Notices

OBX manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBX manifold

ok ok i know i already heard all the things about this manifold but i already paid for it and is getting shipped. i go tth eobx manifold for $220
but this is what im thinking....apply another layer over the runner where they meet the flange and the wastegate runner....also run a support bracket it to take some stress off the manifold.....after all that is done reweld all the welds...think ill have problems? ots goign to be on a D15 then a D16 about 8-10psi...let me know
Old 08-06-2003, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OBX manifold (ecko_rican)

first off dont do anything to the manifold like that.....you will void your warranty, they are lifetime warrantied and they stick to it, i just got my new one....i figured out what is so bad about them.....nothing, all you need is to brace everything putting forces on it, add bolt on braces for the wastegate section, make sure you brace the dump tube keep all weight off the manfiold, brace your downpipe to your engine and so on, make it so there is no weight hanging on it.....turbo + wastegate + dump tube + downpipe all hanging off the manifold is certanly gonna crack...its just simple engineering...spread the weight out and keep stress off the stress points, and the problems are solved... those manifolds flow sooo good, i made 205 whp on my sohc on 6psi with the manifold and i kno it contributed to that....i kno ill get bashed but it just takes some extra bracing here and there...but you can have the best welder on the planet make awesome welds and with that weight hanging off it, its gonna break its basic physics...but thats why they are so called "junky".....my first one i didnt brace and after seeing where it cracked it was exactly where the most stress is at on the manifold....people have there own opinions on parts, and this is mine on those manifolds....just my 2 cents

Trav
Old 08-06-2003, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX manifold (RexSiT3)

Good to hear someone has actually tried to brace one up. Everyone writes them off and don't try them out at all. I know that they have had alot of problems, but bracing could possibly help some of the problems, don't flame.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:05 AM
Munkyw3rkz.webs.com

thanx for you 2 cents , im gladf to hear some positive comments about it ...all ive heard were negitive. do you or anyone have pics of their support brackets? i already did a search and wasnt pleased with it. thanx again.....
by the way REXSIT3 what mods did you do to your D for 205 at 6PSI
Old 08-07-2003, 09:47 AM

hahahahahahaha.......all that effort to make a shitty manifold work? is it worth it? if you bought it, somebody else will be it for certain; sell it! I don't understand why people do half-fast jobs on one of the most important components of your turbo system. RevHard/InlinePro/MaxRev/Drag....some of the quality log styles that will give you peace of mind. If you just waited another month or so you'd probably have a manifold where your not worrying if the sucker will break off or not.....just MY .02.....another point.....invest your money in a product which was created by company who specializes in turbo systems.....
Old 08-07-2003, 10:55 AM
New User

Default Re: OBX manifold (mamaboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mamaboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahahahahahaha.......all that effort to make a shitty manifold work? is it worth it? if you bought it, somebody else will be it for certain; sell it! I don't understand why people do half-fast jobs on one of the most important components of your turbo system. RevHard/InlinePro/MaxRev/Drag....some of the quality log styles that will give you peace of mind. If you just waited another month or so you'd probably have a manifold where your not worrying if the sucker will break off or not.....just MY .02.....another point.....invest your money in a product which was created by company who specializes in turbo systems.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

How much does all that extra work cost? welding bracing etc... wouldnt it just come out to the same price as a decent log style?
Old 08-07-2003, 12:05 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: OBX manifold (psileepR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psileepR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How much does all that extra work cost? welding bracing etc... wouldnt it just come out to the same price as a decent log style?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Free if you can do it yourself, braces don't have to have the prettiest of welds. I have the same manifold and it was very simple to fab a brace off the ac brackets that bolted to the turbo exhaust housing/DP bolts, i also had to port the wastegate outlet alittle bit. BTW i got my mani for $150, and im sure it will flow better than a log style.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:10 PM

Default Re: OBX manifold (Mpir3)

re-weld the whole manifold with a mig welder, single support bracket from the head flange to the turbo flange in the rear.

done
Old 08-07-2003, 12:18 PM

hahahaha, all that effort to bash a manifold you have never used... all it takes is one idiot to make a company name go bad... atleast listen to ppl who have used it
if it has a warranty and you dont want to void it then dont do anything to it, just make sure that the turbo is installed properly
Old 08-07-2003, 12:23 PM

