Notices

Nippon SOHC "turbo" pistons, revisited...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nippon SOHC "turbo" pistons, revisited...

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...89986

I didn't know that they're now available with a floating pin style (and they're available in 75.5mm FTW! ) so that they can work with Eagle or other forged rods!!

The main gripe people have had with these pistons is that they aren't able to work with anything other than stock rods. Maybe this new model will be more worthwhile for us ninjas going for around 300whp??

Does ANYONE here actually KNOW someone running these pistons? I'm about to buy a set and just be a guinea pig.

Pics:

Old 01-21-2006, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Nippon SOHC "turbo" pistons, revisited... (boostincoupe)

So are these pistons basically stock pistons with coatings on them and different domes or what..? I wonder how much these things can handle..I know alot of honda guys down in Puerto-rico run these but havent seen any HP ratings or anything..
Old 01-21-2006, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The look exactly like Vitara pistons, which means low compression and piston slap...
Old 01-21-2006, 02:55 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The look exactly like Vitara pistons, which means low compression and piston slap...</TD></TR></TABLE>

piston slap usually comes from too much p/w...no?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

by p/w do you mean piston to wall clearance? if so, then yes, that's where it comes from, and it's no fun.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the ring lands bigger than stock seems like.....*shrug* i dunno
Old 01-21-2006, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">by p/w do you mean piston to wall clearance? if so, then yes, that's where it comes from, and it's no fun.</TD></TR></TABLE>
have you had problems with your vitara setup?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The look exactly like Vitara pistons, which means low compression and piston slap...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's probably because you're running a stock bore piston in an out-of-round higher-mileage cylinder wall.

These are available in a .020" (75.5mm) overbore, so you can bore and hone your block, and set the proper piston-wall clearance with a fresh bore/hone.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah since when does viatra=piston slap? they're cast so you can run things pretty tight... like 0.002 would be ******* loose as a goose with those pistons. 0.00055 would be good...

more like shitty engine building=piston slap
Old 01-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nippon SOHC "turbo" pistons, revisited... (boostincoupe)

bump for a potentially decent setup
Old 01-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Justin Jones)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin Jones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah since when does viatra=piston slap? they're cast so you can run things pretty tight... like 0.002 would be ******* loose as a goose with those pistons. 0.00055 would be good...

more like shitty engine building=piston slap </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right about the cast pistons needing to be tight, but not about shitty engine building if referring to me. My cylinders were all honed and less that half a thousandth was taken out to make them round. The only alternative would have been to bore out my cylinders and go .040 over in a sohc turbo block, I don't think so. My vitaras are loose as a goose but that is because they aren't 75 mm, they're a bit smaller. Now, the reason I am cautioning here is because piston slap is just annoying. For the record I have 13K on my vitaras and they're still going strong, but everytime I start it up and here them clacking away it's like
Old 01-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That's probably because you're running a stock bore piston in an out-of-round higher-mileage cylinder wall.

These are available in a .020" (75.5mm) overbore, so you can bore and hone your block, and set the proper piston-wall clearance with a fresh bore/hone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Going .020 over is probably a good and relatively safe idea.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Going .020 over is probably a good and relatively safe idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-23-2006, 09:32 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Justin Jones)

the clack clakc you hear on vitatras is not slap!! is due to the floating wrist pin..I have said it a lot in here.. If it was pistons slaop your Sleeves skirt would be destroyed by now..

They sound the same way in the motor they were designed for, the Vitara

BTW: i you guys need vitaras let me know i will be getting some sets next Monday..

My Vitara setup is still running strong after almost 2 years running it 24/7.

And you thought Cheap ,reliable and fast could not be in the same sentence...lol
Old 01-23-2006, 11:29 AM

Default Re: (fjt)

I dunno if I would put fast and reliable in that sentace yet. Let's wait until there are some 300+ whp daily driver cars running 11's on these vitara pistons before we get too excited. I am not impressed with a sub 300whp 12 second car that has a "built" motor.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:58 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

well there are some around, just that they dont post here(one with 303whp and another with 311whp)..theyre locals.. and i think oxhernandez from here put 300+ whp on a y7 motor and vitaras..but i dunno what happened to him though, it seems he dissapeared from the face of this ear

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dunno if I would put fast and reliable in that sentace yet. Let's wait until there are some 300+ whp daily driver cars running 11's on these vitara pistons before we get too excited. I am not impressed with a sub 300whp 12 second car that has a "built" motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well maybe not fast in your book..

What do you call Built? My car for example just has Pistons/rods and block guard(Which 90% of you guys hate).. everything else(Head/cam/valves/springs & retainers/IM)are stock, not even a light P&P..even the HG is OEM.. and my car has been driven 24/7 for more than a year and a half..not just a grocery getter or a weekend car..Driven everyday

Old 01-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beerbongskickass)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beerbongskickass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dunno if I would put fast and reliable in that sentace yet. Let's wait until there are some 300+ whp daily driver cars running 11's on these vitara pistons before we get too excited. I am not impressed with a sub 300whp 12 second car that has a "built" motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its all a matter of what you want from your setup.
it you want a setup that can produce around 300 whp, without a problem AND you are on a budget, maybe the vitaras are for you.

is fjt can run these for 2+ years with a good amount of power, that helps proves the reliabiltiy of these pistons.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

I'd like to see people trying to push the vitaras more considering there are people making 300whp on bone stock D blocks. Anyone hit 350whp on them yet?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:22 PM

Stock pistons can put down that kind of power for 2 years lol... Like I said let's see some real number before we all get excited. I just don't see the point of half *** building a motor just to save like $250-350. Spend the extra money now and your car will handle as much as you want to throw at it with good tuning.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd like to see people trying to push the vitaras more considering there are people making 300whp on bone stock D blocks. Anyone hit 350whp on them yet? </TD></TR></TABLE>

so far only two people i know of ran 300 whp on a stock block

one blew up and one is still running, but not sure how long...(since its been less than a year)
Old 01-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe one blew up because he tried pushing more than 300whp.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

one of them blew up because he turned up the boost WITHOUT extra tuning
Old 01-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (dornon13)

A little off topic... but I am so damn sick of homos using the term "ninja" to describe a single cam turbo setup.

[/rant]
Old 01-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A little off topic... but I am so damn sick of homos using the term "ninja" to describe a single cam turbo setup.

[/rant]</TD></TR></TABLE>

See sig, you vagina monologue.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fjt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the clack clakc you hear on vitatras is not slap!! is due to the floating wrist pin..I have said it a lot in here.. If it was pistons slaop your Sleeves skirt would be destroyed by now..

They sound the same way in the motor they were designed for, the Vitara

BTW: i you guys need vitaras let me know i will be getting some sets next Monday..

My Vitara setup is still running strong after almost 2 years running it 24/7.

And you thought Cheap ,reliable and fast could not be in the same sentence...lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

if your floating wrist pins make that much noise you have serious problems or something is badly out of spec. floating pins should not make any noise.
the clanking you're hearing IS piston slap; if you're runing cast alum. pistins with a .006" piston to wall clearance you're going to have some noise. I'm runinng that much piston to wall clearance but I have srp forged slugs; they rattle a bit in the cold but it quickly goes away; the wrist pins make NO noise.

but to answer the original question: I'd r un those in a budget D buildup. As long as the ringlands are stronger than stock why not; and you can get them in 20 over so all the more reason to. 20 over shouldn't weaken the bores too much to cause problems with a good tune.

Quick Reply: Nippon SOHC "turbo" pistons, revisited...