Notices

Oil Pressure Problem with a -3AN feed and -10AN drain

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 06:43 PM
i HAS questions ?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Problem with a -3AN feed and -10AN drain

As of right now, its been over a year and a half that I've been working on my car and everything seems to have gone wrong. I'm not going to bitch about everything in here because that won't solve anything. The engine is a D16Y8.

I had what I thought was a massive coolant leak because of tons of white smoke pouring out my exhaust while the car was idling. I took the oil cap off while it was running, and the valve cover was under an insane amount of pressure. I don't know if this was caused by the rocker bolts only being finger tight or not, but needless to say it was fucked up. When I pulled the valve cover off, all the bolts for the rocker arms on the intake manifold side were gone. The guy who rebuilt my head, and told me everything was "ready to go just bolt it on and fire the car" did not tighten **** down.

I decided to have the car towed to a different engine builder to see what he thought/could do, because I don't have the time right now and I don't trust this other guy at all anymore. He checked everything out, said that everything looked ok, threw a new headgasket on and fired the car up. It started smoking again, and after tracing down every coolant line on the car there was no explanation. I was pretty much ready to torch the car at this point.

Another day goes by, I left the car with the engine builder because he was determined to find out what was wrong. He calls me back and says that it wasn't coolant that was burning, it was oil. Oil was getting past the turbo seal on the exhaust side and smoking in the downpipe/exhaust. It had never done this before when I had the car idling in my garage, so I assumed that the guy I bought the turbo from had dicked me over yet again and sold me a bad turbocharger (I wouldn't expect anything else from that douche).

So I put in an order for an SC50, and a week later it arrives. I haven't been able to make it out there, but the engine builder told me it was still smoking. He called up Precision Turbo and they were more than helpful he said. I'm running a -3AN feed line and a -10AN drain. They tried dumping the drain line into a bucket, and it did not do much to help. Something is going on with my car, and I'm getting pretty sick of it. I'm broke and I've never driven it. Anybody have any suggestions/ideas as to what could be up with it?
Old 06-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Pressure Problem with a -3AN feed and -10AN drain (d@ve.G)

Do you have an oil pressure gauge ? every car puts out different pressure, so it's best to know what kind of pressure you;re dealing with.

If you don't have one, I'd suggest that you get one, IMO they're more important than boost or EGT. If you see anything is wrong you can easily shut the car off.

Once you have an idea of the pressure that your motor is pushing, I can help you decide to get smaller/restrictor or larger oil return line.

Btw, How is your return line look like ? any kinks ? upward bends ? remember, oil return line must be AS SHORT AND 100% Downward path as possible. 90% of smoking issues that I see with turbo is caused by oil return line backing up, not the oil feed line. -3An is perfect for oil feed line, as long as they are teflon lined, instead of rubber line.

hope this helps,

stan
Old 06-30-2005, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Oil Pressure Problem with a -3AN feed and -10AN drain (Flamenco-T)

Kind of off topic but I too have a percision turbo, SC52. It only has about 100 miles on it, if that. The intake side is hitting the housing and there is oil blowing by the seals. The turbo is in the mail to persicion. What are my chances of having to pay for any thing.

Last not the turbo is just a year old.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:23 AM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: Oil Pressure Problem with a -3AN feed and -10AN drain (Flamenco-T)

Yeah I do have a pressure gauge. It was putting out around 70-80 psi at 2500-3000 rpm if I remember correctly. I can find out exactly what it was sometime today or tomorrow. The feed line is a -3AN teflon lined that I purchased from you.

As far as the return line goes, I think there might be a section that kind of flares out towards the front of the car and is fairly flat to the ground. The guy that welded up my downpipe for me said he lengthened/changed the oil return line. I'll try and get a picture of that sometime soon as well.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Def
Honda-Tech Member

Why not put an inline restrictor in the oil feed line? ATP Turbo has 'em for a reasonable price. It's a much smaller hole than a -3AN line(60 thou I think). My factory T25 lines have a restrictor built-in that's about this size.

Should give you enough oil to the CHRA, but reduce the pressure.

Are you also using a very heavy oil like 15W-50? That'll cause much higher pressures which could be a reason why you're forcing a bit of oil past the turbine seals.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use a inline oil pressure restrictor.....the center section of the turbo does NOT need 70-80psi of oil
Old 07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: Oil Pressure Problem with a -3AN feed and -10AN drain (non-VTEC)

I've been running 5W30 Mobil 1 since the first quart was poured in. As far as putting an oil restrictor on goes, I spoke to Stan about it before and the -3AN line should be fine.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

funny thing is..depending on who you talk to they will tell you that x line should be used..hell Precision Turbo told me my 3an line was to small and I need a 4an line or I will oil starve the turbo..