Notices

oil filter threaded stud came out!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default oil filter threaded stud came out!

when i took my oil filter off tonight the threaded stud came out with it, unscrewing from mthe block. since there is no hex nut on it, whats the best way to get it back in the block and tight?

in the meantime i installed a gsr oil cooler, but im not running coolant thorugh it, so id like to take it back off if possible
Old 04-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: oil filter threaded stud came out! (blackeg)

Google "double nut stud method" That should tell you how to do it. You basically put two nuts on a stud (lol) and screw them together til they're tight. Then, turn the top nut, and the stud should move with it.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil filter threaded stud came out! (GSaura)

yeah i kinda forgot about that. id need to the know the thread size of the oil filter so i could buy the correct nuts though...
Old 04-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take the stud to a hardware store. You should be able to figure out the pitch that way. Measure the diameter to figure out the size.

Ninja edit: To determine the pitch, just try to mesh the stud with any other fastener of the same pitch. If they match, that's the pitch value.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: oil filter threaded stud came out! (GSaura)

The problem with using two of those nuts is that they're M20x1.5 thread and they probably aren't readily available with a thin profile. Each nut is probably almost .5" thick. The best you can do is grind them down to get both of them onto the end of the stud.

My advice is to use a Golden Eagle sandwich plate adapter or one from say, a Mocal sandwich plate. Use the threaded adapter to secure the filter stud into the bolt.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil filter threaded stud came out! (IN VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IN VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My advice is to use a Golden Eagle sandwich plate adapter or one from say, a Mocal sandwich plate. Use the threaded adapter to secure the filter stud into the bolt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm, i have one of those lying around too..

is it bad to use the oem oil cooler and just have the ports looped together and not run any coolant through it??
Old 04-15-2008, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's going to be tough with the OEM GSR Oil Cooler, normally I just thread the stud into a Golden Eagle Sandwich Plate, and install into the block.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hmm, i have one of those lying around too..

is it bad to use the oem oil cooler and just have the ports looped together and not run any coolant through it??</TD></TR></TABLE>

You wouldn't need to loop it together if no coolant enters in the first place. If I were you I'd just try the double nut method (if you can find that size) and if not I would buy a new one. Spray it with some penetrating oil and let sit over night then hit it again in the AM. Then maybe try cleaning it off with brake clean and holding it tight with a rubber grip and see if you can't budge it.

If that doesn't work you could always try tapping tapping the oil filter around the edge with a hammer and try to break it loose. There are still a few options...I'd try some more things man.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil filter threaded stud came out! (totsie7944)

well i connected the ports just to keep stuff from getting in there. to be honest, ive never used a tq wrench on the golden eagle sandwich plate and i was using with my lsvtec for the past 3 years, just got it tight as i could with a wrench.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil filter threaded stud came out! (a1320addict)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320addict &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's going to be tough with the OEM GSR Oil Cooler, normally I just thread the stud into a Golden Eagle Sandwich Plate, and install into the block.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ohh, im only using the cooler now because i could get it threaded into the block with the motor in the car. its not hooked up and i have no plans of using it once i get this situation squared away..

your idea about the stud into the golden eagle plate is very good. im gonna buy a socket today and if that doesnt work out ill be doing what you suggested
Old 04-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a man i had the same problem with mine i order some nuts and did a lock nut type deal.. if you pm your address and paypal me some postage, ill send you two so you can fix your problem. When you put it back on the the block do the same lock nut type deal and screw it back on the block.