Notices

noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16.

i've tried searching and looked at some of the sticky threads at the top of the FI section, but there's just way too many links to go through them all or i'm not finding the exact answers to my questions.

basically i've been an all motor guy my whole life (3 Hondas), but i've decided to go with boost this time around. let me tell you what i'm working with, my whp goal, and the list of questions that i have.

i have a del Sol with a b16 motor and b16 tranny. the motor has about 100,xxx miles on it and it is my daily driver. <u>i'm aiming for the neighborhood of 250-300whp.</u>

questions:

1) my main priority is reliability. i know it's been said countless of times that the key to reliable boost performance is fuel management, tuning, and not being retarded while driving it around all the time. assuming i'm good with all that, with all that mileage (100,xxx) on the motor is it a good option to go boost if i'm worried about dependability?

2) i know that smaller turbos spool up faster thus decreasing turbo lag, but should i go with a larger turbo on less boost or a smaller turbo on more boost to decrease the wear it will make on the engine (considering my whp goal)?

3) what's a good size turbo to go with to achieve my whp goal (having dependability being a main priority) and at what psi?

4) can a turbo kit made for a SOHC be used for a DOHC by simply replacing the exhaust manifold (assuming it's the same chassis, just different motor)?

5) i think everyone agrees that the ram horn style exhaust manifold is the best for performance, but are there any log style or anything else that you all would recommend that isn't prone to cracking, good for performance, and affordable?

6) will having a b16 tranny and it's shorter gear ratios adversely affect the performance of a turbo setup?

ok i think that's all i got for now. i appreciate any feedback you guys can give me on these questions as well as any advice you wanna shoot my way. thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (SOL Food)

1) Reliability may not be as "worthwhile" with the B16. As they stand, some are hitting the 300 whp mark everyday on a stock block, while other blow up in the 250whp range on a dyno. They have thin walls, so sleeving may be something to look into.
2) Rather than getting an oversized or undersized turbo, go with the one that is right for you, but at the same time will provide some more room to grow if you want more than your desired WHP goal.
3) FI gurus should probably correct me on this one, but a T3 around 11-14 PSI should put you into the 300whp range
4) Yes, the manifold just has to match whichever head
5) Like you listed, look manifolds cover cheap and reliable, but usually don't flow as much as a ramhorm.
6) The B16 gearing can go either way. One will say it gets your into the higher RPM's quicker to spool the turbo, but when shitfing it quickly falls out of powerband or vtec
Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (DA_HONDA_BOY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA_HONDA_BOY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

10 to 15psi TUNED 250-350WHP stock but it's all in the TUNE

put some gsr or itr cam in it to help a little more</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by awdgsx96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3) FI gurus should probably correct me on this one, but a T3 around 11-14 PSI should put you into the 300whp range
</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow 10-15psi? correct me if i'm wrong, but i could have sworn some turbo guys are hitting high 200whp at around just 8psi? isn't anything over 10 psi for daily driving a recipe for disaster when it comes to having a turbo Honda?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by awdgsx96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1) Reliability may not be as "worthwhile" with the B16. As they stand, some are hitting the 300 whp mark everyday on a stock block, while other blow up in the 250whp range on a dyno. They have thin walls, so sleeving may be something to look into.
2) Rather than getting an oversized or undersized turbo, go with the one that is right for you, but at the same time will provide some more room to grow if you want more than your desired WHP goal.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

sleeving is definitely out of the question at the moment because that's just going to cost too much and if i could afford that i'd be doing a monster b20V build.

and i'm not looking for anything over 300whp. to be honest the reason i listed those numbers was because i thought i could achieve that at 10psi tops with the right sized turbo. if that's not the case i'm definitely going to lower the whp goal to something i can achieve with more moderate boost.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOL Food &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow 10-15psi? correct me if i'm wrong, but i could have sworn some turbo guys are hitting high 200whp at around just 8psi? isn't anything over 10 psi for daily driving a recipe for disaster when it comes to having a turbo Honda?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

They may have, but with a bigger motor, cams, bigger turbo etc. Again, you can't look at PSI for the build or where the engine goes at, it's the amount of power. X psi on a T25 isn't the same as X psi on a GT30
Old 12-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (awdgsx96)

1 its all in the tune, if you have a healthy motor (compression, leakdown, no problems) then you have a good platform to boost on, just make sure you get a good management system (hondata, aem ems) and get a good dyno tune, this is where the money should be spent.

2 it all depends on what you want, its cool to feel that big surge of power when you have a late spooling turbo, plus the gas mileage is better cuz ur not boosting all the time, on the other hand, a quick spooler will be quicker to get going when you want, and you wont have to get the rpms up every time to want to speed up.

