Notices

NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (sando112)

I have used non-resistor type plugs, non-projected insulator plugs too, never had any problems. Never noticed any difference. I've tried these:

http://www.nology.com
http://www.directhits.com

And even this JDM power capacitor:

http://www6.plala.or.jp/kamikaze_r/004.JPG

Never really got any noticable increases in power with any of them. But then again I don't have access to a real dyno, only my butt dyno.

I've got BKR's ZFR's BCPR's and some others. I'll take side by side by side picts when I get a chance and post them in this thread.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:07 AM

Default Re: (SiR Kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiR Kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I'm going to drive the local Napa guy crazy and get him to order me 4 BKR6E-8's, BKR7E-8's and BKR8E-8's.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Do those plugs exist? Those numbers are not coming up on sparkplugs.com.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:08 AM

Default Re: (sharkcohen)

I've been having poor low end, part throttle performance on my JRSC setup in this hot weather. I threw in a set of R5672A-8 (was using BCPR7ES), and it seems to have solved the problem.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ran bcpr7es and they worked fine for me, never had 1 problem with them.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:18 PM

Default Re: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More... (ladysman)

thx
Old 05-22-2003, 11:38 PM

Great Info
Old 05-23-2003, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (XDEep)

After installing my custom turbo kit, I have recently had some problems starting my car up. At cold startups it starts up fine, after warmup if I turn her off somewhere it would take like 10 million cranks and somewhere along the line it starts up. I JUST replaced the plugs but unfortunately I replaced it with stock platinum plugs at stock gaps. My motor is a stock b16a2 with stock everything, custom turbo and a 12:1 fmu with stock plug wires also. What would cause it to not want to crank up until millions of cranks other than the timing not being retarded yet or motor not tuned?
Old 05-23-2003, 12:46 AM

Default Re: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More... (ladysman)

Thanks for the info. This will help me alot more when I plan my ingintion upgrade.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More... (AcIntegGSR00)

Ive been running all over and phoning everywhere looking for bkr7e's but no one has them. I finally went to the local napa and the guy wanted the number(6097)
thank goodness i remembered it from this thread . They didnt have any in. INfact no stores did but the warehouse did. SO I bought 20
ahahahaha. Theyll be in tomorrow morning. w00t!
Old 05-23-2003, 07:35 PM

Default Re: (Kimbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After installing my custom turbo kit, I have recently had some problems starting my car up. At cold startups it starts up fine, after warmup if I turn her off somewhere it would take like 10 million cranks and somewhere along the line it starts up. I JUST replaced the plugs but unfortunately I replaced it with stock platinum plugs at stock gaps. My motor is a stock b16a2 with stock everything, custom turbo and a 12:1 fmu with stock plug wires also. What would cause it to not want to crank up until millions of cranks other than the timing not being retarded yet or motor not tuned?</TD></TR></TABLE>

what car? hondas tend to have a problem with the main fuel relay. otherwise its usually the ignition coil, igniter, or distributor itself. check your favorite forum/board for your specific car. you can resolder your main fuel relay too. check http://www.g2ic.com/forums and go to articles/teg tips for my how-to.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More... (Midwestrider)

yes the BKR7E's are the way to go with alot of setups. some Honda motors use a #5 plug from the factory and some Honda motors use a #6 plug from the factory.
so a #7 could be either 1 step colder or 2 steps colder depending on the motor.
i believe D series and the B18A/B use a #5 heat range, whereas the DOHC VTEC motors use #6 heat range plugs.

most N2O setups use the BKR7E plugs, as do alot of turbo setups. but some boosted motors will require a #8 or #9 plug (or higher) depending on what the application is, like some who run high boost setups who have already posted on here. i used the BKR7E-11's on my old N2O setup, gapped to .035" without problems but i also used an MSD ignition system for a strong spark.

when running a boosted or N2O injected motor, you want to use less gap with a weaker spark (like a stock ignition system) but you can normally use a larger gap with a strong aftermarket ignition system.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:42 AM

Default Re: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More... (sweet)

physical differences between bkr vs bcp of the same heat range? bcp looks noticeably colder (shorter insulator and electrode) than zfr.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brad,

very good info

Also, the BKR7E is a also used standard plugs for certain Honda/Acuras.

