Notices

oiling the turbo?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oiling the turbo?!?!?!

Okay, we should clear this up!

it seems most of you are saying that feeding the turbo from the VTEC spot with oil is a bad idea, cause it is only lubricated when VTEC is engaged. I have also heard it is not true, and there is still oil when VTEC is not activated.

Then some people say, that when feeding the turbo with oil from an other location there is too much oil press and this is gona be bad for the turbos seals.

Heck, what is now the best solution.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:19 AM

Default Re: oiling the turbo?!?!?! (austrian type-R)

VTEC spot is fine, there is constant oil pressure in that spot. And the oil pressure is the same as it is at the back of the block(where the oil pressure sensor is). There is a dscussion going on right now covering this: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=133152
Old 02-21-2002, 03:22 AM

Default Re: oiling the turbo?!?!?! (maxim)

thanks, I have posted my thread based on that discussion.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:30 AM
Better than steak

Christian, the only way to find out if that port on the head supplies enough is to take an oil gauge and see what pressure you get.

art
Old 02-21-2002, 03:34 AM

Default Re: oiling the turbo?!?!?! (Arturbo)

Thanks Art.

BTW: What is up with that inside joke in your sig?
Old 02-21-2002, 03:40 AM
Better than steak

Thanks Art.

BTW: What is up with that inside joke in your sig?
read this guys sig and read the entire thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=131824
Old 02-21-2002, 03:44 AM

Default Re: oiling the turbo?!?!?! (Arturbo)

rofl. hehe!

I guess this guy write english as bad as me. lol
Old 02-21-2002, 04:51 AM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ok... one more time!

When I owned my CRX SiR I used that port as the loaction for my Oil PSI gauge. You will get a pressure reading but you will not get full psi until VTEC activates. By the time VTEC engages the turbo is already spinning at 40~60k rpm. That's a disater waiting to happen!!
Old 02-21-2002, 05:12 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oiling the turbo?!?!?! (drealgsr)

When I owned my CRX SiR I used that port as the loaction for my Oil PSI gauge. You will get a pressure reading but you will not get full psi until VTEC activates.

Ok, but what were your pressure readings? Turbo's don't need as high a pressure as the rest of the system. That's why some guys use restrictors in their oil feed line.
Old 02-21-2002, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: oiling the turbo?!?!?! (DSF)

Ok, but what were your pressure readings? Turbo's don't need as high a pressure as the rest of the system. That's why some guys use restrictors in their oil feed line.
Yes, what he says!
I'm planning on running mine from the VTEC area of the block as well.
Steve...?
Old 02-21-2002, 10:28 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oiling the turbo?!?!?! (zygspeed)

Just for reference purposes, according to Corky Bell a general guideline for the minimum oil pressure at maximum load is 25psi @.5gal/hr. He also states that turbo seals have a tendency to blow @65-70psi. Hmm, my oil pressure guage reads upwards of 87psi at full song.

Hehe, I finaly bought my copy of "Maximum Boost" Everyone should get this book before they even dream about shopping for a boost guage.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:03 PM

Default Re: oiling the turbo?!?!?! (DSF)

Just for reference purposes, according to Corky Bell a general guideline for the minimum oil pressure at maximum load is 25psi @.5gal/hr. He also states that turbo seals have a tendency to blow @65-70psi. Hmm, my oil pressure guage reads upwards of 87psi at full song.

Hehe, I finaly bought my copy of "Maximum Boost" Everyone should get this book before they even dream about shopping for a boost guage.
Well, I have a feeling that the high pressure plus the reason that there was a little(and I do mean little) bit of a kink in my return line is why my seals on my turbo seals blew, too much high pressure coming from the port on the back of the block. Now I've got to get a turbo rebuild and I've only had the thing for less 2 months.
Old 02-21-2002, 02:24 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: oiling the turbo?!?!?! (maxim)

What a bunch of *** monkies! I was getting less than 1.3kg of oil psi until VTEC activation. Corky Bell.. Porky Smell! Since you like reading so much, get a copy of the Honda Tuning book. On the copy of the book it shows the engine with the turbo oil feed line tapped at the VTEC spool valve location. That didn't last too long because the oil psi readings were too low VTEC activation so they found a better spot that fed oil at a rate that was consistent with engine load/speed!

Volume is what causes failure problems more than anything else. I added a restrictor to my friends SR20DET (same oil psi as Hondas) and his turbo stopped smoking. The turbo was 1 week old and he thought it was blown. The moron used a flashy anodized blue -4 fitting instead of the supplied restricted -4 fitting. Even with a -10 return the center housing was over filling which allowed oil to flow past the seals at high loads. After the restrictor was added the car stopped smoking!

Back to the original topic. Instead of bickering over this topic, why don't more you guys use this feed source and then report your findings to us. Like I said before. I'm not to keen on spinning a turbine at 40~60k rpm with very little oil just because there is a oil psi maintenance port located in close proximity.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:35 PM
New User

Default Re: oiling the turbo?!?!?! (drealgsr)

Where can I get one of these restrictors?