Notices

Not really liking my AEM EMS - Anyone else have any wierd problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not really liking my AEM EMS - Anyone else have any wierd problems?

I have my civic running on the AEM EMS. It did 415fwhp at ... well... 14 or 16 psi... so I say 15.

Heres the issues... First of all... the AEM wideband appears to be pretty inaccurate in the logs and live read-out... its consistently at least half a point richer then the dynojet wideband which is ALSO in my downpipe... both widebands in the downpipe... so the dynojets stupid airpump **** is not a factor here. The dynojet wideband we have tested versus an FJO, the log readings were identical to within .1 through the range... so I trust the dynojet more than the AEM at this point... heres another reason why. Not only this, but the dynojet show more fluctation in the readings... where the AEM appears pretty limp in the logs, and makes the map look FAR flatter then the dynojet.

My Blitz SBC-iD boost controller is saying 2 psi higher then the AEM EMS using the AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor, and yes the AEM is calibrated for this map sensor.. thru the MAP sensor setup wizard. I would think that perhaps I might trust the AEM readings rather then the Blitz... but the blitz is also reading dead on with my Defi boost gauge.

Also... my dyno graph is pretty wavey... the power goes up and down with decent size fluctuations. Trying to figure out what this is... I do notice that my boost gauge is showing huge boost fluctuations while doing the run... i mean that needle is bouncing all over the place... could be a boost controller setup problem, or something else in the tune... but either way... the AEM EMS datalog just shows a DEAD FLAT boost curve... I mean my boost fluctuates like I said... but during a run say you just watch the gauge and kinda average out the bouncing with your eyes.. you can see the boost kinda spike up high... starts falling down for a second.. then picks back up again towards redline. The AEM just says FLAT.

Another big thing I am hating... this is happened to me twice now... I am driving the car down the road.. smooth pavement just ****** cruising... i start to put the peddle down to maintain speed... wait a second its not doing anything?? Tach is dead (ECU is off), fuel pressure is dead... but oil pressure is still there cause im in gear... he ****** ECU just tuned itself off... which means the fuel pump turns off too... I pull the car over and turn the key off than on... then the ECU just ****** flickers on and off rapidly... fuel pump priming repeatadly... then it just stops doing it a minute later. The thing I am really hating about this problem is the other time it happened... when I was in the middle of boosting hard when it decided to shut off and kill the fuel pump. Nice huge backfire and all.

Anyone else run into issues with the AEM EMS? Or am I the only one that says this thing is not very consistent?

Another
Old 05-07-2004, 10:20 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: Not really liking my AEM EMS - Anyone else have any wierd problems? (mister2racer)

it really sounds like u have a defect, if all AEM EMS users had this problem, aem would be screwed
Old 05-07-2004, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not really liking my AEM EMS - Anyone else have any wierd problems? (mister2racer)

I use the AEM EMS and I love it. I've never had any problems with mine.

Charles, I'm almost 100% sure that the EPROM is bad. We had this problem with my brother's EMS and it kept going offline, online, repeatedly, and the pump would flicker off and on. The car would sometimes just die out at cruising speeds. You will have to give AEM a call and have them overnight or two day air you a new EPROM. If you call their tech support, they will most likely want you to try this first. If that doesn't fix the problem, then they will want you to ship them the ECU. This should fix your problem. Good luck bro. By the way, we put the new EPROM in my brother's EMS and we never had any problems with it.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Not really liking my AEM EMS - Anyone else have any wierd problems? (TurboCX)

You shouldn't be having problems like this.

You know how I feel about the AEM Charlie BTW: Those 9 Heat Range Plugs do anything?
Old 05-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is definately not normal ems behavior - give aem a call like TCX said I love my ems
Old 05-07-2004, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not really liking my AEM EMS - Anyone else have any wierd problems? (Suprdave)

A few questions what version of software are you running in the ECU? Do you have the latest updates and files. Did you do any weird wiring to your car whihc would cause the wires or plugs to be messed up at the ECU to become disconnected. When you are logging the parameters are you using internal or extrenal logging? Which speeds are they set to? Also when you look at the logs in AEMLog do you have the sensors scaled correctly? Say if your O2 sensor was scaled for 0-50 the line would be damn straight as well as other things.

