Notices

obd1 conversion help, no spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default obd1 conversion help, no spark

Ok, I've been searching my *** off, but I find so many conflicting threads im confused as ****.

I have,

98 obd2a chassis
98 obd2a engine wiring harness
obd2a to obd1 ecu conversion harness
chipped P28 ectune

new built motor, I did not put in the crank sensor on the oil pump.

I have NO spark, fuel and oil pressure ect everything is ok, but no spark.

currently using obd2a dizzy,

do I need to use an obd1 dizzy?

the only thing I can think of is that maybe the obd2 dizzy doesnt have a crank position sensor in it, so the ecu isnt sending spark to the dizzy, the dizzy IS getting power though, its just not firing.

the obd2 dizzy works fine, I was using it before the swap.

any idea's on why im not getting any spark??

are some conversion harness's wired so that it is expecting an obd1 dizzy?

any help is appreciated,

I have an obd1 dizzy I can use, but Id preffer not to hack up my wiring harness if I dont hafto.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: obd1 conversion help, no spark

something is wrong with the harness or the ecu. Have you checked the distributor? does the car run with the obd2 ecu?

you dont need to run an obd1 distributor... the whole point of the conversion harness is to run obd2 equipment on an obd1 ecu.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
something is wrong with the harness or the ecu. Have you checked the distributor? does the car run with the obd2 ecu?

you dont need to run an obd1 distributor... the whole point of the conversion harness is to run obd2 equipment on an obd1 ecu.
did you read my post at all?

the dizzy is fine,

and I cant run my obd2 ecu without the sensor in the crank
Old 07-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

just wanted to doucle check that you check it :p

the whole point of the conversion harness is that you plug in the obd1 ecu and go. Theres no modifying anything at all, anywhere... just plug in the harness to the car, then your ecu.. crank and go.

Something is wrong with the harness, either you got an obd2b harness, or its wired wrong.

or theres something wrong with the p28.. bad tune, bad chip, bad ecu...

its one of the two, or if your luck is like mine. its both
Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let me try re-phrasing my question.

OBD2 motors have crank sensors at the oil pump
OBD1 motors dont, they have a crank sensor in the dizzy

my question is,

do the OBD2 dizzies have the same crank sensor in them as the OBD1 dizzy's? or by removing my obd2 crank sensor at the oil pump, I now have no crank sensor,

so I need to use an obd1 dizzy because it has the crank sensor?

im not getting any ecu codes either, i dont think its the ecu or the conversion harness because ectune datalogs all the sensors just fine, and everything else is working fine
Old 07-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

it doesnt matter.
the conversion harness re-routes the signal from the crank sensor pin on the obd2 side to distributor signal input on the obd1 side.

If your car doesnt crank, or doesnt have spark.... like ive said 1020303 times... either the harness is wrong (wrong kind, wrong pinout) or the ecu is bad somehow.

I've run a conversion harness and a chipped p28 (i think everyone here has at some point)
its a plug and play on an obd2 car... no swapping **** required............. at all

plug in the conversion harness and teh ecu. crank and go. no distributor swapping, none of that ****.. or do I need to post this 10 more times?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think u need to remove any sensor I didn't and I used a chipped p28as well my first ecru was **** but my new one is great barrow a friends ecu and see if it works and put the crank sensor back and plug it n
Old 07-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
it doesnt matter.
the conversion harness re-routes the signal from the crank sensor pin on the obd2 side to distributor signal input on the obd1 side.

If your car doesnt crank, or doesnt have spark.... like ive said 1020303 times... either the harness is wrong (wrong kind, wrong pinout) or the ecu is bad somehow.

I've run a conversion harness and a chipped p28 (i think everyone here has at some point)
its a plug and play on an obd2 car... no swapping **** required............. at all

plug in the conversion harness and teh ecu. crank and go. no distributor swapping, none of that ****.. or do I need to post this 10 more times?
you havent listened to a single word ive said this entire thread, thank you for trying to help, but if you cant directly answer my question, then just stop posting.

no **** the conversion harness re-routes the signal from the crank sensor to the correct obd1 pin, but WHAT IF I DONT HAVE THE CRANK SENSOR??

thats what im ****ing asking, but youl probably reply saying the same thing again without even reading 2 words into my post

all I want to know is, does the god damn obd2 dizzy have the same crank sensors in it, as the obd1 dizzy's

putting back the crank sensor isnt an option, im using an obd1 oil pump, and the crank sensor doesnt fit.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The crank fluctuation sensor on OBD2 cars is "IN ADDITION" to all the sensors inside the distributor. Your OBD2 distributor is no different internally than an OBD1 distributor. Functionally the OBD2 and OBD1 distributors are identical.

Look elsewhere.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well that sounds like a lot of **** u shouls have research before u used an outdated oil pump seeing that Honda redesigned it for a reason and that it is more efficient. And yes I do believe they are the same.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

you should have added the oil pump thing in first. You said obd2, I assumed you had a completely functional obd2 car in the first place... you should add in things like that by default... setup helps..