Default Re: OBX manifold (stierhund)

i thought the placement of the wastegate tube causes the boost to creep like hell??
atleast it looks shiny..
Old 08-07-2003, 12:29 PM

I agree, if it has a guarentee then just leave it alone. I bought one for my gsr and am very pleased with the looks and quality. If anybody else is looking for a stainless tubular manifold contact info@ssautochrome and tell him you are a h-t member. He is mad cheap and very prompt.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:40 PM

Default Re: OBX manifold (silverware)

its a good bang for buck if your on a budget however for 220 u should have been able to find a used rev hard, drag one on here for about 50 bucks more..

but hey u got it stick with it and prove us wrong about there cheap welds.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX manifold (silverware)

Let me start off by saying that I have this manifold, and I have braced it. Nothing is wrong with the design. Thats not in question. What was in question was cracking in the runners and wastegate neck. If thats supported properly that manifold will out perform any log style manifold hands down. I can't afford a Full Race manifold and I would never through a log style manifold under my hood. Ya I spent extra coin bracing it and doing preventative maintaince. Manifold looks good and performance of this manifold was never a issue. So if you can stop it from cracking by making support brackets then why not use it? Click on the link and you will see my manifold already braced.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=585608
Old 08-07-2003, 12:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stierhund &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahahaha, all that effort to bash a manifold you have never used... all it takes is one idiot to make a company name go bad... atleast listen to ppl who have used it
if it has a warranty and you dont want to void it then dont do anything to it, just make sure that the turbo is installed properly</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never used it.......search and you'll see why........and there name is already bad.....if you don't do anything to it it'll crack and fall apart on you......before you go bash anybody......have you had this manifold? what prior knowledge do you have....one quick click on the search button will reveal how crappy this **** is.......you feel better about yourself....for sounding smarter...then do it....i'm trying to help this man not have any headaches in the future.......

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MIKES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me start off by saying that I have this manifold, and I have braced it. Nothing is wrong with the design. Thats not in question. What was in question was cracking in the runners and wastegate neck. If thats supported properly that manifold will out perform any log style manifold hands down. I can't afford a Full Race manifold and I would never through a log style manifold under my hood. Ya I spent extra coin bracing it and doing preventative maintaince. Manifold looks good and performance of this manifold was never a issue. So if you can stop it from cracking by making support brackets then why not use it? Click on the link and you will see my manifold already braced.</TD></TR></TABLE>
why not use it?....so you won't have to constantly reweld and brace the **** out of it....in the end all you'll have is a mangled piece o' **** as a manifold....and your still welding away......and what is especially wrong with a log style? that's a strange thought.....how much WHP are you running? 500 on the street.......it's strange.....full-race will help out with overall efficiency and further potential, but **** if your strictly street and drag occasionaly then a log will suffice.....
Old 08-07-2003, 12:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mamaboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahahahahahaha.......all that effort to make a shitty manifold work? is it worth it? if you bought it, somebody else will be it for certain; sell it! I don't understand why people do half-fast jobs on one of the most important components of your turbo system. RevHard/InlinePro/MaxRev/Drag....some of the quality log styles that will give you peace of mind. If you just waited another month or so you'd probably have a manifold where your not worrying if the sucker will break off or not.....just MY .02.....another point.....invest your money in a product which was created by company who specializes in turbo systems.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

took the words right out of my mouth.. And there is a reason why a lot of people that arent new to this dont use those Meng Spark OBX, manifolds. There crap. They wont hold up to heat and weight stress. There wastegate port is to small. And they need to be braced and strapped to hold together. I mean look at Hytech Full-Race Inline and Rev-hards, they dont break, they wont break becuase there not made out of cheap materials and have pass through welds not just external seems on them. These are not good manifolds, that is why most dont buy them, because it costs more time to maintain and fix them then there worth. I mean hey you want to save a buck here and there, but this (manifold) is not something to go cheap on. And ive been building turbo systems peice by peice for almost 6 years now, ive used revhard hytech cooks inline, and they have never given me a headache. my 2 cents.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to educate yourself. Nothings wrong with this manifold if you brace it properly. Your not helping this guy out. If you were helping him out you would say," seeing as how you got it cheap, just brace it properly and you should be alright. Not its crappy bullshit. The design is very good, the welds are the weak link. Some may never have problems and others will. Its robotically welded so its hit and miss.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:56 PM

