Notices

northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!!

Carb conn is pissing me off with there crappy tuning, and i need to find a better place to go before i add boost(breaking in right now NA)

I am willing to drive to OR if there is a good place there. I want to make 400hp and know that tuning is key for any kind of reliablity. thanks guys merry christmas
Old 12-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!! (Benjithx)

ya i had my car tuned there at carb con...it was ok but thats all it was...there nice guys but i think my car could have been tuned better...what about Intec racing in Kent anyone been there?
Old 12-24-2004, 02:31 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!! (B20luda)

Try GroundZero Motorsports.. I've had cars SHIPPED from the midwest to be built, and tuned there.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:38 PM
Trial User

Default Re: northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!! (TheShodan)

I've also read good things about Torque Freaks in Portland, any thoughts?

And I don't like Carb Conn because thay leaned out my first (build blew up piston and sleeves) and convinced me it was a bad motor to start. So then i spent a bunch of money and built it stong. they told me not to let it warm up without a valve adjust and that it was a big deal so when i got my engine together i towed it down there for a break-in tune and a valve adjust. When i got there the guy told me he didn't want to get his hands dirty so we can do the valve adjust after i broke in the motor . So he put a new program on the hondata and told me he set the injector size to 400's instead of 440's (whats installed) because it ran better that way. So here i am 800 miles into my break in and i am getting 18-19 miles to the gallon and my idle is a little fucked. and this is of course without boost making probably 120whp

If these guys can't tune a NA b16 with a little bigger bore and lower compression to run right without boost then how can i trust they will be able to deliver when i install my RC650's and pipe up the turbo. **** these guys
Old 12-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Trial User

So i think i am going to groundzero motorspotrs in portland.

oh and one more thing about Carb Conn, They sold me an oem HG that i didn't end up needing, so i told them i wanted to return it because i hadn't opened it. The guy said no problem and that he would trade it for a Hondata IM gasket because they had one down there. So i said what the hell, i'll do it. So i swing down there after work to trade in the HG and the guy ends up charging me 15$ for shipping on the IM gasket. I couldn't belive it. These guys do half *** work for as money as they can bleed from you. I will probably bump this a few times for the boys in the NW looking for a tuner
Old 12-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bring it to courtney green in salt lake he will do u wonders THE BEST TUNER IN WEST COAST
Old 12-25-2004, 06:43 PM
Trial User

Default Re: northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!! (buck02)

bump for the northwest tuners
Old 12-28-2004, 11:56 AM

Ben, we are sorry to hear you are upset with your car. We felt it ran nice when it left the facility. even stayed late.
Please allow some clarification:
1, the original engine failed from lack of oil and excess fuel before any tuning took place. We added three quarts to bring it to level. Apparantly the car was driven under boost this way for over a 1000 miles before it came to us. The secondary injector system was so rich under boost black smoke poured out the back and would not register on the wideband.
2. After rebuild we put a conservative tune in the timing and fueling tables for <U>break-in</U> purposes. Emphasis was on reliability. Efficiency was to follow when boost is to be applied at the final calibration session.
It was explained the car might exhibit lower power and subpar mpg. We believed this was understood and exceptable untill the final tune.

CarbConn is an factory authorized Motec, AEM, Wolf, Hondata tuning facility and prides itself on integrity and quality. As such, if interested, we would be happy to complete the tune at no hourly labor charge.

I hope this puts things into perspective.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!! (rpmtuner)

Torque freeks !! (i live in OR, and hear nothing but good about them)
Old 12-28-2004, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!! (TheShodan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheShodan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try GroundZero Motorsports.. I've had cars SHIPPED from the midwest to be built, and tuned there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Either GroundZero or TorqueFreaks would be my first choice. Both are awesome shops
Old 12-28-2004, 02:03 PM

you aren't the only ones, carb connection blew up mine to, plus 2 of my mr2 buddies.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!! (96-EJ6 B18C)

I rode in a car that left carb con with 32 degrees advance under boost on pump gas.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Trial User

Default Re: northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!! (Wideopentuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rpmtuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ben, we are sorry to hear you are upset with your car. We felt it ran nice when it left the facility. even stayed late.
Please allow some clarification:
1, the original engine failed from lack of oil and excess fuel before any tuning took place. We added three quarts to bring it to level. Apparantly the car was driven under boost this way for over a 1000 miles before it came to us. The secondary injector system was so rich under boost black smoke poured out the back and would not register on the wideband.
2. After rebuild we put a conservative tune in the timing and fueling tables for <U>break-in</U> purposes. Emphasis was on reliability. Efficiency was to follow when boost is to be applied at the final calibration session.
It was explained the car might exhibit lower power and subpar mpg. We believed this was understood and exceptable untill the final tune.

