Notices

Okay, now that i've seen this video and others like it....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay, now that i've seen this video and others like it....

....I have an idea for the Honda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn7iTcjUmTo

Mwuuhahahahahahaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

blow through technology has grown since the 301 pontiac, and 3.8l 81 t type. nice. i think i have seen this before though.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedcivicsir
blow through technology has grown since the 301 pontiac, and 3.8l 81 t type. nice. i think i have seen this before though.
+1 on that. Oh, according to a lot of blow thru guys, these things are NEARLY bolt on and go.

Check the afr's on the dyno graph in that vid. LOL
Old 11-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i saw it. it was solid.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so whats the idea for the honda a custom intake mani and put a blow through carb on it

that would definately be one of a kind on a honda thats for sure
Old 11-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spoolin turbo s
so whats the idea for the honda a custom intake mani and put a blow through carb on it

that would definately be one of a kind on a honda thats for sure
First, let me admit that talking about Honda's + carburetors + TURBOCHARGERS = not very typical in a very comical sense. LOL

About me pursuing this, let's just say that if I come up with the funds to make a killer turbocharged setup, i'm either going this route or going the typical "same ole' story" OBD1 conversion with a chipped ecu and rom editor route. I'd much rather this route due to the obvious simplicity behind it (I hope so, LOL). Not only that, I can easily do everything myself if at all necessary.

I know for sure that one of Steve Morris' forced induction motors got an out of the box carb from CSU, and bolted it up to the motor, and it was dead on with no adjustments (They may have messed with it a little afterwards since they are typical gear heads, but I can't remember. From what I know it was right in the window on the first pull.) I don't know how typical those kind of results are when it comes to blow thru carb setups, but CSU is supposed to be the best.

There has already been a guy on this site put a holley 4-bbl carb on a GSR in a CRX. Car ran great with damned good power numbers. Now, with that same combo (which may still be for sale) except with a CSU carb (depending upon what CSU recommends for a small displacement Honda 4 cyl motor.) along with a turbocharger. LOL

This sounds like it could be some easy fun. However, maybe not.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

And...you'll retard the timing how? Custom vacuum-advance distributor?

You do realize with current EMS's, it will take you less time to tune the AFR's and get basic timing than it will to (with the carb): figure out how to do the timing w/o an ECU, hooking up an electric (or a ghetto manual) choke for cold start, adjusting for heatsoak, engine coolant, fuel tip-in, lean out while cruising, etc.

That motor was built around a carb setup, the carb was designed & jetted for roughly that size motor, the distributor was designed for computer-less timing adjustments, and throttle response is usually crappy (given the displacement).

You should also understand that carbs haven't really changed much for the last 50 years. Carbs make great power for racing, but in almost any other circumstance - they suck.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
And...you'll retard the timing how? Custom vacuum-advance distributor?

You do realize with current EMS's, it will take you less time to tune the AFR's and get basic timing than it will to (with the carb): figure out how to do the timing w/o an ECU, hooking up an electric (or a ghetto manual) choke for cold start, adjusting for heatsoak, engine coolant, fuel tip-in, lean out while cruising, etc.

That motor was built around a carb setup, the carb was designed & jetted for roughly that size motor, the distributor was designed for computer-less timing adjustments, and throttle response is usually crappy (given the displacement).

You should also understand that carbs haven't really changed much for the last 50 years. Carbs make great power for racing, but in almost any other circumstance - they suck.
Carbs have been around, which you did mention, so you sort of answered your own question. The bonus answer is that there are many different ways to control timing. MANY WAYS! Nothing new has to be introduced here. Just some parts that have been around forever. Throttle response should be as good as it needs to be. This project, if I even get around to it, would be for the dragstrip only. No street racing for me.

Oh, and a choke, pffffffffffff. Unnecessary. Firing off a Holley is a classic process that is like second nature to some. Easy. Next, heat soak. Why would I dial a carburetor in with a motor and engine bay that isn't quite at the same temperature that it would be during a run down the dragstrip? I don't think I would. It'll be okay.

