which oil catch ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default which oil catch ?

Hello guys.

which oil catch do you prefered??

i have a cheap from ebay but this oil catch never catch the oil.
i have a light white smoke at idle from the air drain at the bottom of the engine , with or without the oil catch...

i have a B16A2 engine turbo with 9100 rpm limit.

Last edited by Nick_p; 02-02-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: which oil catch ?

A lot of people I know use Moroso catch cans. Make sure the one you get one that has breather too. White smoke most of the time means burning coolant.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've got a moroso with a barb on the bottom that drains back into the block. It was good for 700hp. Before I added the drain I did have problems with it puking oil out of the breather.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ryguy2588
A lot of people I know use Moroso catch cans. Make sure the one you get one that has breather too. White smoke most of the time means burning coolant.
coolant?? hmm i think i wrote it wrong before.
a light white smoke on the top of the engine...from the air drain ( i dont know the right word for that) and not from the exhaust...sorry..

Originally Posted by mr.speaker
I've got a moroso with a barb on the bottom that drains back into the block. It was good for 700hp. Before I added the drain I did have problems with it puking oil out of the breather.
hmmm i think mine is bit small for 450 hp..so we want a oil catch with breather filter on the bottom..
what about this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or this bi one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-LIT...item3cb3baef41
Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can buy them from B&R fittings right here on Honda-Tech. I just bought mine and installed. I got the smaller catch can return back kit for $290 but you can get a one gallon w/3 filters or black braided lines instead of stainless or black can, either way it comes with everything and fits perfect.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

summit has a catch thats a moroso knock off for 32.00. I think you need to check your routing if its not catching anything..

The valve cover fitting has a breather filter on it. Air flows through the crankcase and out of the PCV port which now has a plastic 90* barbed fitting in it (no PCV valve). From the PCV port, the air flows into the side of the catch can and out of the top of the can. Air then flows back to the pre-turbo intake pipe. A 90* fitting is not required here because air flowing across the opening of the fitting in the intake pipe will draw air out in the direction of air flow (the same reason water comes out the top of a straw when it is submerged in a glass of water and you blow across the top of it).

This routing is not a closed circuit system with the only drive for the system being provided by vacuum.

Thanks to xenocron from G2IC for this PCV plumbing option.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
summit has a catch thats a moroso knock off for 32.00. I think you need to check your routing if its not catching anything..

The valve cover fitting has a breather filter on it. Air flows through the crankcase and out of the PCV port which now has a plastic 90* barbed fitting in it (no PCV valve). From the PCV port, the air flows into the side of the catch can and out of the top of the can. Air then flows back to the pre-turbo intake pipe. A 90* fitting is not required here because air flowing across the opening of the fitting in the intake pipe will draw air out in the direction of air flow (the same reason water comes out the top of a straw when it is submerged in a glass of water and you blow across the top of it).

This routing is not a closed circuit system with the only drive for the system being provided by vacuum.

understand the theory with why this works, just wondering if you go this way because it's more effective using the intake tube over the vac port on the manifold or?

Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage

understand the theory with why this works, just wondering if you go this way because it's more effective using the intake tube over the vac port on the manifold or?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by racebum
Under boost, you wouldnt be sucking any crank case pressure out...you would be blocking it in.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to ALL IN fabrications he makes them custom for your setup and they r legit as sh*t!!!!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i'm looking at this but don't really grasp how it would be more effective since the valve cover has a breather on it. doing the above would provide some vacuum on the black box but how much and how much better if at all would it perform over a standard baffled vented catch can that you just plumb the vc and black box to?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the way i paln on doing it is using the exhaust as my vaccuum and running 2 ports from the VC i plan to keep the port for the exhaust above the 2 ports coming from the VC to lower the chance of it sucking oil into the exhaust and then putting a check line in the line running to the exhaust.

this catch can wont have a breather on it either
Old 02-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sohctodohc
the way i paln on doing it is using the exhaust as my vaccuum and running 2 ports from the VC i plan to keep the port for the exhaust above the 2 ports coming from the VC to lower the chance of it sucking oil into the exhaust and then putting a check line in the line running to the exhaust.

this catch can wont have a breather on it either
see i get this, with a sealed system you're using airflow to create vacuum on the line. how much vacuum this really creates is something i'm not sure of. the vented systems make sense but not when you add vacuum...i mean you're venting the vacuum to the atmosphere. what makes the absolute most sense is a vacuum pump rigged up where the AC is. then you would not only gain hp, you would make 100% sure you don't have positive pressure anywhere
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where the heck can i find just a stock catch can for my 90 teg?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by olddohc
where the heck can i find just a stock catch can for my 90 teg?
stock uses the pcv system, what are you asking exactly?
Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i need that piece on the back of the block that catches oil, i think it might be called a breather box, its black and recangular in shape and has a hose or two attached to it
Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, you would need to go to honda or acura and order one, it is a breather box which they will show as part of the pcv system. there is another way around it though. you can block that off and run an endyn style catch can
Old 02-13-2011, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B&R
Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i see a lot of replies here.

i see the diagram.

i already drive the valve cover fitting AND the PCV port (without the 90* PCV valve) to the inlet of oil catch can.
and the outlet of the oil catch to the pre-turbo intake pipe.

I did this because i think if i use breather filter to valve cover fiting maybe smels bad in the cabin.

is this way wrong to a turbo B16 engine??