Notices

Oil Restrictor for Borg warner journal bearing

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Restrictor for Borg warner journal bearing

Just want to check with you guys what type of restrictor you think I should run if any, Hopefully Shodan can chime in:

Turbo: bullseye power batmowheel B252 Journal Bearing

Motor: GSR, with rods and pistons, Modified Type R oil Pump port matched to block

Oil pressure at cold start: 75 PSI
Old 10-22-2015, 12:37 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Oil Restrictor for Borg warner journal bearing

I can't remember off the top of my head if the BE journal bearing cartridge requires a restrictor. They are fairly robust turbos

But just a heads up, you're gonna hate that batmo wheel. In real world testing it made less power than the original cast wheel. They saw GEs blade design for commercial aviation high bypass turbofan engines and decided to emulate it. It didn't work.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
I can't remember off the top of my head if the BE journal bearing cartridge requires a restrictor. They are fairly robust turbos

But just a heads up, you're gonna hate that batmo wheel. In real world testing it made less power than the original cast wheel. They saw GEs blade design for commercial aviation high bypass turbofan engines and decided to emulate it. It didn't work.

same thing you told me a year ago.... at this point I have decided to "try" it. I did try selling it on ebay but no bites at the price i posted it. my only 2 turbo cars I had were both under 220 HP so anythings gonna feel fast to me LOL, if I do hate it Ill sell it SUPER cheap and grab a stc turbo.

Gonna call BEP in the morning.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BW no restrictors on journal bearing
Old 10-22-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

For the most part, no additional restrictors are needed because 1) most BWs in the SXX series already have one internally for the 75psi of oil pressure, but not for K-series with 120psi of oil pressure and 2) the oil galleys are a bit larger than on Garrett-styled turbos, so you may have better luck.

Go ahead and try it without one first, paying special attention to the oil return line routing. Look for the usual signs of oil over-pressurization, especially in the exhaust housing. If all is well, keep going, if you see a lot of wet oil back there, stop, then see about getting one, that is not of a flange plate design. then continue from there.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
For the most part, no additional restrictors are needed because 1) most BWs in the SXX series already have one internally for the 75psi of oil pressure, but not for K-series with 120psi of oil pressure and 2) the oil galleys are a bit larger than on Garrett-styled turbos, so you may have better luck.

Go ahead and try it without one first, paying special attention to the oil return line routing. Look for the usual signs of oil over-pressurization, especially in the exhaust housing. If all is well, keep going, if you see a lot of wet oil back there, stop, then see about getting one, that is not of a flange plate design. then continue from there.
Thankyou, Yes it looks to have a "built in" restrictor looking down the feed port there are 2 relatively small holes.

Just got off the phone with BEP they said less then 100 PSI = no restrictor
Old 10-22-2015, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My NPT to -3an adaptor do-sent seem to fit well on the NPT side... I have read BW turbos use BPT is this true?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:35 PM

Yes, but depending on the one you have, you can have a British Pipe Thread to NPT adapter fitting. they mainly make them for -4AN lines though
Old 10-22-2015, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see gotta call BEP back tomorrow they didnt have the technician in today, just the secretary or whatever. The NPT fitting that greg sent doesnt seem to go in more then a couple of turns and starts to get chewed up. The center section is steel and fitting is brass so im pretty sure the threads are still good on the turbo.

Greg at go auto told me its a NPT fitting but im not so sure it just didnt feel right.

Thankyou
Attached Images   
Old 10-22-2015, 07:25 PM

That actually might be a 1/4NPT. Not sure. But I have seen the feeds with those kinds of adapters. Its not the worse thing in the world to have considering what's out there.

You only need a few threads in anyway, to seal. Just use some teflon PASTE.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That actually might be a 1/4NPT. Not sure. But I have seen the feeds with those kinds of adapters. Its not the worse thing in the world to have considering what's out there.

You only need a few threads in anyway, to seal. Just use some teflon PASTE.
Paste you say?

ill have to check my hardware store for that I just have the tape

EDIT: Yes the adapter I have in the picture is NPT from what I understand. Just wanted to make sure it is the correct fitting to be used with this particular turbo. Sometimes best just to go to the source I suppose thats gonna be my best bet.