In the AFR did you set it up correctly or did you just wire it in and go. If you just choosed the sensor from the list there is stillmore setup you have to do to calibrate the sensor to your specific car.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Not really liking my AEM EMS - Anyone else have any wierd problems? (Rtype16)

definitely a bad ecu, my AEM EMS runs perfect, Sean from torquefreaks tuned it and I love it
Old 05-08-2004, 01:07 PM

Rtype16: I am running 1.03. The scaling is not correct in the logs.. but when using the cursor to look around the readings are all still more steady then they should be... but ill try scaling it better.

the o2 sensor was setup in the wizard, then martin from AMS, a friend I had initially setup the system for me since this is the first hardcore car i tried it in, he did some thing where he had me unplug the sensor and he was looking at something then i plugged it back in.. not sure if thats part of the calibration steps you speak of?

as for wiring... its pretty much stock causei ts an OBD1 motor in a OBD1 car... I only had to change the MAP plug, extend a sensor or 2, and then tap into some wires for the boost controller and power meter and the wideband.

thanks

anyone have any idea why I ended my last post with the word "ANother" ?!? wtf?
Old 05-08-2004, 01:22 PM

just curious... does sean from torquefreaks tune with boost comp or does he do it all in the base maps?
Old 05-08-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Re: (mister2racer)

boost comp
Old 05-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (diogo6)

make a post in the ems forum
Old 05-08-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (diogo6)

I had similar shitty problems with my first EMS, mainly dying randomly every now and then, going through coil drivers, and never having a working IAC valve. Got a new one and haven't had any issues since. I was tuned by Sean @ Torque Freaks with the new EMS and it runs like a dream, I highly recommend them
Old 05-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what version are you running?

I had a ton of issues when I was running version .94 on my old car that was stolen. I have not had any problem with the ems in my new car with the new version.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not really liking my AEM EMS - Anyone else have any wierd problems? (underpressure02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what version are you running?

I had a ton of issues when I was running version .94 on my old car that was stolen. I have not had any problem with the ems in my new car with the new version. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was also running .94 when I had all of the issues, since I put in a brand new EMS box and have been running 1.03 I have not had any issues.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:30 PM

my box is a little older, but it is updated to 1.03

to be honest... the last few days of driving it around we are so tired of all the bugs that we plan on puting in this hondata we got here tonight and trying it out. i just cant handle the inconsistancies... even if i did get a defective unit... i didnt pay money to get defection so im gonna use whatever works best... if i end up keeping the hondata in then i will send in the AEM or see what AEM wants to do to make it right then sell it. we'll see.

i dont hate the AEM, i mean i have used it without wierd problems before... but right now I am kinda pissed off at it and biased... since this hondata is here fuq it... might as well see how she handles this car.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:26 PM

Default Re: (mister2racer)

i spent 2 years trying to get my swap started on an ems bringing it from shop to shop after i couldn't do it myself rewired the entire car twice and eventually found out that the chip in mine was fried cost me thousands of dollars but i'l find out tuesday if it was worth it
Old 05-09-2004, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integra6650)

i also never had a problem with my aem. The guys on the aem ems board should be able to help. They always helped me out
Old 05-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integra6650)

All he has to do is call up AEM and have them ship him a new EPROM free of charge. Switching to another whole unit is ridiculous when he can get an EPROM sent to him overnight or two day for free and the problem is fixed. The car shutting off at cruising speeds and sometimes going offline, online, offline.....repeatedly, are problems that you get with a bad EPROM.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TurboCX)

sounds like a fried eeprom to me....
Old 05-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hated my ems went back too hondata
Old 05-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vaporboy12)

It sounds like everything is set up good to me. I would definately give AEM a call and see what they say. They are a great bunch of guys over there and will help you out. One big thing is there is a big forum for AEM, but people still use Honda-Tech to ask questions. Tons of users there and they always help each other out.