3 not sure about turbo choices for you but Im running a t3 t04b .63ar 57trim garret on ls motor 10 psi, I think it would be to big for a b16 but something similar I think would be good. your gonna need about 11-15 psi for your goals

4 yes

5 mini ram

6 no

Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (awdgsx96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by awdgsx96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They may have, but with a bigger motor, cams, bigger turbo etc. Again, you can't look at PSI for the build or where the engine goes at, it's the amount of power. X psi on a T25 isn't the same as X psi on a GT30</TD></TR></TABLE>

from what i read it was also a b16, but you're right...i didn't take into account what kind of cams or what size turbo they were running. all i know was that it was a stock block b16.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teg racer 877 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

2 it all depends on what you want, its cool to feel that big surge of power when you have a late spooling turbo, plus the gas mileage is better cuz ur not boosting all the time, on the other hand, a quick spooler will be quicker to get going when you want, and you wont have to get the rpms up every time to want to speed up.

3 not sure about turbo choices for you but Im running a t3 t04b .63ar 57trim garret on ls motor 10 psi, I think it would be to big for a b16 but something similar I think would be good. your gonna need about 11-15 psi for your goals

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't care either way just as long as it's the option that puts the least amount of stress on the motor. if i have to put up with a bit of lag just to get the peace of mind that it's not stressing my motor as much then that's what i'll do. like i said, my main priority is daily driveability. which do you think puts less strain on the motor?

how much whp are you putting down and is it your daily? how long have you been boosting your Teg for?
Old 12-04-2007, 11:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA_HONDA_BOY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">buy a fullrace stage 2-gt or non-gt turbo kit it'll be killer for you

full-race.com

if you have the $ for it </TD></TR></TABLE>

there's no way i can afford any of their kits.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOL Food &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

from what i read it was also a b16, but you're right...i didn't take into account what kind of cams or what size turbo they were running. all i know was that it was a stock block b16.

i don't care either way just as long as it's the option that puts the least amount of stress on the motor. if i have to put up with a bit of lag just to get the peace of mind that it's not stressing my motor as much then that's what i'll do. like i said, my main priority is daily driveability. which do you think puts less strain on the motor?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have to think about the stress thing, though. A small, or properly sized turbo will spool I guess you can say in a "linear" fashion which wouldn't stress the engine as much. On the other hand, a bigger turbo goes from vacuum to a giant load of PSI all at once, and that may stress the internals. Take a look at some efficiency maps for turbos and find their islands, I would help but I'm still figuring some stuff out
Old 12-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think anyone has mentioned this yet.

compression and leak down test before you put on the turbo to make sure the motor is healthy
Old 12-04-2007, 12:57 PM

i'd be down to spend about 2 grand total for everything.

what do you guys think about the kit this guy's selling?

http://www.hondamarketplace.co...58453

all i'd have to get is a new exhaust manifold, the fuel management, a tune, and i'd be good to go, right?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOL Food &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd be down to spend about 2 grand total for everything.

what do you guys think about the kit this guy's selling?

http://www.hondamarketplace.co...58453

all i'd have to get is a new exhaust manifold, the fuel management, a tune, and i'd be good to go, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

changing the manfiold wont make it fit. downpipe is still gonna be diff

heres my suggestion. Log manifold, 50 trim, 10 psi = 275ish WHP depending on the tuner. drive it everyday and dont worry about a thing. also dont waste your money on hondata. crome is free with the tune (assuming you go to a crome tuner)

you can easily piece a decent kit together for those goals for 2 grand.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (CoreyR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

changing the manfiold wont make it fit. downpipe is still gonna be diff

heres my suggestion. Log manifold, 50 trim, 10 psi = 275ish WHP depending on the tuner. drive it everyday and dont worry about a thing. also dont waste your money on hondata. crome is free with the tune (assuming you go to a crome tuner)

you can easily piece a decent kit together for those goals for 2 grand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ah, thanks for the advice Corey. i'll definitel think about piecing it all together then.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its really easy to piece a kit together. used parts are abundant. feel free to PM me if you need any no bullshit answers. its hard to get the right info with people like honda boy over there spreading bad info.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA_HONDA_BOY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

don't care about you

a </TD></TR></TABLE>

great so stop posting.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (CoreyR)

how much whp are you putting down and is it your daily? how long have you been boosting your Teg for?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

the factor that deals with stress on the motor is how you drive the car, if your boosting all the freakin time ur gonna stress it, the turbo choice doesnt really matter. remember, turbo hondas are like a comletely stock car under like 4000rpm (depends when turbo spools) you can drive it all day and never boost it.

as for my car, its making 248whp, 208tq, 10 psi 100% stock ls with 90,000 miles on it. been boosted for like 2 years now, ZERO problems, aprox 25,000 miles.

but remember, my total spent was almost $4000, i did it right, used good management (hondata s200), and got a good tune.

