Notices

oil cooler units

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2001, 09:58 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler units

my friend works at a tranny store and i saw on the shelf that they have oil cooling units. Many different sizes, for a cheap price. can someone help me out! benifits of oil coolers......less idle time(cooling down).
cooler oil temp ofcourse?????

whats the deal....what one to get? anyone w/ coolers installed??(got pics)
advice on installing? can i help any local people out?
Old 10-29-2001, 11:18 PM
Trial User

Default Re: oil cooler units (4dGSR at work)

ttt
Old 10-30-2001, 12:30 AM
New User

i always thought the oil had to run hot and thinner or else you'll start burning oil when the piston rings can't scrape it completely from the cylinder wall because it's too thick...even when checking oil you can't have it too cold or else you'll get an inaccurate measurement
Old 10-31-2001, 10:50 AM
New User

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=81596
Old 10-31-2001, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil cooler units (Roach2k)

with the extreme cylinder pressures we see in FI cars the are street driven you may want to seriously look at investing in an oil cooler. your oil viscosity be it 5w-30 or whatever is your target at elevated temps, you cannot maintain this when oil gets very hot/thin. this is how you spin a bearing or get bad seals, oil system is also a cooling system for all the parts. IE vtec oil squirters on the pistons is for carrying away heat not really lubrication.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:15 PM

Default Re: oil cooler units (rtype11)

With a turbo, couldn't we just take the return line to the oil pan, run it through a cooler, and then dump it into the pan? Woudln't this save the trouble of having to use an adaptor?

-S
Old 10-31-2001, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil cooler units (shingles)

With a turbo, couldn't we just take the return line to the oil pan, run it through a cooler, and then dump it into the pan? Woudln't this save the trouble of having to use an adaptor?

-S
Actually that is not bad thinking but its hard to run a drain line off aturbo in many different directions its really reccommend to run the drain line straight dwon with lease amount of bends or curves.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:39 PM
New User

The oil cooler will reduce the temp of the engine oil and thus, reduce the overall engine temp. It allows you to add an extra quart of oil and, yes, theoretically, it will reduce the amount of time the turbo timer has to keep the engine running although I leave mine at a minute 45 seconds still. The oil cooler, combined with a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 or Amsoil, will give you a good deal of protection. There are many different types available. I bought a Greddy oil cooler which you can see at my webpage - http://www.turbocivic.net/oilcooler.htm I recently saw a post https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=81596 that will answer many of the questions you just asked too.