Notices

oil from hot side(turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil from hot side(turbo)

so ive noticed that today on my 500km new turbo,first pic,motor run good.160 psi each cylinder, full blackwork catchcan kit,vented valve cover ,no smoking out of the can or exshaust or any catch can oïl filling,,made 414 whp without issue,,,brand new oïl(mobil) oïl feedline-4 an with a ,50 restrictor,-10an return drain,,,so my turbo is low in the engine bay,,,,and my ''input'' drain of my pan is not in line with the turbo,,,so if i swap the ''in''of my drain to line my turbo, or just place the return in the block???

Old 05-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: oil from hot side(turbo)

well, personally I wouldnt use worm clamps on a return line like that..

But, the return looks to be fine.. What brand turbo is it?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't understand what your saying about the in and outs.

But if this is a new turbo sometimes they will leak till the seals break in.
I had one that leak and smoke for a day or 2 then all was good.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by xile6
Don't understand what your saying about the in and outs.

But if this is a new turbo sometimes they will leak till the seals break in.
I had one that leak and smoke for a day or 2 then all was good.
This portion is incorrect. The Oil sealing rings don't "break in". They either work or the don't.

Depending upon the turbocharger, looks like that the -4AN is too large with too much oil pressure. Return line looks fine despite the worm clamps. decent routing , straight vertical, and no kinks.

Not sure what your restrictor size is, but its not working. on your honda replace with a -3AN, then recheck oil pressure at cold start. knowing what company turbo it is helps as well.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry long time that ive write in English,,,so its a brand new precision 5858 journal bearing,my feedline is from my oïl pressure unit (back of the engine block) and i install a 0.50 restrictor size on the feedline,,,should i go smaller on the restrictor???..or swap the return in my engine block instead my oil pan???the turbo only have my dyno session and 5 days of normal driving(partial pull)...
Old 05-08-2013, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=EsotericImage;48756915]well, personally I wouldnt use worm clamps on a return line like that..

what clamp are you using??QUOTE]
Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by duf2570
sorry long time that ive write in English,,,so its a brand new precision 5858 journal bearing,my feedline is from my oïl pressure unit (back of the engine block) and i install a 0.50 restrictor size on the feedline,,,should i go smaller on the restrictor???..or swap the return in my engine block instead my oil pan???the turbo only have my dyno session and 5 days of normal driving(partial pull)...
i have a 5858 as well with less than 300 mile on it, am running a 3AN and mine started to leak as well but upon further inspection something when through the exhaust side and chewd up the wheel making the seals go out. take your down pipe off and take a good flash light and look into the fins to see if you can see oil on or around them, check for shaft play and make sure nothing went though your turbo like me :/
Old 05-08-2013, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by eriki
i have a 5858 as well with less than 300 mile on it, am running a 3AN and mine started to leak as well but upon further inspection something when through the exhaust side and chewd up the wheel making the seals go out. take your down pipe off and take a good flash light and look into the fins to see if you can see oil on or around them, check for shaft play and make sure nothing went though your turbo like me :/
Now THAT sounds like a possibility. But if that is not the case, then please use a 1.5mm restrictor to assist
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Now THAT sounds like a possibility. But if that is not the case, then please use a 1.5mm restrictor to assist
at first i ended up thinking it was because of not having a restrictor, bought one put it in and it still happend. So OP before you buy anything or get the car tuned, take a look into your turbo beacuse if something went bad besides seals you need to not get a tune and fix your problem or you will have more problems that you dont want/need
Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a restrictor and the exshaust wheel is ok but have some oil on it.... Il sent it to precison!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as said tho.
thats what happen to me.
smoke for a day or 2 then everything seal and it stop.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xile6
as said tho.
thats what happen to me.
smoke for a day or 2 then everything seal and it stop.
Like shodan said a new turbo not suposed to leak???? And stop after few miles ???
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a restrictor and the exshaust wheel is ok but have some oil on it.... Il sent it to precison!!!
Richard yen pensse quoi??
Old 05-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Steveeghatch
Richard yen pensse quoi??
pas normal,,jlui ai montré les pics puis he said that its not a good thing,,,my setup is mounted the right way,,,.050 restrictor,good drain(size and in oïl pan)healty motor,good catch can setup...maybe just swap the return in my block vs my oïl pan could help he said but,,,the way that ive done my job ,nothing seem to give me a problem exept the turbo

i mail precison,,,im waiting,,,im not gonna keep that turbo !!!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM

pas normal,,jlui ai montré les pics puis he said that its not a good thing,,,my setup is mounted the right way,,,.050 restrictor,good drain(size and in oïl pan)healty motor,good catch can setup...maybe just swap the return in my block vs my oïl pan could help he said but,,,the way that ive done my job ,nothing seem to give me a problem exept the turbo

i mail precison,,,im waiting,,,im not gonna keep that turbo !!!

