Notices

is this a normal problem when using the hack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a normal problem when using the hack?

if i start the engine cold, it will start up fine but if i drive it around then shut the engine down for like 15mins or longer and then try to start it up again, it starts up but kinda choking and as if it want to stall then it will fire right up.

one time i went to the dealership to pick up some parts and i only shut it down for like 20mins, when i came back i tried starting it but it won't start. it cranks strongly but won't start. i tried to start it thrice and the 4th time i step on the gas pedal and it started right up.

if i shut the engine down longer like 2-3hrs and then try to start it, it cranks healthy and starts right away with no problem.

is this a normal problem of using the hack? is it coz i'm running rich or is it lean? any explanation to this?

by the way, my 1k rpm is set to -44%
Old 06-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (_Endless_)

yeah, it's normal. same thing happened w/ me and many other people. I usually gave it tons of gas while cranking, and it started up pretty well ... most of the time.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:04 PM

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (Daniel)

I've been running the hack for 6 months now and have never had that problem. Matter of fact I've never had any problem starting the car ever.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:06 PM

I would say you are running rich by the sounds of it, but at -44 it souldn't be rich. Why don't you try setting it richer and see what happens?
Old 06-06-2003, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (Trial User)

My car does that and i am tuned with Hondata. it starts up fine in the morning after two hours of sitting. etc... If i get in after letting it sit for like 20 mins. it will start up but the idles drop really low and have a bad idle. Sometimes it will turn off.

Man me and you Endless. Always having the same problems...
Old 06-06-2003, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (95c1v1cs1)

mine does it.....with the hack.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (95c1v1cs1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95c1v1cs1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My car does that and i am tuned with Hondata. it starts up fine in the morning after two hours of sitting. etc... If i get in after letting it sit for like 20 mins. it will start up but the idles drop really low and have a bad idle. Sometimes it will turn off.

Man me and you Endless. Always having the same problems... </TD></TR></TABLE>

the only difference between us is that you're using hondata and i'm using the hack. this is really frustrating.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:10 AM

Mine starts like stock but my mates Del Sol DOHC has the same problem...
Old 06-07-2003, 02:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (swlabhot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swlabhot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine starts like stock but my mates Del Sol DOHC has the same problem...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've not yet had to deal with this as my SMC+ ins't even ordered and my 450's are sitting on my desk. But I hope I'm one of the ones that it just doesn't happen to. Hopefully someone can figure this one out cause it would help a lot of people. I've heard some folks trying to blame DSMs VS. RC injectors and Hondata VS. the VAFC/SMC Hack. More and more this is being disproven. Let's all think about this one.
Old 06-07-2003, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (FFgeokstar)

my dsm did it alot but now i have viren's injectors no problems they are 440cc....
Old 06-07-2003, 07:30 AM

everytime you start your car turn it to on to prime your pump and let your afc boot. when cold just crank. if it has been sitting cooling down do the same thing, but while you turn it over step on the gas slightly and it will crank right up. no problems once you get the hang of it. plus, you have the extra benefit if some one is trying to steal your car after you have driven it they will probably just flood it and give up.

since i figured this out i have no probs starting mine. btw i have mine set at -47 @ 1k. no need to have much fuel at that level anyway. i also readjusted my throttle cable (never been tensioned 65k miles) and my idle after doing the hack and never a problem with the typical "hack" idle surging etc.

good luck.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:48 AM

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (scttydb411)

i had mine that leaned before(-44) and it kept stalling at lights and stuff. then i changed it to -36 and it never stalls or anything but the idle is around 1000 but i like that better than stalling at every light.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:26 AM
New User

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (hooked_up_gsr)

I had the same problem. I have a 255lph pump and I was leaned 50% at 1k. I got a adjustable FPR and turned fuel down to 37-39psi and it starts everytime no problems. I also think it is duty cycle of the injectors when trimmed that much. so lower presure to what I have mine and set the injectors to like-35 to -40 and you will have no problems. also make sure you let the fuel pump prime before you try to get it to turn over
Old 06-07-2003, 11:33 AM

i still have my stock fuel pump. i'm suprised that with larger pump you guys still don't trim that much. when i had mine set in the 30's i was running so rich at idle i stalled and had to run the car so that it didn't leave fuel in the cylinders and flood/foul my plugs.

maybe it's because i'm running a smaller turbo and not a t3/t4. my a/f is bang on in the 11's.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (eg6turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my dsm did it alot but now i have viren's injectors no problems they are 440cc....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did the same thing, except i went with saturated 550's from viren. Solved a lot of my problems, including idling, a lot less "put-put" noises
-Mike
Old 06-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (hooked_up_gsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hooked_up_gsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had mine that leaned before(-44) and it kept stalling at lights and stuff. then i changed it to -36 and it never stalls or anything but the idle is around 1000 but i like that better than stalling at every light.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same issue with me, though I'm at about -25% trim at lo-throttle below 1000rpm. The problem is that; YES, the injectors put out X amount more fuel than your stock injectors at HIGH duty-cycle, but they only put out a fraction of that at low duty-cycle, since most of the time is spent opening and closing, not being fully opened as it is at WOT, let's say. SO, you have to lean it out LESS at low duty-cycle, ie. idle.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:33 PM
New User

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (ion_four)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ion_four &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Same issue with me, though I'm at about -25% trim at lo-throttle below 1000rpm. The problem is that; YES, the injectors put out X amount more fuel than your stock injectors at HIGH duty-cycle, but they only put out a fraction of that at low duty-cycle, since most of the time is spent opening and closing, not being fully opened as it is at WOT, let's say. SO, you have to lean it out LESS at low duty-cycle, ie. idle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that makes a lilttle more sense then. i was wondering how ppl could run only -25% at 1k and not have any problem flooding thier engine... so at idle -25% is okay ??? it doesnt have any problem burning the fuel?
Old 06-16-2003, 09:03 AM
New User

Default Re: is this a normal problem when using the hack? (Civtek)

^^^
Old 06-16-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine set to about -25% at idle, never has any problems starting whatsoever. Crank for a split second and it fires right up. Idles smooth.
obd0.