It should be pretty obvious at this point that I know a lot more about carburetors than I do fuel injection. LOL
Old 11-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why not just go buy an already carb honda D-series and boost that. the N/A Dseries carb guys usually make 3whp and 6ft/lbs over the efi guys after tuning and similiar parts.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony413
why not just go buy an already carb honda D-series and boost that. the N/A Dseries carb guys usually make 3whp and 6ft/lbs over the efi guys after tuning and similiar parts.
Most of those racing combos are sidedraft (i.e., Weber, Dellorto, Mikuni, CBR1000 bike carbs, etc.). A holley would be downdraft such as the one that CSU uses. The whole idea here is that the CSU and similar blow thru carbs are already developed or they have a knowledge base that is, as of today's time, pretty damned extensive. Hopefully, this deal will work just as effectively with such a small displacement engine as that of a Honda b-series motor.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok have fun with all the fab sounds like it will be a nice long project keep us updated
Old 11-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is funny, I'm a aircooled vw guy and have done several blow thru and draw thru turbo setups. They all made horsepower but drivability was never quite right and when you did get it perfect as soon as the weather changes there goes your tune. A few years ago i helped a buddy turbo his b18 honda. He convinced me to go to the dyno to get it tuned with him. I was completely blown away that the stock ecu could virtually become stand alone in a half hour and with free software (ive been on this site ever since and have built a few hondas of my own). Long story short, keep the efi, carbs work but thats taking a big **** step backwards.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony413
ok have fun with all the fab sounds like it will be a nice long project keep us updated
That's if I ever end up doing it. I feel that I know exactly how I would do the manifold, but that requires actually doing it.

I thought the video was cool, and honestly, I was kind of hoping that i'd spread the word that fuel injection ISN'T the only option. Not saying that it isn't the best option, but it isn't the only solid way to run a forced induction setup. Especially for those who are faithful carb racers.

I just can't wait to see a blow through Honda setup. Then see the power numbers. LOL
Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You do realize you're going to have some seriously shitty part throttle right?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 55superbeetle
This is funny, I'm a aircooled vw guy and have done several blow thru and draw thru turbo setups. They all made horsepower but drivability was never quite right and when you did get it perfect as soon as the weather changes there goes your tune. A few years ago i helped a buddy turbo his b18 honda. He convinced me to go to the dyno to get it tuned with him. I was completely blown away that the stock ecu could virtually become stand alone in a half hour and with free software (ive been on this site ever since and have built a few hondas of my own). Long story short, keep the efi, carbs work but thats taking a big **** step backwards.
CSU?

I'm only assuming that they're the best option. Hey, a lot of people vouch for blow through setups and have no trouble with it. I'm sure that EFI is still a bit superior to a blow thru setup, but there are a lot of racers who don't seem to want to convert since they might just see it as an unnecessary conversion.

How it works for a Honda engine, I just don't know. I do know that a Holley 4bbl works great on a Honda GSR motor.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SovXietday
You do realize you're going to have some seriously shitty part throttle right?
Part throttle at the dragstrip.........no. LOL, I guess if I were driving back to the pits.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by integrawow
Part throttle at the dragstrip.........no. LOL, I guess if I were driving back to the pits.
Eh, if it's just a drag car than go for it. Honestly I don't see the point, EFI is more efficient but to each his own.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SovXietday
Eh, if it's just a drag car than go for it. Honestly I don't see the point, EFI is more efficient but to each his own.
I be lovin' dat gaz guzzlin' wit dat cobbarata. <-- I seriously don't talk like this. LOL

I probably won't do it. Why? I probably won't have the time. I just thought it was neat how these blow through carbs have come so far.

Cool.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

youd be suprised how efficient a blow thru carb setup is actually
Old 11-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redboost10
youd be suprised how efficient a blow thru carb setup is actually
Shhhhh, don't tell. Oooops, you already did. Damn. LOL

Carbs are some atomizing soldja's. This is why i've seen race teams go to carbs. Why? They couldn't get the atomization required by their application while running fuel injection. The outcome with the carburetor was that they went a lot faster with carbs. Then you see others do great with efi. Just go with whatever makes you faster. However, it's hard to believe how many people actually get away with efi over a good carburetion system. Oh well.

Last edited by integrawow; 11-29-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by integrawow
I be lovin' dat gaz guzzlin' wit dat cobbarata.
who needs hondata when you got carburdata lol