Notices

Oil in cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil in cylinder

recently i replace my piston rings due to burning oil in cylinder #1. everything was ok after the new rings. after driving the car for about 300 miles the car started smoking again. i took off spark plug on cylinder one and see lite oil and the spark plug and piston. Anyone now what can be the problem? what i can think of is valve stem seal or piston rings again?? the car smoke on idle and i some times i can see smoke during heavy throttle.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil in cylinder

help
Old 05-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just start eliminating things one by one. Easiest would be pull the manifolds off and see if you have oil wetness coming down from the valve seals, if you do then you know you need valve seals.

Is there a crankcase breather aka catch can on this boosted application? if so what and where is it hooked up? are you still running pcv system? give alot more of a description and peopel will be able to better diagnose the problem or give you some more pointers. Good luck
Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im running the stock crankcase breather with pcv still hookup. i have a catch can that the valve cover is hook up to only. should i not run the pcv system or leave it unplug? today i saw white smoke coming out of the catch can and the car still smoke on idle and heavy throttle. a/f on part throttle is good if that matters.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how did you break the new rings in? also did you hone the block and check to make sure it wasn't worn on the cylinder walls? if you just popped the piston out and put new rings on slapped it back in that could be the problem.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oil in the comubstionchambers is probably coming from the lack of cranckcase ventilation and still running the pcv. the pcv hooked up generally dumps oil into the intake manifold on boosted applications. ditch it and for now run the hose to something to catch and oil that comes out of it and work on getting your self a good catch can setup. minimum or two -10an fittings off the front of th evalve cover will work to a nice breather tank. look them up on here there being sold in nice ready to go kits all the time

could also be what ITR stated about the cylinder walls. you will get smoke out of a breather system thats . what were the piston rings gapped to? who did them? how were they done.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:45 AM

Make sure you check the head gasket. Thats cheap and if it blows it can let oil into the combustion chamber.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never had a problem running the stock PCV system on my setup. I was pushing 248whp/215wtq for 17K miles. I'm sure it put some stress on my seals, but it has never smoked to this day and I have put an additional 19K on the motor N/A.

OP: Did you make sure too that your cylinder was not out-of-round and make sure you clocked your rings? You should have slowly increased load and rpms on your new rings too to seat them properly. If you have done all of this I would venture to say that your head is causing your issues.

Keep us updated so we can help.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ITR.#1446
how did you break the new rings in? also did you hone the block and check to make sure it wasn't worn on the cylinder walls? if you just popped the piston out and put new rings on slapped it back in that could be the problem.
i break in the rings by normal driving. all four cylinder walls look normal. since i was replacing cylinder one rings, i just replace all of them. all the cylinder were hone with a hand held honer using a power driver. about 10-15 second in each cylinder.

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
oil in the comubstionchambers is probably coming from the lack of cranckcase ventilation and still running the pcv. the pcv hooked up generally dumps oil into the intake manifold on boosted applications. ditch it and for now run the hose to something to catch and oil that comes out of it and work on getting your self a good catch can setup. minimum or two -10an fittings off the front of th evalve cover will work to a nice breather tank. look them up on here there being sold in nice ready to go kits all the time

can i just unplug the pvc hose going to the intake manifold? or run that to the catch can?

could also be what ITR stated about the cylinder walls. you will get smoke out of a breather system thats . what were the piston rings gapped to? who did them? how were they done.
top ring- .020 second ring- .16. i was the one who put these rings in. the rings were grind using a piston ring grinder. This is not the first time put together a motor. This is the first time i came across a problem like this.

Originally Posted by supercharged d
Make sure you check the head gasket. Thats cheap and if it blows it can let oil into the combustion chamber.
if the head gasket is blown, wouldnt i have overheating problem and water in the cylinder instead of oil? or can oil get in there to?

Originally Posted by blaze the chemi
I never had a problem running the stock PCV system on my setup. I was pushing 248whp/215wtq for 17K miles. I'm sure it put some stress on my seals, but it has never smoked to this day and I have put an additional 19K on the motor N/A.

95% force induction cars i seem around here have stock pcv system running fine.

OP: Did you make sure too that your cylinder was not out-of-round and make sure you clocked your rings? You should have slowly increased load and rpms on your new rings too to seat them properly. If you have done all of this I would venture to say that your head is causing your issues.

Keep us updated so we can help.
i didnt check the cylinder walls if it was out of round. How can i come upon checking if it is out of round? i clock the rings 180 apart from each other. im thinking it could be the head too, but im just not sure. the rings are to new to just go bad and after the new rings install everything was good. no oil buring untill i hit the 300mile break in and notice white smoke coming out of my tail pipe. i been checking the pistons before the 300mile mark and everything was ok. what got me is that all of a sudden it just started leaking oil again in the same cylinder. i just did a compression check today and here are the result
cylin. 1- 125 2- 170 3- 170 4- 150. pistons are 9:1
Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just checking, anything can happen. you second ring should have had a larger gap than the first ring. stock piston rings/nippons or performance rings? stock pistons or aftermarket? im assuming stock everything top ring should be around 16 and bottom ring 20 if wanted loose for boosted then 18-20 top and 20-24 bottom
Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

these are aftermarket arias 9:1.