Default Re: OBX manifold (MIKES)

hahahahahaha......well ecko_rican you have two opinions....go with the OBX what the hell.....hahahhahaha....and you wanted pics right.....well here's MIKES https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=585608
Old 08-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mamaboy- for someone who doesn't have the manifold or any idea of its performance ability (not strength, performance) you seem to act like a expert on this manifold. If its all braced up and the proper steps have been taken to insure its reiablity then whats wrong with the manifold? Thats my question to you? Whats a extra $50 to get it braced. You have no proof that it can't perform, and you will not find any in a search. Because performance was never a issue. He has got the manifold already, so selling it is not a option. Help the guy make the right steps now that he has got it.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:08 PM

You guys just make **** way to complicated. It's almost like a woman piecing together a turbo kit. Has to make it complicated when it's not. I mean you can get a used revhard for like $250-275, is saving $25 worh ti to you to have to end up fixing it later on. It'slike the budget turbo people who buy the deltagate instead of tial. Woohooo you saved $75, but argue they cant afford a tial. My question is what the hell do they do when it spikes and bye bye motor. I'm sorry that this doesn't help your post but just had to vent. DO IT RIGHT THE FRIST TIME.

There are plenty other ways to save $ piecing together a turbo kit, but like already mentined why cheap out on one of the most important pieces .
Old 08-07-2003, 01:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MIKES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Whats a extra $50 to get it braced........ You have no proof that it can't perform, and you will not find any in a search. Because performance was never a issue.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What's an extra $50 for a used RevHard/InlinePro/Drag that you don't have to brace and reweld? that's a better question. Nobody said anything about performance......don't know anything about the performance of these manis, never seen a dyno with them.....or heard any personal experiences of performance differences from this to a log mani.......so can't comment there......but i seriously think the log and OBX mani (if any performances are worth mentioning) are too negligable to even mention
Old 08-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX manifold (quikB18B)

quikB18B- Yes the $75 extra dollars I would save could pay for the bracing and porting out the wastegate hole so it doesn't boost spike. The thing your forgeting is it will out perform those log style manifolds you just mentioned. The guy with the 400+ TypeR from Austria picked up large with this over a log style so why wouldn't you try it out if your not paying a arm and a leg for it. This manifold will not hurt anyones setup. Might **** you off if you have not braced it, but it definately won't hurt it. Strength is your only complaint, Once its strengthened whats wrong with it?
Old 08-07-2003, 01:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MIKES &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">quikB18B- Strength is your only complaint, Once its strengthened whats wrong with it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well yes you have a valid argument, but problems don't oocur overnight. People just starting bracing these manifolds. Who knows that problems won't arrise later on. I am only this way because i have short cutted things in the past and ended up paying more later. I am a firm beleiver in sticking with what works and what been proven time and time again. I personally went with the inlinepro

I didnt mean to start any kind of war don't get me wrong everyone is entitled to thier own opionion and decisions. I just learned from the hard way from experience. I am all about the KISS, (keep it simple Stupid) I dont mess with things that I don't have to. Your argument on making more power than standard log manifolds, well what about lovefab, he does nice work for the price
Old 08-07-2003, 08:51 PM

it all depends on who gets what manifold, they produce and sell those manifolds constantly and every one of them is different, so that means they get better w/time
dont bash someone for gettin a good deal, especially when it works
Old 08-07-2003, 08:55 PM
I am a bad person

who says it will outperform a log manifold?? what tests show the obx manifold outperforms a revhard log?? i made 522whp on a revhard manifold. has anyone come close to that with an obx?? when you have to redesign a part you bought brand new something is wrong. sell it and get a used revhard manifold that you will never have to worry about ever!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBX manifold (MotorMatrix.com)

Ok, so lets say I want to buy a tubular manifold. I can either spend 300 on an OBX or 1200 on a Full Race. Is there another place that makes a good tubular manifold that works that dosent cost 1200 dollars? And yes I had considered Lovefab untill I read a post here saying he's not making them anymore. Even tried pm'ing him and have had no reply.

Quick Reply: OBX manifold