my philosphy with cars is, if your not willing to pay for the correct way to do it, dont do it at all.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (teg racer 877)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teg racer 877 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the factor that deals with stress on the motor is how you drive the car, if your boosting all the freakin time ur gonna stress it, the turbo choice doesnt really matter. remember, turbo hondas are like a comletely stock car under like 4000rpm (depends when turbo spools) you can drive it all day and never boost it.

as for my car, its making 248whp, 208tq, 10 psi 100% stock ls with 90,000 miles on it. been boosted for like 2 years now, ZERO problems, aprox 25,000 miles.

but remember, my total spent was almost $4000, i did it right, used good management (hondata s200), and got a good tune.

my philosphy with cars is, if your not willing to pay for the correct way to do it, dont do it at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good info, thanks. why'd you spend 4 grand though? what exactly was so expensive?
Old 12-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it all depends on what you buy. I wanted to spend about 3k to start with but now I will probably spend over 5k. IF you stay away from the bells and whistles like electronic boost controllers, an LSD, expensive engine management systems and that kind of stuff you can do it for pretty cheap.

Also don't forget a full tune can be pretty expensive as well, so factor that in. And install it yourself to save $$$ as well.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 99 civic si boosted at 10 pounds with a great tune and made 315whp and 215 torqe.i could of made alot more but i have a conservative tune and i wanted it to be reliable.from what i see i think you are in california there should defintally be real good tuners out there but as far as 2,000 dollars i would save up and get all good quality parts because ive seen freinds of mine by cheap **** and there manifolds break-turbo bearings go and anything else is possible.i went with full race everything and it is really expensive but worth the money totally but if u wann go cheaper just try to peice togeather good parts like i know neukin makes really good manifolds and there decentally priced and i think they have packages for like a blow off-manifold and down pipe but its been awile since ive been lookin at these sites because i have no need for this stuff any more but i recomend going to yahoo.com and type in evanstuning.com and check out his site he tuned my car and helped me and alot of people i know with setting up there car with good setups or just message me and i can help you through some stuff good luck man
Old 12-05-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (justdoggedya)

i turbo'd my b16 crx with a cheap ebay setup and that was the worst mistake anyone could make. so now i have to piece everything together. so i would recommend doing it right the first time!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (boosted_rex_bloNby)

good info, thanks. why'd you spend 4 grand though? what exactly was so expensive?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok lets see if I can remember the expensive stuff....

1 crp ramhorm manifold $550
2 hondata s200 $450
3 garrett turbo $450
4 custom made 3" exhaust with muffler about $250
5 tuning $300

Thats $2000 right there and thats like 1/3 of the parts I got, you get the idea.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (teg racer 877)

ah, gotcha.

let me ask you guys a question. do you guys think a t3/t4 63 trim (70 A/R) is too big for the whp goal i'm trying to reach?
Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 AM

not too big for the whp you are trying to reach but too big for the drivability you are gonna want.

you should probably stick with a 0.48 turbine housing ( the hot side )
Old 12-07-2007, 11:35 AM

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (agrn93ls)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by agrn93ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not too big for the whp you are trying to reach but too big for the drivability you are gonna want.

you should probably stick with a 0.48 turbine housing ( the hot side )</TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't quite understand this...can you or anyone else explain this to me?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:43 AM

the turbine a/r is going to affect when you hit full spool and how much backpressure/flow. so you have to give some take some. the bigger the a/r on the turbine the better the flow and the less power robbing reversion you have but the longer you wait for spool and the less broad your power band is. i personally like my .63 on my car but i have different goals and a larger engine to make that .63 spool at a decent rpm. for your goals a .48 turbine housing i think would flow enough and the lil b16 would have a decent spool and broad power band.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16. (agrn93ls)

heres what i pretty much put together and have been running 250-270whp for the past 2.5 yrs with like 50k miles (i drive a **** load)

walbro 255 - $100
ebay cast iron log manifold - $100 (hasnt cracked and its a rev hard style)
Rev hard downpipe - $150
intercooler piping and intercooler - $200 (from ebay, i had to modify, but no biggie)
DSM injectors w/resistor box- $75
greddy type rs bov (knock off) - $60
Tial 38mm wastegate - $200
Good tune - $500
Good garret or precision turbo - $500
ACT XT6puk clutch - $400

Total: $2285 which is about $2300. thats not bad including a tune.

as for the turbo do it right the first time, buy a name brand one i didnt do that and learn the hard way. i bought a ebay one for like 150 and it lasted 20k then i had to rebuilt by blast performance for 200, AND its a tiny turbo (44trim) . I wouldnt recommend ebay turbos. Which is why i bought a precision sc34 that is going on soon, and that cost me like $500

Good luck with ur build!!

Quick Reply: noob to turbo's. ?'s regarding boosting my b16.