Sometimes I feel like greg just tells you what he thinks you want to hear LOL. I don't know how visible it is but there was some damage/shavings on the brass fitting....... thread pitch did not seem correct.

Last edited by 2kdrift; 10-22-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:20 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Based on what I'm seeing you might a BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) CHRA. The difference between the two is subtle but there is a difference.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Based on what I'm seeing you might a BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) CHRA. The difference between the two is subtle but there is a difference.
BEP says its NPT same that GO auto told me. Its still troubling that it ate up my brass fitting perhaps I need to use some teflon (which of course I would use, I was just "test ftting" to make sure I had the correct adapter, since the feed kit was a universal one I wanted to be sure everything was correct)

some say teflon is really a lubricant makes the threads work better without stripping
Old 10-23-2015, 03:46 PM

I was able to find some of my old notes on these fittings since I don't really deal with these turbos as much as I used to.

BSPT stands for British Standard Pipe Taper, which is subtly different from U.S.-Based National Pipe Taper. As Wantboost stated, they are similar but different.

NPT/NPS and BSP threads are not compatible due to the differences in their thread forms, and not just the fact that most diametrical sizes have a different pitch. NPT threads have a 60° included angle and have flattened peaks and valleys (this is a Sellers thread form);

BSP threads have a 55° included angle and have rounded peaks and valleys (this is a Whitworth thread form).

What I do remember is that they are slightly interchangable as long as you're not over the pressure holding capacity of the fitting you're going into (in this case, a turbo CHRA).

So, from my old notes, I still used a 1/4NPT into the CHRA, because it had an 18 thread count per inch, (Yours shows 9 , which is like 1/2").. that means that the BSP is 19.

So, you're actually ok, it's just not going to be a perfect "fit". But it should still work with the teflon paste or tape. Just don't trying to tighten it all the way down to bottom out. The 1/4NPT adapter you're using will break inside that CHRA.

The teflon is not really a lubricant. you're seeing shavings because of the different angle of pitch and the fact that the Brass is going to be softer than the steel/iron alloy you're trying to thread it in (the CHRA, in this case).
Old 10-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info I actually have a few I think I will use the shorter one since it wont stick out so much
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also need to know if a -3an line is OK to use?

Bullseye says 4an Minimum, Greg at goauto (who I purchased the kit from) swears 3an is fine and he always uses Bullseye Turbos with 3an

who to believe?
Old 11-09-2015, 12:48 PM

-3AN is just fine. ..just as long as it fits your fitting. You don't need -4AN.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks shodan.... I was hoping you would chime in. I was actually leaning twards the 4an, But ill run the 3 since you say its OK.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:59 PM

Bullseye is sometimes not used to the oil pressures that Hondas make. They're used to most of their applications with about 50psi-60psi of oil pressure. Not the higher 75-120psi that Hondas are capable of.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bullseye is sometimes not used to the oil pressures that Hondas make. They're used to most of their applications with about 50psi-60psi of oil pressure. Not the higher 75-120psi that Hondas are capable of.
Yea I did kinda hint at that on the phone earlier he said 60 PSI would be minimum for 4an. They are pretty big on not starving oil to the turbo since its only oil cooled no option for water. He actually said I would likely burn the bearing if I used 3an
Old 11-09-2015, 07:07 PM

It's up to you. If you don't have a line at all yet, then use the -4AN and keep it flowing. It's the volume of oil you worry about in this case, and not just pressure.

But Borgs tend to like a LOT of oil. SO, who to believe? Both. Try the -4AN and if its too much oil (which I doubt) then that's when you run the proper sized restrictor.

Don't expect to find a -4AN line kit for a Honda on this forum. You'll need to make one.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's up to you. If you don't have a line at all yet, then use the -4AN and keep it flowing. It's the volume of oil you worry about in this case, and not just pressure.

But Borgs tend to like a LOT of oil. SO, who to believe? Both. Try the -4AN and if its too much oil (which I doubt) then that's when you run the proper sized restrictor.

Don't expect to find a -4AN line kit for a Honda on this forum. You'll need to make one.
Working on getting one thru a friend of yours
Old 11-10-2015, 05:46 AM

welp, there you go. Good luck to you.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:02 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL, that's all I make... much more universal and fittings & restrictors are easier to source. No sponsoring = No promotion of products. You know that already though.