT PERFORMANCE AT THE TRACK?" I am talking about street cars that will be used as weekend worriors, whether drag strip or circuit racing. Something that will be versetile enough but allow the owner to get maximum performance. I know there is some guys on here that have amazing street setups with hp numbers in the 500-600 range. Can we get some input to see what turbos produce what type of power at higher psi levels. For example a to4e 57 trim at 20psi vs. 60-1 at same psi, etc. Lets post all kinds of graphs to see some real number comparisons.

Thanks a lot and I hope this will be one of the more useful posts for turbo selection.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Once & for ALL TIMES!!! (Screamer)

Your going to get a different answer from everybody. The only thing that you will get thats is accurate is the flow charts of the compressors.
One person feels X turbo (a/r trim) will be good for both because it's a comprimise between power and spool while the other feels x turbo is better because it will make more top end power.
Like using your example the t3t40e 57 trim some will say thats a perfect turbo for the street and occasional track use and some will say it's to small it will spool to quick and you will have a lot of wheel spin on the street. Same thing goes the the 60-1..some say it's over kill while others say it would be better because it will allow you to get traction before the turbo spools..
I don't know what each one flows but even if they made the same peak power and the power curves were very close (with the exception of the larger one spooling later) you will still get different oppinions.
The only thing i know for a fact is that i am runing the a T3T40E with .57 trim and .63 ar. and as some have said it will cause wheel spin which i have found to be true. Anything above 7psi in 1st and 2nd the tires cut loose. I honestly think this turbo fits "my" perception of a decent turbo set-up (IMO perfect balance between spool and power)...this is also on a b16 and not a b18. good luck with getting your question answered.

oh and don't forget if you account for spool time make sure your comparing identical turbo's i.e ball bearing or cartridge....that makes a difference in spool up..
Old 03-31-2003, 04:17 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Once & for ALL TIMES!!! (b16ahybrid)

Thank you for your reply. To answer your concern in regards to differneces of opinion that is exactly what I want in this thread. Lets get started and compare some graphs and see what differernt people did with their setups. This might not solve all the questions, but at least it will give eveyone a base to understand the turbo selection for their particular application. Also it will allow better understanding of numbers that are to be expected with different setups. In regards to the different turbo designs lets see that too. How does a ballbearing really compare to a regular turbo? Let see the graphs.

Thanks and keep your comments coming.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:34 AM
Trial User

Anyone else care to add their comments and their experiences???
Old 03-31-2003, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i will have to agree on the whole smaller turbo equaling more wheel spin on the street, as the smaller turbos spool really fast.

I used to use a t3t04B with a .50 trim, with a .48 exhaust and @ 15 psi i could kill 1-2,

Now i am using a garret .60 trim, with a .63 hot side, and i dont spin as bad in first,at the low RPM's but as soon as i reach 7k it starts to come on very hard, and by the time i hit 2nd i am killing the tires, and now i also have trouble with 3rd.

But i went to the track and on low boost, my MPH was faster that my Small turbo at high boost.

I hope you can make sense of what i just said,

Brian
Old 03-31-2003, 10:29 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Once & for ALL TIMES!!! (TurbodCX)

Yap, that is just what I am talking about, experiences with different turbos. Do you maybe have some dyno numbers that you wouldn't mind sharing with everyone in regards to the two different turbos you used? I would like to see a comparison between the curves.

Old 04-01-2003, 05:02 AM
Trial User

Anyone else care to join and share some dyno graphs?
Old 04-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Trial User

ttt
Old 04-02-2003, 07:51 AM
Trial User

come on lets put some opinoins in here......