Notices

Noise from turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from turbo???

I got my turbo on last night, but today I noticed that when I start moving from a stop, there is a slight squeeking noise. I think it may be from the turbo, but it almost sounds like the clutch... any ideas?
Thanks
Old 06-08-2003, 01:12 PM
JAY

Default Re: Noise from turbo??? (VanHonda)

does it make the same noise if ur just sitting there and put the clutch in? if u rev it?
Old 06-08-2003, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting...I've noticed something (possibly) similar with my turbo; when I'm going along and give it some throttle just to the point that the turbo is spooling up, but not creating any boost (about -1 in. HG, or so I think) I get this little squeek. If I modulate the throttle I can sustain this noise and have done so for a second or two, but then decided I probably wasn't doing anyone any good. If I boost, no noise, if I run more vacuum, no noise. It's just at this particular point, regardless of gear, rpm or vehicle speed.

Is this similar to your prob? If it's just from a stop and you're not boosting, it's probably your clutch pilot bearing (mine did that for a year before I changed my clutch).

Does anyone have an idea about my noise? Is it a harmonic in the turbo or the BOV leaking? It's a Garrett T3 and I have a Bosch BOV
Old 06-08-2003, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Noise from turbo??? (ion_four)

My noise is very similar, it does it clutch in or out, so i think it is the turbo. Like you said, boost= no noise, idle= no noise, just a certain point at like 2-3000 rpm. I pre lubed the turbo and all that, I just want to be sure nothing is wrong.
Old 06-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VanHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My noise is very similar, it does it clutch in or out, so i think it is the turbo. Like you said, boost= no noise, idle= no noise, just a certain point at like 2-3000 rpm. I pre lubed the turbo and all that, I just want to be sure nothing is wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, if it's dependent upon engine rpm, it might not be the turbo. My noise happens at ANY rpm, it's just a matter of a particular speed at which the turbo is spinning (or so it seems). If your turbo was professionally assembled, I wouldn't worry about it. You can make sure it's getting proper oil by taking off the return and making a mess while it's running, just to be safe. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it, except if you think it's something with the BOV or something else that can be fixed. I'm starting to think it's my BOV because that seems to make more sense. Anyway, enough rambling...;