Notices

Newbie question....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question....

Hello out there

Ok, first of all - I'm all new to Honda.... After Drag Racing with American Muscles in the early 90ties, over here in Switzerland, I switched over to BMW's which are also my daily cars. After some "sessions" on the strip, I've realized, that all those small displacement 4 Bangers showed' me theire tail lights run by run.

I spent tons of money (which I don't really can afford) to get my inline six into the high to middle 12's. And I did knew, that there must be a way to get a 10 sec car for the same money.... After tons of reading I came to Honda.... I drove allready several Hondas and was allways happy in those little cars (CRX, Civics, Integra, as they are called over here), when I leave beside the fact, that I have 99 % of my driving experience on RWD cars and trucks.

So let's come to my problem - there are different names for the same cars between the US and Europe - is there a source known, where I can compare the names of the cars and theire engines? I mean US vs. Euro Versions and theire differences? Also a chart of the engine codes and in which cars they was built in would be helpful.

Over here in Europe it is very hard to find sources of knowledge about Turbocharged Hondas. They talk a lot of **** in European Forums and are talking allways from things what they have heard about. So they are not very helpful. But to know what you guys are talking about, I should have a possibility to compare what YOU use to turbocharge, to what we have over here.

After all what I saw in posts, I think that I should have to go with a B16, into a CRX, which are available to payable prices over here. But then I see, that one writes about a B16 with 1.8 litre displacement, and so on.... For my understanding, this would be a B18 with a B16 head.... it would be so nice, if there is a source where I could read about all those things, to understand all the posts and let me decide after which parts I have to look out to get my 10 sec. car together.

One thing is for sure.... I have to change from RWD to FWD.... I hope you guys help me out and let me understand.... give me a good start on what I have to learn, related to what I know and have digged out in several years, related to the BMW engines, tranny's, weak spots, etc.

Sorry for my poor English language

Marc
Old 11-14-2011, 11:16 AM
R.I.P. Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Newbie question....

Hi Marc

To understand a lot more about the honda engine range I would read this page :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine

The diffrence between engines in most countrys isnt much, although power levels vary
this is due to ECU as some countrys have restrictions JDM ECU's are tuned higher
but not realy better and a lot of Ecu's are locked and dont allow room for mods or tuning.
This is why most are tuned with a unlocked ecu with the help of a plugin like Hondata s300
probable one of the best out there
There are also a big diffrence in engine choice with Vtec and nonVtec,

this should help get you started learning more about honda's

welcome to the world of Honda's and Vtec
OH and welcome to HT

Cheers
Mark

ill add more info soon
Old 11-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Newbie question....

Hey Mark

Thank's a lot for the link.... Was allready searching the English Wiki, but didn't tought to search after "B engines" :-(

Every info is well appreciated! You can bet that I have invested some 20 years to know about V8 Chevy's and BMW inline six's what I know today.... so I am at the strating line again with this interesting high reving Honda Tech....

All the best from Switzerland

A thankful noob....