Without the sensor on the crank, it wont run. nor can you splice the signals.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When u though random parts together it never works like u had planed so I guess pull it back out rip it back apart and do it right this time.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All I will say is that the Obd2 Dizzy will NOT work with an Obd1 setup. I will be clear about this. The Obd2 dizzy works in reffrence to the Crank Pos. sen. . . As opposed to the Obd1, all of this is built in. . So another words you will need an Obd1 Dizzy, And i Highly recommend " sence your using a **** jumper harness " TEST ALL DIZZY WIRES ! This is most crutial. All the improtant ones are straight links to the ECM. , " CKP , CYP , & TDC " Hope this helps a little. Hope you get some spark with a Obd1.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so 1 person says the dizzies arent the same, another person says they are the same,

this is exactly the kind of stuff I was getting while searching, does anyone have a 100% definitive answer?
Old 07-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Epichondagod
All I will say is that the Obd2 Dizzy will NOT work with an Obd1 setup. I will be clear about this. The Obd2 dizzy works in reffrence to the Crank Pos. sen. . . As opposed to the Obd1, all of this is built in. . So another words you will need an Obd1 Dizzy, And i Highly recommend " sence your using a **** jumper harness " TEST ALL DIZZY WIRES ! This is most crutial. All the improtant ones are straight links to the ECM. , " CKP , CYP , & TDC " Hope this helps a little. Hope you get some spark with a Obd1.
so your saying the obd2 dizzy wont fire without the signal from the crank sensor, but obd1 dizzies have that sensor built into the dizzy, so it will fire by itself,

this is what I am thinking as well
Old 07-12-2010, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes
Old 07-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Open up both distributors. You'll see that they are identical. I designed one of the 1st OBD2b to OBD1 ECU adpaters back in 1999. I struggled a bit with tach signal and immobilizer bypass wiring, but there was absolutely no issue with the distributor. How do you think the OBD2 JDM cars manage to run without the crank fluctuation sensor? They don't have one.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jaker
Open up both distributors. You'll see that they are identical. I designed one of the 1st OBD2b to OBD1 ECU adpaters back in 1999. I struggled a bit with tach signal and immobilizer bypass wiring, but there was absolutely no issue with the distributor. How do you think the OBD2 JDM cars manage to run without the crank fluctuation sensor? They don't have one.

So your saying me not having the crank sensor is not the cause of not having any spark? So the obd2 dizzy is the exact same as the obd1 dizzy?

I really wish everyone would give me the same answer, who is right?
Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Glove
So your saying me not having the crank sensor is not the cause of not having any spark? So the obd2 dizzy is the exact same as the obd1 dizzy?
That's exactly what I'm saying. I have taken OBD2 distributors, and changed the plugs to run them on my OBD1 setup before, and never had a problem. I've used the guts from OBD2 distributors, and swapped them into the housings for OBD1 distributors (D16Y7 guts into D16Z6 housing, B18B1 guts into B18C1 housing), and run them as OBD1 before. Never had a problem.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jaker
That's exactly what I'm saying. I have taken OBD2 distributors, and changed the plugs to run them on my OBD1 setup before, and never had a problem. I've used the guts from OBD2 distributors, and swapped them into the housings for OBD1 distributors (D16Y7 guts into D16Z6 housing, B18B1 guts into B18C1 housing), and run them as OBD1 before. Never had a problem.

so what the hell could my problem be then?

maybe its just the conversion harness, but I read all sensors just fine and get no engine codes, so most of it is working
Old 07-13-2010, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The ONLY other thing that it could possibly be is that Crank sensor is loomed in your harness to the conversion harness incorrectly. Being an Obd2 to Obd1 conversion it should eliminate the whole Crank sensor. So this is what i recommend to you. I hope you know how to work a volt meter. Ohm test your circuits such as from the crank sensor to the ECM , and dizzy leads to the ECM also. But i result back to my same statement. Obd1 dizzy should fix the issue. Have you tested any of the distributor pick ups? The CYP, CKP and TDC should all Ohm out around 380-450. Also the Coil should be checked. If you feel more interested in what im telling you ill dig out my books and look up what you will need to know. I can step by step tell you how to test your dizzy if you are doubting its reliability.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks epichondagod,

im thowing an obd1 dizzy on there tonight, see if that works.

I tested the ecu on another car and it worked fine,

so its either the dizzy or the conversion harness
Old 07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have both distributors. Why not pop open both of them to prove to yourself that they are identical?

My money's on the adapter harness.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just tried the obd1 dizzy and it worked, I have spark and the car
starts.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad you got it working. However, it's not because the OBD2 distributor was not compatible with the OBD1 ECU. Please don't think that was the problem.

Quick Reply: obd1 conversion help, no spark