Notices

New to turbos...Need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to turbos...Need help

Ok, I have always been against turbos just because I'm poor (not really, I just don't have extra money to spend on a turbo. Poor people don't have money for food or clothing) and I always have been pro n2o but it is getting old refilling that damn bottle when I wanna go fast.

So my Turbo nOOb question is what all parts are required to piece together a turbo kit. Here is what I know you need.

Turbo
turbo manifold
wastegate
IC (kind of optional but preferred)
piping from turbo to IC and IC to TB
BOV
Oil feed and return lines
some sort of boost controller which is really what I don't understand. How does it work? Off of vacuum? If so where does the vacuum come from?

Like I said I'm a noob to turbos so anything I missed please let me know and anything I will need to know about piecing me a turbo kit together. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:39 AM

Default Re: New to turbos...Need help (AudioXtremes)

dont worry im a turbo noob and im married to a turbo freak.. check out Camps website at http://www.camp1320.com

[Modified by 400mDRAG, 1:40 AM 3/26/2003]
Old 03-26-2003, 01:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to turbos...Need help (400mDRAG)

dont forget you need some kind of fuel manegement, like a vortech fmu and an inline pump. maybe some bigger inj. boost guage, egt guage, and a/f guage. not nec but very vital for knowing whats goin on under the hood. youl need a special flange to mait the bov to the piping. and a boost controller is not nec either. the wastegate is set at a preset max psi. and you can swap springs for higher/lower psi. you will also need a downpipe to flow gases form the turbine to cat. all i can think of right now. good luck
Old 03-26-2003, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to turbos...Need help (mitsuman)

I was planning on running some dsm 450s with a safc. Which is better a fmu or afc? Also some sort of new pump. And I was planning on a/f and boost guages but whats a egt guage? And I knew about the downpipe but forgot to list it. Thanks for all the help so far. Esp. about wastegate.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:32 PM

run the safc and dsm 450 injectors. in my opinon a fmu is not something you want to use for fuel managment. You may need a fuel pump also with the injectors and safc. I will find out as i am doing the a custom setup with a safc and dsm 450 injectors. well an a/f gauge is mostly for looks not really for tuning. Boost gauge is a must and also i would suggest getting an egt gauge. An egt gauge measures the exhaust temperature in the manifold(i think or could be the downpipe). The EGT gauge is very effective for tuning when a wideband o2 sensor is also hooked up. Also you may not have to buy a wastegate if the turbo you buy comes with an internal wastegate. hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to turbos...Need help (hollaback6)

Well I was talking to one of my dsm buddys and he showed me that the 14b i was planning on useing has a build in wastegate. And he said it controls boost too. But does it have water lines?? Also where are you getting your oil feed from? I can tap my oil pan for the return but where does the feed come from. Also the wastegat dumps on the same flange as the dp so I guess I should run a dsm downpipe with custom exhaust? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I was talking to one of my dsm buddys and he showed me that the 14b i was planning on useing has a build in wastegate. And he said it controls boost too. But does it have water lines?? Also where are you getting your oil feed from? I can tap my oil pan for the return but where does the feed come from. Also the wastegat dumps on the same flange as the dp so I guess I should run a dsm downpipe with custom exhaust? Thanks.
anyone?
Old 03-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I was talking to one of my dsm buddys and he showed me that the 14b i was planning on useing has a build in wastegate.And he said it controls boost too.
yes it has a built in wastegate at a pre set psi (forgot what psi) but thats a pretty small turbo. i would suggest going with something a bit bigger, if not a t3/t4 i say a at least a S16g. you only need an external WG if the turbo did not come with an internal WG, or you can take it out, in place for an external one, if you so desire.

But does it have water lines?? Also where are you getting your oil feed from? I can tap my oil pan for the return but where does the feed come from.
i believe it has water lines yes, but it is not necissary to run them, just turbo time it and youl be fine. turbo timing is when you stop the car(when u arive at your destination of course) and you let the car run for about 45-60 sec to not only cool the turbo but get fresh oil to it. and you tap into the oil feed from the back of the block where the oil sending unit is attached. T it off from there. Flamenco-T sells oil return and feed kits.

Also the wastegat dumps on the same flange as the dp so I guess I should run a dsm downpipe with custom exhaust? Thanks.
if you wanna use that 14b turbo, you could use some of the dsm down pipe but not all of course since it wont fit, then get a custom exh made. go with 2.5-3 inch. and a/f are not just for looks, some are crap but you can get a modded one thats more precise but only works at WOT. egt guage is more important though cuz you can kinda tell if your runnin too rich by the EGT.( exhaust gas temp)