CarbConn is an factory authorized Motec, AEM, Wolf, Hondata tuning facility and prides itself on integrity and quality. As such, if interested, we would be happy to complete the tune at no hourly labor charge.

I hope this puts things into perspective. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You know you told me that the engine popped because it was to rich the first time and that it was washing the rings down. Then you put a tune on the rebuild and it is richer than when it blew up.

I am not trying to badmouth anyone here, I just now everyone on this site has helped me out time and time again and i, like everyone else here, is always trying to protect there investment.

So if i see a problem or catch any resistance along the way as i build my car I am going to let the Honda-tech boys know about it

I have been talking to Crescent At C-speed to help me out.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Trial User

little bump to inform Seattle
Old 12-29-2004, 08:45 PM

TorqueFreaks is mainly a AEM tuner and S/V AFC tuner, not sure if they do Hondata or not. Groundzero I know is a big Hondata tuner and they have some high HP civic's running around Portland. I would probably hit them up for a Hondata tune.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Trial User

Default Re: northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!! (Taikonaut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Taikonaut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TorqueFreaks is mainly a AEM tuner and S/V AFC tuner, not sure if they do Hondata or not. Groundzero I know is a big Hondata tuner and they have some high HP civic's running around Portland. I would probably hit them up for a Hondata tune.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good to know
Old 12-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try intec racing at http://www.intecracing.com talk to Matt or Lawrence tell them that Stefan sent you and they will take car of you.

they have inhouse dyno and all the setup to properlly tune your car. 98ctr
Old 12-30-2004, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (98ctr)

I know the guys at Torquefreaks and I have rented their dyno a few times to tune my car. While I was there I have seen them tune Hondata with no problems. They tune very very conservative though.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (BodyKits NW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rpmtuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I hope this puts things into perspective. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So tonight, when i changed my oil, It wouldn't start because it was so god awful rich it was fouling out the plugs(Thanks CARB CONN.) I had to throw in a different set that weren't drenched in gas. While they were out i poked a flashlight down the hole and could see tons of guncky **** sitting on my piston. conservative or just plain wrong?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Benjithx)

My car ran for 2 months on a Carb Conn tune before my comp numbers on 3 pistons dropped below 100 on a b16a2 motor.

This on a setup that included Hondata 200b, RC550's, Walbro255, and a Revhard Stage 2 kit. Motor never overboosted, never overheated.

I asked the guys at Carb Conn to tell me what they thought went wrong (giving them a chance to make things right) but all they came up with was "sometimes there's just a flaw in some of these motors".

That was the last time those guys ever touch my car.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:33 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (rhettster)

The guy down there and i went for a little drive around the block after he got done with the break-in tune, and he said that "he has had two other Civic Si's blow up on him sence mine."

.....nice

Old 12-31-2004, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have tuned plenty of cars myself at IntecRacing on their dyno, including my car. You never tune the car to run rich or too lean. You tune the car to run stoich especially when you are brakeing in a motor.

Running the car to rich will wash the rings and therefore will get premature weare in the cyl walls.

I can tell you that out all the car I have tuned, they all been running with no problems. Includind my car, daly driven 400 whp honda civic.

so they should not say "conservative tune in the timing and fueling tables for break-in purposes" it should be more like properlly tune the vehicle for brake in period. 98ctr
Old 12-31-2004, 08:58 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (98ctr)

you tune Hondata?
Old 12-31-2004, 08:59 AM
Trial User

whats your setup?
Old 12-31-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Benjithx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats your setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

we tune Apex-i Power Fc, Hondata, Greddy E-Manage etc...

my set up includes:

b18c1 stock sleaves 81.5mm bore/hone
wiseco pistons 9.5 cr
eagle H beem rods
balanced assemblies
type r valve springs
Portflow ti retainers
ctr cams
mprd turbo manifold
greddy t3/t4 -61 turbo
Tial 38mm wg
blitz blow off valve
fmic (ebay)
2.5" charge piping
2.5" down pipe
3" exhaust
3" magnaflow muffler
Apex-i Power Fc ecu
550 cc RC injectors
225lph fuel pump
dyno at 400 whp and 275 wtq @ 15 psi boost
1/4 mile time 11.625sec @ 125 mph

Quick Reply: northwest hondata tuners???? CARB CONNECTION SUCKS!!!!