Honda part number:

98079-5714J

For refrences,
Bert
Old 05-28-2003, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More... (BERT-O)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BERT-O &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Brad,

very good info

Also, the BKR7E is a also used standard plugs for certain Honda/Acuras.

Honda part number:

98079-5714J

For refrences,
Bert</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the additional info!!
Old 05-28-2003, 12:38 PM

Default Re: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More... (XDEep)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XDEep &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">physical differences between bkr vs bcp of the same heat range? bcp looks noticeably colder (shorter insulator and electrode) than zfr.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The heat range does not necessarily have to do with the amount of exposed electrode.

http://www.densoiridium.com/heatranges.htm

If you look here you will see what I mean. The differences in design are not seen from the outisde. You would have to peek down in between the porcelin and metal to see the difference.

The cylinder head absorbs most of the heat from the plugs. The colder plugs have more porcelin to metal contact for the heat to conduct through to the head. Heat range has nothing to do with external dimensions- when comparing similar plugs, like bkr5es-11 vs. bkr7es-11, they will be the exact same length.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sharkcohen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been having poor low end, part throttle performance on my JRSC setup in this hot weather. I threw in a set of R5672A-8 (was using BCPR7ES), and it seems to have solved the problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what the heck is R5672A-8? the part #? whats the model # for that?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: (XDEep)

I went to my local area auto shop (Murray's)

I asked for some BKR7E He told me they aren't availible and ask me what kind of car it was for so he could find what plugs the car needed.. I told him that there shouldn't be a problem and that knowing what car wouldn't help that much becuase I need colder plugs becuase of "stuff" that are on the car.

he told me that the BKR7ES-11's are teh same kind of plugs just pre gapped.

I guess the dood was wrong. Which mean.. I guess I'm goign back tomarrow to change my order. But he told me that BKR7E's dont' exist..... sure... whatever....

either I'm goign to change my order, or I'm just goign to cancel the order completely.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More... (XDEep)

Excellent info.. now this is tech...
Old 07-15-2003, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good info! Just what I have been looking for.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More... (RyanCivic2000)

I recently installed BKR7E in my friends LS/VTEC with high compression and it was knocking really bad with the #5 heat range. After I switch them to this #7 and it went away the knocking and detonation.
Vic
Old 07-17-2003, 04:59 PM

I dont get it? Im running a D16Z6 on tropical weather and low boost 6-10psi, there are two plugs and two explanations on the picture but I dont get if its the same plug but it has two specs or what?? there is BKR7E that everyone recomend and there is also the ZFR6J??? Are they the same plug??? The first one doesnt go in the second diagram and the second one doesnt go in the first (eg the first one doesnt have Z for plug type

THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 07-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More... (jetpilot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jetpilot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont get it? Im running a D16Z6 on tropical weather and low boost 6-10psi, there are two plugs and two explanations on the picture but I dont get if its the same plug but it has two specs or what?? there is BKR7E that everyone recomend and there is also the ZFR6J??? Are they the same plug??? The first one doesnt go in the second diagram and the second one doesnt go in the first (eg the first one doesnt have Z for plug type

THANKS IN ADVANCE</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, they aren't the same plug. One is the 6 heat range and one is the 7 heat range. If you are in a warm climate, use the 7's.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:03 PM

but why are the letters and numbers different if heat range is specified by only one number? What is the difference between the BKR7E and the ZFR7J then? Witch one is better for a low boost Z&?
Old 07-18-2003, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More... (jetpilot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jetpilot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but why are the letters and numbers different if heat range is specified by only one number? What is the difference between the BKR7E and the ZFR7J then? Witch one is better for a low boost Z&?</TD></TR></TABLE>

So I don't have to go over this again, look at the picture on the first page of this thread.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:28 AM
New User

back up for ppl just turboing their cars... good info here

Quick Reply: NGK Spark Plugs....Everything You Ever Wanted To Know and More...