Do you mean .050" restrictor? I'm trying to make sure that's exactly the size you're using here. or are you using a millimeter measure? If so, where did you get that, and could you please show a picture of it NOT on the turbo?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i ^just got a email from precsion:Who recommended you use a restrictor with your turbo-charger? You have more than likely starved the system of oil causing a failure,We do not recommend a restrictor with our turbocharges and any unit used in conjunction with one will void the warranty!!!!

so im confused
Old 05-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you mean .050" restrictor? I'm trying to make sure that's exactly the size you're using here. or are you using a millimeter measure? If so, where did you get that, and could you please show a picture of it NOT on the turbo?
yes .050 shodan...so ive earased the pic from my cell phone....im not really happy with the answer ive got via precision...
Old 05-08-2013, 01:00 PM

i ^just got a email from precsion:Who recommended you use a restrictor with your turbo-charger? You have more than likely starved the system of oil causing a failure,We do not recommend a restrictor with our turbocharges and any unit used in conjunction with one will void the warranty!!!!

so im confused
So are they. they didn't ask about what oil pressure was on the car at Cold Start or WOT. They also didn't ask what size the restrictor is, nor did they state anything about what engine application you have. Without that information, they're just as confused.

Soo.. is that .050" restrictor, measurement of millimeter?

You wouldn't have starved it, if you have oil coming out of the back.. if it were starved , it would seize. They don't know what's going on with you right.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So are they. they didn't ask about what oil pressure was on the car at Cold Start or WOT. They also didn't ask what size the restrictor is, nor did they state anything about what engine application you have. Without that information, they're just as confused.

Soo.. is that .050" restrictor, measurement of millimeter?

You wouldn't have starved it, if you have oil coming out of the back.. if it were starved , it would seize. They don't know what's going on with you right.
yes in millimeter,like this but .050...http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...ATP-OIL-022not no shaft play,the turbo spin,,fullboost at 5300 rpmi write him in my mail that ive a b18b Honda engine turboed,with 70-80 psi of oïl at cold start/wot pull they seems really dont care about it!!

Last edited by duf2570; 05-08-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say your pressure is over 100psi they hopefully still warrant it
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiRCiviC94
Say your pressure is over 100psi they hopefully still warrant it
loll...so my tunner/turbo seller sais that he 98% of time even on Honda motor he never install a restrictor,,,so he send me a brand new one unit,,,,ill try without restrictor,,,
Old 05-08-2013, 05:47 PM

If he was at 70-80psi at that rpm, and he was running a .050" restrictor (which is still weird, that's only (1.3mm), still would allow enough oil flow to go to the turbine shaft and the sealing ring. The fact that there's oil coming out of the back housing means, that volume into the journal bearings wasn't the issue.

The turbine shaft is not seizing up, so there's no bent of "blued" shaft. The only other thing I can think of is the thrust bearing collar,possibly. If its using a spring tensioner for that collar, it could have come loose from something foreign.. But that's not likely.

What size is the drain line that you're using? It may be a nice sloping curve, but it also may be too small. What's the diameter of the oil return hose?
Old 05-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What size is the drain line that you're using? It may be a nice sloping curve, but it also may be too small. What's the diameter of the oil return hose?
-10an flange with 5/8 hydrolic piping(-10an) so ive removed earlier today the turbo and drain was partialy full of oïl...the exshaust Wheel was contamined but not enought to make smoke...no physical damage on both side...

maybe to much oïl in my setup??? i fill it always at the ''full line''
Old 05-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If he was at 70-80psi at that rpm, and he was running a .050" restrictor (which is still weird, that's only (1.3mm), still would allow enough oil flow to go to the turbine shaft and the sealing ring. The fact that there's oil coming out of the back housing means, that volume into the journal bearings wasn't the issue.

The turbine shaft is not seizing up, so there's no bent of "blued" shaft. The only other thing I can think of is the thrust bearing collar,possibly. If its using a spring tensioner for that collar, it could have come loose from something foreign.. But that's not likely.
so you suggest to try the new one with my restrictor to??
Old 05-08-2013, 06:30 PM

-10an flange with 5/8 hydrolic piping(-10an) so ive removed earlier today the turbo and drain was partialy full of oïl...the exshaust Wheel was contamined but not enought to make smoke...no physical damage on both side...

maybe to much oïl in my setup??? i fill it always at the ''full line''
Are you sure you want to say "contaminated" on the turbine wheel? You can just mean soaked or covered in oil, but contaminated has a different meaning in your diagnosis. There should be NO oil on the turbine wheel, otherwise, smoke will be created from the oil making contact with the turbine wheel and rear heat shield.

That oil return seems about right. I take it that the turbocharger was new or used? Something's not making sense.

Quick Reply: oil from hot side(turbo)