Notices

Not pulling as hard anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not pulling as hard anymore...

I know this is a very vague question that can have a million answers but I'm just taking a shot in the dark that maybe you guys have experienced the same thing. My car doesn't pull as hard as it used to; when I would hammer it in 2nd it would spin the tires before but now it no longer does. Acceleration in general just isn't as impressive as it was before, it seems like it's lacking that umph it had before.

I have been getting a code 43 which is fuel supply, which I suppose could explain things. However the code only comes on occasionally and only when I drive a steady speed for a while when the engine is still cold. Based on the information provided, can anyone formulate an educated hypothesis for me?

Setup: B18B, stock internals, 7psi, 440cc injectors, Hondata s200 (dynotuned).
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not pulling as hard anymore...

maybe your clutch is slipping?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

start with the basics. Make sure timing is good, plugs, compression... Or it could just be that the heat outside is making your tires grip better, and could also explain some power loss.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Coheed
start with the basics. Make sure timing is good, plugs, compression... Or it could just be that the heat outside is making your tires grip better, and could also explain some power loss.
x2 on the heat. How hot was it when you had your car tuned compared to how hot it is outside now?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 AM

x3 weather when it was tuned, vs current conditions play a roll...

x2 on checking plugs timing, and compression. Id even go further, and replace the plugs, do a leakdown and compression test, and change the oil while your at it.

Or, maybe your just simply use to that power now...happened to me...and happens to all of us, 300whp is only fast for so long, then we turn up the boost, etc
Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The car was tuned when it was hotter out than it is now. Right now it's only between 60-70 degrees in my area as opposed to when it's in the more summery months of the year. Although I did recently change my tires and now they're fully broken in, I could just be getting good traction now...

I changed the plugs but checking timing and doing a compression test is something I'll most definitely do soon just to rule that out as a possibility. What should timing be at? Isn't it always different between tunes?

I know I'm definitely getting used to the power so that could be a big part of it but I'm basing my judgement solely on the fact that I don't spin second anymore when I hammer it.

I used to be running just a mesh over my turbo but in fear of messing up my turbo, I bought a K&N cone, could that be restricting air flow enough to cause power loss? Yes the cone is clean.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do a leakdown

did you change tires?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check for boost leaks. Put it on a dyno and see if you make the same hp or close. How much power were you making before? 240ish whp?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been going through the same thing. Got my car tuned this spring made 400hp and 260tq and it just doesn't feel like it did at first. I have a hard time spinning tires now.

Its making target boost pressure, checked timing, compression is good, changed plugs etc.....

In for more suggestions
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

clogged fuel filter? dented up downpipe?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92redhatch
Check for boost leaks. Put it on a dyno and see if you make the same hp or close. How much power were you making before? 240ish whp?
I recently retightened and even re-placed all of my clamps and everything but it seems that one of the "cuplings" or whatever might be cracking because of friction with part of the engine bay. Although from what I saw it hadn't gone all the way through so I don't think there's a boost leak going on there. However, my BOV seems to have a small crack in it and might not be working to full potential, could I be loosing boost through the BOV? I still make full boost according to the gauge and there is no fluttering but you never know...
Old 09-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=92redhatch;39971601]Check for boost leaks. [QUOTE]

gotta pressure test the system
Old 09-15-2009, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your valve clearances. and if your ecu code has to do with fuel, check the fuel filter, pump and injectors although your injectors are probably new.

If it was a boost leak it would have to be one big enough for you to not make full boost or your WG opening up.

what kind of tires did you come from and what kind of tires do you have now, could very well be your just use to it and you got new tires
Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Not to discredit any of the suggestions that have been posted above, but all things here being equal and assuming that all checks and repairs have been properly performed, could it be that you're now just USED TO DRIVING THE CAR? I've had plenty of clients come to me several weeks after a new setup was put on the car, and they just don't have that "smile" on their face everyday, because their body became accustomed to the amount of power and torque that was created from the new setup, and there's no comparison to draw off of any longer.

I would check and check and check the car, until I was blue in the face, only to find out that everything was functioning normally, and that the driver was just ready for an upgrade, or was used to the car.

