Notices

Oh boy did I just go all in...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Oh boy did I just go all in...

Well I've had my turbo project benched for almost 1.5 years... I'm married with kids so it's tough finding time or money to spend on myself... Goals are 300-400whp pretty much daily driven on pump gas ( I'm fine with 350 max for now off race gas... I'll probobly do meth injection later or do a race gas map)

Anyway... I just bought/ordered:

88,000mi (not likely) D16Z6 from a local yard

**EDIT 11/05/2009**
I've been to my buddy's station where the motor is once and stripped off all the accessories and the exhaust manifold. Intake is still all on. I was beat and hungry plus I've always gotta clean up and put the parts somewhere out of the way...

Everything looked pretty good... the v/c had way more charred crap in it than I would've liked but the valvetrain all looked alright. I'm just concerned about less than frequent oil changes on the engine..

It's DEFINATELY REALLY low milage though the A/C Compressor looks brand new as does the alternator and p/s pump. Exhaust manifold is actually in great condition too but it had a replacement O2 sensor which also brings up concern.

No distributer which kind of pissed me off but I didn't really expect it... JY's never include those with motors.

More pics below...

**/EDIT**

**EDIT**

10/29

Went back to the station stripped the rest of the block down and got it up on the engine stand. Just have to pull the crank/pistons/rods then it's measuring time. I'm thinking I'm going to order 75.5mm vitara's so I can set the p2w clearance.

Pics below

**/EDIT**

From Lightning Motorsports (AWESOME VENDOR)

Moroso Oil Pan

Aem rail/FPR + fuel Pressure Guage

Autometer EGT Gauge with Sending Unit

ARP FW/PP/Head bolts/studs

From Aquafina:

Mfactory Dseries LSD

Action 2md

Diff. Bearing

My turbo is in: SUNNYVALE, CA, US 11/05/2009 4:06 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY

Already have:

Scat/75.0mm (or 74.9 apparently) Vitara/Hastings/ACL (75.5's on the way 75's for sale)
ARP head studs
Cometic HG (probobly replacing with stock)
Comp Cams 59300 + Springs/Titanium Retainers
Fidanza 8lb FW
IC Piping/BOV/Intercooler
Vented Valve cover B&G Catch can with return
BW T3/04b 57 trim
S300/Walbro/Precision (525's)
Tial WG
Oil Feed/Return
GM 3Bar - May replace with omni/hondata
Innovate LC1 WBO2 with gauge
Autometer:
Water/Oil Temp Gauges
Oil Pressure Gauge
Boost Gauge
EGT Gauge

Car has some suspension and brakes too... (ITR fronts, rear disk conversion, GC/Koni) Still needs camber kits front and rear and sways/braces...

And some misc. interior stuff like a custom Porsche 944 console, Integra leather (front only for now rears I have won't fit my coupe) and stereo too... lol All stuffed into a $2,000.00 (if I was lucky) 93 honda civic.

Only things left are the injectors if I change them out now, a boost selonoid (probobly going to pick up from xenocron when I get tuned... I have a vw/audi one now I got for free... but prob. better off with the nicer aftermarket unit)

3" Exhaust with cat/resonator/muffler.

If I'm missing something definately chime in...

"Oh boy is this gunna be great." lol

Last edited by NonovUrbizniz; 11-05-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Oh boy did I just go all in...

cant wait to see it all together, i am a SOHC guy at heart and always will be!!! for boost control go to www.j-k-tuning.com and check out the single and dual stage controllers, you wont regret it they are amazing and affordable. he is also a sponsor here and sells them in the classified section
Old 10-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

S300 has boost control so I just need a solenoid.

Probobly getting this one:

http://www.xenocron.com/pwm-electron...oid-p-263.html

I already have one similar to this but the newer version:

http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/i...1182955OES.JPG
Old 10-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he's just trying to sell the one he designed. While it does work well, use whatever you want. should be fun
Old 10-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like a fun build! good luck and enjoy it.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:55 AM

Old 10-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i love my turbo vitara. you will too!
Old 10-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All that nice gear...and you're using a crappy GM 3bar? Get an omni/hondata 4bar and you'll be much happier - with looks, wiring ease, and better idle/vacuum running. You are probably better off with the MAC solenoid, since S300 doesn't have as many options for frequency. Thats fairly important, and will be easier to tune since he probably has a much better idea of the initial values to use for a MAC.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah go with the hondata 4bar, my gm 3bar is givin me problems right now
Old 10-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't even realize the gm 3bar was a bad idea... 3bar is way more than I'll ever run... but if they're unreliable I'll def go with another...

