Notices

oil sludge? turbo gsr, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:02 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil sludge? turbo gsr, need some help

yeah....its been a long while since i actually made a post here but i have been working on my teg i just havent seen the need to make an official update. ive been having some issues with my motor losing water in the past so i changed the head gasket and manifold gasket to try and resolve this issue. well the other week i decided to change my oil because i assume it had water in it left behind from the leakage and this happen.

so i poured a quart of oil to try and clean it more but i also got some engine cleaner plus some cheap *** oil and ran it in the motor. i only used that solution for about 5min to try to get the remains all out. i then removed the oil pan to clean it and to see if i saw anything unusual as well. everything seemed to be ok at that time.

after i put new oil back in to the motor i took it for a drive to only to see smoke coming from my exhaust after about 30-40min of driving. i recently purchased a leak tester but i havent had to time to use it on my motor. but by judging this, what do you guys think is going on?

also, i checked my oil and you guessed it! there is water in there yet again.

motor:
erl sleeved gsr
cp pistons
turbo tuff rods
gsr head with manley valve train

(heads been checked by a local machine shop in which i have done business with in the past. the block is from erl but it was built by laskey. mike mentioned that the sleeved sat high and would mil it down. i dont remember the exact mil job specs, its been a while.)
Old 09-05-2015, 01:29 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil sludge? turbo gsr, need some help

<p>Your engine has diarrhea. &nbsp;I would recommend&nbsp;<span style="color:rgb(34, 34, 34)">Imodium A-D. &nbsp;Web MD also says your engine may have bowel cancer.</span></p><p><span style="color:rgb(34, 34, 34)">But seriously, water in your oil can cause that, which you already knew you had. &nbsp;Not changing oil regularly can also cause that, but I don't think you're the type to neglect your car like that. &nbsp;Drop your oil pan and windage tray and clean them&nbsp;out. &nbsp;Check your oil pickup, and make sure the screen inside of it is clean. &nbsp;It wouldn't hurt to remove it while you have the oil pan, so you can clean it out as well. &nbsp;Pull your valve cover and make sure there isn't any sludge in there. &nbsp;Once you've done all that, use some BG44K in some cheap oil, run it for a couple hundred miles, then change your oil with good fresh stuff.</span></p>
Old 09-05-2015, 01:33 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

water is still getting inside the motor some how. its not leaking from the outside and its getting inside. the fresh oil put in has about 10miles on it max and i notice there is a water foam look on the dipstick and there hoses coming from the valve cover going to my catch can.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:49 PM

<p>Well, there aren't too many places it could be coming from...it has to be coolant, unless you have your intake hanging out under a rain collector. &nbsp;Have you done a compression test? &nbsp;Block test?</p>
Old 09-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

cracked sleave maybe?
Old 09-05-2015, 03:51 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
cracked sleave maybe?
Idle fine and holds boost fine as well. I wouldn't expect erl sleeves to crack with low hp.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:58 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
<p>Well, there aren't too many places it could be coming from...it has to be coolant, unless you have your intake hanging out under a rain collector. &nbsp;Have you done a compression test? &nbsp;Block test?</p>
Did a compression test when motor was fresh and it was even on all cylinders. Can't remember the numbers off hand, I think it was 160 on all 4 [9:1]. Will do another compression test and leak down (just got my tester) tomorrow. It's almost been a year since I actually drove this car after the tune/break-in.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by justYncredible
Idle fine and holds boost fine as well. I wouldn't expect erl sleeves to crack with low hp.
may not crack, but erl is notorious for sunken sleeves...
Old 09-05-2015, 09:55 PM

<p>Every sleeve company has someone saying they're &quot;notorious for sunken sleeves&quot;. &nbsp;It's all in the install. &nbsp;If they were sitting above the desk during install, though, and had to be shaved down, that's...well, yeah. &nbsp;Although, if you went through the full procedure when you replaced your head gasket, you should have noticed that. &nbsp;Always check the deck and head with a straight edge.</p><p>A compression test will easily answer that question, though.</p>
Old 09-06-2015, 05:33 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it smoke constantly when it runs or is it intermittent? If not then the sleeve didn't sink as you'd be burning off most of the coolant and it wouldn't have time to make it down the cylinder walls and past the rings unless the car sits a lot.

It is possible that a sleeve shifted side to side or that the area around the base of the sleeve shifted or cracked or that the sealant material being used between the sleeve and water jacket areas failed.

Typically if a sleeve does sink it is very very minute. Like you'd need a straight edge and feeler gauges to find which one(s) sank.
Old 09-06-2015, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of head gasket did you use? cheap ebay ones i have had problems with, the water on the dipstick points to headgasket what color is the smoke what does it smell like. it is common for catch cans to be drained and have some strange looking oil come out. but not on the dipstick how does it cold start after being ran and system has been pressurized, if it rough starts or smokes coolant is getting into cylinders. not familiar with those sleeves, but seems like the mid sleeves which they recommend non corrosive coolant as the block is aluminum sleeves are iron that are oring and pressed in and if the bottom corrodes coolant contaminates oil. but would not really explain smoking
Old 09-08-2015, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbonetics3597
what kind of head gasket did you use? cheap ebay ones i have had problems with, the water on the dipstick points to headgasket what color is the smoke what does it smell like. it is common for catch cans to be drained and have some strange looking oil come out. but not on the dipstick how does it cold start after being ran and system has been pressurized, if it rough starts or smokes coolant is getting into cylinders. not familiar with those sleeves, but seems like the mid sleeves which they recommend non corrosive coolant as the block is aluminum sleeves are iron that are oring and pressed in and if the bottom corrodes coolant contaminates oil. but would not really explain smoking
He got a golden eagle head gasket iirc