Notices

oil restrictor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil restrictor?

I just got a new garrett t3/t4 ar60 ar63, I need to know what size oil restrictor is good for that turbo, the feed line is 3an. Thanks
Old 11-09-2009, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: oil restrictor?

none
Old 11-09-2009, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

+1 on none if its a non ballbearing
Old 11-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here comes the flaming but you should always run an oil restrictor IMO. the seals on the turbo are designed to handle a max of 60 psi. Honda engines produce over 60 psi oil pressure. I've always run an oil restrictor even with a -3an line and my turbos have lasted and spool better with less oil in the center section. Everyone has their own opinion on this though thats why i said there will be flamign on my post. Do not use a GT oil restrictor use somethign with a bigger orifice. Function7 makes a regulator with a 1/16 which should be plenty of oil for a garrett.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Here comes the flaming but you should always run an oil restrictor IMO. the seals on the turbo are designed to handle a max of 60 psi. Honda engines produce over 60 psi oil pressure. I've always run an oil restrictor even with a -3an line and my turbos have lasted and spool better with less oil in the center section. Everyone has their own opinion on this though thats why i said there will be flamign on my post. Do not use a GT oil restrictor use somethign with a bigger orifice. Function7 makes a regulator with a 1/16 which should be plenty of oil for a garrett.
i agree...i always run a -3an line with a 1/16 restricter for my journal turbos...and never had a problem
Old 11-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always run an .060" or smaller on journal bearing turbos on hondas.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The best thing to do to determine if you are correct is to check your oil pressure at the LINE for the turbocharger that you're using. Most journal bearing systems actually cannot do more than about 110psi of oil pressure at the inlet of most garrett and borg-warner turbochargers. Anything more than that at WOT, and you could interrupt the splaying process and oil will be pressurized passed the piston sealing ring on the turbine shaft, and possibly through the compressor cover.

On most Honda Applications that use a standard b-series oil pump and -3AN lines, the oil pressure at idle is about 20-40psi, and at WOT about 70-90psi. Anything more than those areas, and about a .080" restrictor may be needed to keep oiling of the turbine shaft consistent. this is why I state that in your case, unless you have altered your oil pump or pick up in any way, you should be fine without any oil restrictor. Starvation is more detrimental than over oiling.

There are many people that send a turbocharger to me saying that "oil is blowing past the seals", when in actuality, I would crack the turbo open, inspect the turbine shaft and turbine sealing ring, only to determine that things were ok, and that they needed to put a small restrictor on the turbo, and continue using the turbo without the need of a complete rebuild. Though if it is requested, or I see any other signs of future damage, I'll suggest the rebuild anyway..

Bigger turbine shafts like Stage 5, P-trims, and GTQs require a lot of oil to lubricate the turbine shaft, and 9 times out of 10 don't need a restrictor. most "T3/T4" turbos utilizing a stage 3 or 2.559" wheel diameter or smaller, may not need one, but it is best to stay within the oil pressure parameters I stated above to be sure that you're in the right oil pressure range.

For GT- "R" series turbochargers of small to midframed sized - GT28R - GT35R, a .035" restrictor IS NEEDED for a honda application (even though there is one in the cartridge already from Garrett) in order to keep consistent oil pressure, since the oil is only doing the majority of its job as a lubricant to the turbine shaft. The water ports and bearing system displace the heat that is associated with the turbo.

With that all said, in your situation, a restrictor is more than likely not needed, but have one in hand ready to go. from .080" to no smaller than .060".

Last edited by TheShodan; 11-11-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:59 PM

ok thanks everyone!