I'm gunna leave these things to the discretion of Xenocron.

Definately excited though... driving the car NA was rediculous fun while it was running I was soo pissed when I spun the bearing and the build got put on hold.

I frankly don't even know if I'm ready for how fast the car is going to be... luckily enough though I'm 32 and way past my days of driving like a nut on public roads... but I'll definately be looking forward to driving it down to E-town to see what it can really do...

Although I'm probobly going to have to wait for next year to get slicks and a traction bar....

I'm chomping at the bit to get it done though...

Engine is going to be at my buddy's gas station on monday so figure I'll stop by and strip it down to the block/crank... then tues. I'll stop back and measure everything... hopefully I'll be able to get away with a simple hone and then start assembly.

Should have the diff/clutch/pp by the weekend so I can rebuild the trans.... probobly have to order some bearings for that and maybe some synchros.

Get the turbo out to spoolin next week too.

I'm probobly going to break in the engine NA if I get it all together before the manifold/turbo are back... Although I've got plenty of plumbing/wiring to do with all the gauges alone... so we'll see.

I'm also thinking about looping the power steering rack while the engine's out and maybe even spraying the engine bay... so we'll see... I've definately got enough busy work to keep me occupied before the manifold gets here....

Just trying not to get too distracted by side projects... (should've done all the busy work while the car's been sitting all this time... but like I said married with kids so.. it's easy for time to pass and get nothing done.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and the motor I'm getting has a head on it so I'm probobly gunna port the intake runners and port/polish the exhaust runners on it...

Maybe even lighten the rockers a bit... anyone got any info on that... I mean I know you just remove material but wondering if there's a write up anywhere.... I may do one... I'm going to be weighing everything with a digital scale anyway to try to make sure all the rod/piston/rings assemblies are as close in weight as possible... so I'll probobly shave some rockers and see what kind of weight I feel like I can safely take off them...

Also gotta spend some time modding my y8 intake manifold to work as more of a bolt on... the lack of IAT sensor port I took car of when it was NA but I'm not sure it will hold up under boost... it's also got a ton of extra vacum port lines that I don't need to use so I'm thinking of shaving them off and having them welded shut... as well as maybe getting one of those IAT flanges welded on so I don't have to worry about boost leaks from it. if the head porting goes well I'll match port the manifold too...

I figure as much as I can do to make the head flow nice the better...

Also if anyone has any info on swapping over the D15b roller rockers to the d16z6 head that'd be awesome... definately something I'd be interested in doing.

I was revving it to 8500 before I spun the bearing (lol... not that's not why... I hadn't been driving the car a ton and it had NEVER lost oil before but had recently started to... I didn't bother to check it and it was 2qts down... lol oops)...
Old 10-18-2009, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Subscribed for more information on the MAP sensors having different levels of reliability or accuracy or whatever. This is new information to me.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems like you have it all planned out and its a damn good looking plan. Best of luck to ya cant wait to see what you can do with this
Old 10-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I couldn't be more exited... I've been wanting to turbo a car since I was 16... it just never panned out... now I've finally got some money AND a little time... 08 sucked I had tons of money to blow in it but NO time whatsoever to work on it... after the bearing blew it's just sat...

And the plan was definately a long time coming too... I started out going to do a junkyard turbo setup... most of which I still have... I'm literally a fuel pump and ECU (I have a virgin p28) away from a second turbo setup... i've been thinking of picking up a beater after I'm done with this and doing a JYT setup just to see how cheap I can do it.

F'ing nothing is selling in my forsale thread except the 2 things I knew would sell in minutes.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The GM 3bars as a whole have issues reading vacuum, especially high vac like many small Hondas can pull. Then you have the inconsistencies from them being made by several 3rd parties for GM, no batch is exactly alike. Omni's use the Freescale sensor, which is leaps and bounds above the element GM uses.

As far as lightening the lifters - don't bother. The only way to really get roller rockers is to use a vtec-e head, but that will also require a custom reground camshaft to make any power.

Honestly I think you're going overboard in some aspects. Example would be the intake, it would be easier and possibly cheaper to just get an aftermarket IM, and it will make more power too. I say do what you need to first - then get side-tracked. Get it running NA first (even if for a single mile), toss the kit on, then do all the little cosmetic stuff. Deleting PS is a lot easier with the engine out, though - I would at least recommend that.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^definately worth a second look then... I believe xenocron sells the omni's so all these last details to do with tuning (boost selonoid, injectors, MAP) I'm going to leave to him to decide and most likely supply.