The code 43 is a concern, so all other things being equal, its best to start with that area first.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by big-cat
check your valve clearances. and if your ecu code has to do with fuel, check the fuel filter, pump and injectors although your injectors are probably new.

If it was a boost leak it would have to be one big enough for you to not make full boost or your WG opening up.

what kind of tires did you come from and what kind of tires do you have now, could very well be your just use to it and you got new tires
I agree about the boost leak, it would definitely show signs of it and I have none. Boost spools up beautifully, no fluttering, nothing. My BOV however might not be working up to par, I'm gonna have that checked soon cause I think I'm hearing compressor surge.

As for Code 43, fuel pump is a Walboro 255 and the injectors are RC 440cc so I doubt they're the issue. COULD be fuel filter but it would act up consistently whereas I only get sputtering when the engine is cold and only at very light throttle and low RPM. O2 sensor is always possible though, however I was told that wouldn't account for the performance loss.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

put it back on the dyno tos ee what it makes
Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM

Hello.. You still haven't answered a previous question about which tires did you have and what you have on now. Could be heavier or more stickier, or even bigger.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have u checked the intake mani gasket? if u used a local parts store gasket or even a honda gasket that could be the problem. also id just run a screen on the turbo again. if the car sits at idol and makes a kinda almost back fire poppy noise it is because of a vaccum leak. throw it on the dyno after checking everything. you could have lost compression for sure. but id check the intake mani gasket, the throttle body gasket, the couplers, and do a compression test as well as change the spark plugs, with the same ones u tuned the car on. also you need to make sure the quality of the gas u tuned on is controled, for example i tuned my stock ls turbo on 93 octane gas from a bp gas station so i dont get gas from anywhere else due to varrying ethonol levels and the fact that bp gas has injector cleaner in it. as for the intake mani gasket hondata makes the best you can get. also make sure that the injectors arent leaking and they are snug in the ports that go into the intake. the exhuast mani could also be leaking which is sometimes over looked. are you sure the manifold isnt cracked?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mephology
Hello.. You still haven't answered a previous question about which tires did you have and what you have on now. Could be heavier or more stickier, or even bigger.
x2 lol what size brand and rating were they and what are they now? Sorry did you say your power level? I think you did.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The tires are 205-40-17 and before they were Falkens and now they're Generals. I'm pretty sure I was still peeling them even after the change initially, it's only more recently that I'm not peeling them as much anymore.

The exhaust manifold being cracked or having bad gaskets is a possibility however generally you would hear if it was leaking which I don't hear anything abnormal. When I have more money I'll bring it to the dyno and things will most likely be obvious at that point.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dubs13
The tires are 205-40-17 and before they were Falkens and now they're Generals. I'm pretty sure I was still peeling them even after the change initially, it's only more recently that I'm not peeling them as much anymore.

The exhaust manifold being cracked or having bad gaskets is a possibility however generally you would hear if it was leaking which I don't hear anything abnormal. When I have more money I'll bring it to the dyno and things will most likely be obvious at that point.
So you suspect there is a leak pre-turbo?

Man, I'm in the same page as you. Got my car tuned 2 weeks ago, wow'd me when I drove out the workshop. A week later till now, I don't have a full smile on my face. The turbo is still pushing 13psi as it tuned for (measure from the IM so my bov isn't leaking or my ex manifold isn't cracked). I suspected that it was running a bit richer than the day it was tuned for, i hit 450KM/tank on the first week I got the car back but now i'm only hitting 350KM/tank. Being the first week is always on WOT when you can.

I could of lost a bit of power from running rich or it's just my body already used to it. Getting it retuned next week for more
Old 09-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No I think you are just use to it. when its cold, feel around on the manifold when its cold and underneath and what not. but yea 7psi on a stock b18b with your setup sounds like New tires could have done it and your just use to the power. 270whp is starting to feel slow to me and I just got it about 2weeks ago.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Fair enough... Cause I mean I still seem to be beating the cars I should be beating so I can't be losing that much power. It's probably just better tires that are worn in now, no more new baby rubber which is easy to burn. Oh well, I'll see if I decide to invest more or just live with being fast but not feeling fast, lol.