Notices

DRAG Turbo Kit Turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRAG Turbo Kit Turbo upgrade

I would like to upgrade the turbo on my DRAG turbo kit but still retain everything else. What other turbos would allow me to do this?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DRAG Turbo Kit Turbo upgrade

2 problems.

wastegate placement, and down pipe.

when you upgrade, and need a larger down pipe, the poor wastegate placement will be exploited.

sorry i cant answer your question specifically, but i faced the same thought you are thinking also.

oh hell forgot the intercooler.
it isnt much better. and only good for the turbo they come with.

so my solution? i got a full race pro street kit.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am leaning toward a complete new kit but don't want to spend that kind of money yet. It has lasted me 5 years now and if I could get a few more that would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2009, 12:05 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

There are some that I know that still have upgraded the parts needed and have retained the drag kit that they've had since 1999. It's not the best thing in the world, but it can be done.

for the drag kit, you can upgrade the turbocharger to any T3/T4 or even the GT-R series, but you MUST make sure that the turbine housing of the new turbocharger is a 5 bolt FORD style bolt pattern (there are 2 main "5 bolts". One is mercedes, the other is Ford from the SVO. You want the Ford bolt pattern). This will match your downpipe, though I would cut the flange and create another downpipe out of that flange or another 5 bolt weld flange. You can even purchase a 5 bolt-to-3" v-band adapter if you want a v-band for your downpipe. Be careful, after a certain size, the 5 bolt flanged housing is a bit restrictive, but the worst part is that they are a pain in the *** to install and uninstall turbos. That 5th bolt likes to run away.

The intercooler from the Drag kit was really the best thing on the kit, as it could hold over 400whp and was very durable and reliable. But if it has suffered some serious abuse, I'd look to upgrading at least a better Mishimoto, or something along those lines

Port the wastegate hole on the drag manifold. that will help with the creep issues that you will have experienced, but it won't completely eliminate the issue because the wastegate hole is poorly located.

Change your feed and return lines to better quality materials. there are so many that use the cheap older rotted lines from their old drag kit, and then wonder why they're destroying brand new turbochargers.

I know you're not ready to spend the money on a new kit, but in some cases, you would do just about the same replacing the older cheaper parts of the Drag Kit, with newer, more reliable components. What I've listed is simply a suggested approach as to what to change. Peakboost, Spoolin' performance, and AFI are other, more affordable quality kits that are available other than Full-Race

GL