I'm definately with you on the trying to narrow my focus although I definately have a tough time doing so... and with the motor out I'm going to be VERY tempted to paint it...

On a different note thanks to the National Corporate Reps for my buddies gas station.. my cars been evicted and dropped off at my brother's house which actually works out pretty well right now... I'll have some time to work on it at his house and that's where I keep my spare parts so I can clean out the trunk of all the crap that got stuffed in there during the tear down.

Look for a new thread shortly... might as well start up the build thread... I'll be getting stuff in the car much faster with it at my brother's house.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for pics... I'm going to leave it P/S for now... I have the fluid to flush out the system and never bothered to do it... so I'll do that drive it for a while and decied whether or not to pull it later... Might as well take advantage of the A/C P/S Manifold.

Gunna pull apart the trans at somepoint this week... check to see what bearings I need to order and if/what synchros.

I measured the Vitara's and they're ALL under 75.0mm so I'm thinking about either getting 75.5's... or maybe sleeving the block... I've got a friend of a friend who'll do darton sleeves for 200....

A couple people have said just throw them in and they'll be fine... I'm sure they're right but I'd definatley prefer not to have too much slap... I was actually leaning towards making the P2W clearance on the tigher side to avoid it as much as possible.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
I was actually leaning towards making the P2W clearance on the tigher side to avoid it as much as possible.
If you've gone all in, I don't think this sounds like a good idea. A little looser P2W probably allows you to boost it up hard with a bit better measure of safety. Just a thought.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just meant on the tighter side of loose... not tight tight. ... but at this point with people saying it'll be fine I very well might just through it together as is.

As long as the cylinder bores are straight, I may just ballhone and slap it together run it NA and break it in.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tjabo
If you've gone all in, I don't think this sounds like a good idea. A little looser P2W probably allows you to boost it up hard with a bit better measure of safety. Just a thought.
Exactly, which along with the drop in compression is what keeps the Vitara motor setups together. Looser is better in this case...

As far as the GM 3 Bar, quality..etc goes...I have had issues with other 3 bar sensors out there, but the vendor that has supplied me mine now for a few years is solid and has given me data in the past about how these sensors get better QC than the GM/Delco sensors the dealers sell...

Yes the motorola sensors read more accurately in vacuum in the area where most Hondas idle, but with our options now in engine management, getting a car to idle properly with Hondata/eCtune/Neptune is way better now than it used to be when tuning on older lopey idle versions of Crome. The Hondata/Omni sensor is nice, and I would prefer to use it...but I present both options of the GM 3 bar and the Hondata 4 bar, and MOST people opt for the half price option.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^Thanks Chris...

I've already ordered the 75.5mm vitara's I'm much more comfortable with machining in the clearance I want instead of just throwing them in and living with what P2W is out of the box.

I already purchased the GM 3bar which I still might replace with the omni/hondata one... only thing left is the MAC selonoid I'll be ordering from xenocron pretty soon and a vacuum manifold I'm going to get from Speed Factory with nice pushloc fittings/line.

Other than that I'm basically down to assembly time... I just got my ARP FW/PP bolts plus the exhaust manifold studs.

only things I see causing any real issues are the I/C piping I have and mounting the FMIC.

Going to stick with the 525cc injectors for now... I'm not shooting for anything over 400hp (probobly not even that since I'm more than likely never going to put race gas in it.)

Look for a build thread or two starting soon... I'm going to try to do a good write up on rebuilding the trans and installing the M-factory LSD.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for edits/added pics

Turbo is out for delivery in CA to Spoolin. 75.5mm vitara's are ordered.

Just need Vacuum manifold/lines/fittings and an oil sandwich adapter.

Maybe some misc. detail bits... but I think I'm pretty well covered.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hit up RCautoworks for a vacuum mani very nice stuff there. Keep up the good work
Old 11-06-2009, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definately going with speed factory as they have kits that come with pushloc fittings and lines and all for a GREAT price and in anodized black.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some more work done last night...

Sucks I keep stopping by the Gas Station after work in my fancy clothes and ruining them...

Figure I'll get back there this weekend and try to get all the notching/shaving I need done before I send it out to the machinist to get bored/honed.

Took the extra head home with me and will port and polish that sometime this week or weekend...

Having major problems finding time to work on this... Holidays aren't going to make it any easier.

Quick Reply: Oh boy did I just go all in...