Notices

New Turbo - check engine light after boost ????????????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Turbo - check engine light after boost ????????????????

Just finnished installing a new Greddy Turbo on my son's '95 Civic EX. Everything seems kosher except that when the car is run hard enough for the boost guage to register, the check engie light comes on and the engine idles up and down.
Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 08-12-2003, 05:26 AM

Default Re: New Turbo - check engine light after boost ???????????????? (wambus)

first thing to do is check on that CEL. that can give u a general idea of the problem. secondly i'd check the wiring of the blue box. check over every connection and make sure they're good.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Turbo - check engine light after boost ???????????????? (wambus)

if it idleing up and down could be a vac leak
Old 08-12-2003, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Turbo - check engine light after boost ???????????????? (u2civic1)

we checked the connections to the Greddy computer and they seem good. We will check for codes tonight. We have the blow-off valve and the boost guage hooked in the vacuum line from the intake to the fuel rail. Is that kosher?

The light re-sets when you shut off the car, if that helps.

Old 08-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK,

We checked the codes - MAP sensor indicated. We put hose clamps on all of the vacum lines under the hood. We checked teh computer connections and they appear to b solid and correct.

The light and subsequent malfunctioning engine does not happen at a consistent point each time.

Please help - son is very grouchy right now.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:17 AM

Your map senser is reading boost. you'l have to blead off the boost getting to your map senser whitch you kit should of came with. dubble check to make sure thats all working right...
Old 08-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your map sensor is reading boost which it shouldn't. You need to bypass the map sensor by either using check valves or a missing link. I'm not to sure what the greddy kit comes with to bypass this problem.

Check valves are cheap you can get those at a pet store. There are a lot of people selling missing links on H-T or on ebay.

Good Luck
Old 08-14-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Turbo - check engine light after boost ???????????????? (EVOLMTR)

Great ! I think we are getting somewhere. The GReddy kit had many deficiencies. Info on this was NOT included. Nearly all of the washers included in the kit did not fit the bolts. The many-paged booklet for the computer is all in Japanese, while the install intructions for the computer are large type on a single page.....

Anyway, can anyone direct me to information on exactly how to do this - such as where exactly is the MAP sensor? We don't have the factory manual - only the crappy Haines book.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the map sensor is the black thing on top of the throttlebody. i think it actually states "MAP" on the top of the map sensor. there are 2 philips head screws that hold it in/on

check http://www.importparts.com they have a "missing link" check valve. its a nice looking piece and u wont have to worry about cheap *** check valves.

see it here
http://www.importparts.com/imp...ECK02/
Old 08-15-2003, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Turbo - check engine light after boost ???????????????? (2.2Lcivic)

just a lil 411....my experience with the Synapse Missing Link is badd....i was only boostin 10 psi with it and still threw cel for MAP...i swapped them out about 3 times and still did it and swapped MAP sensor and still did it...i gave up and went Hondata w/3bar map sensor....

Old 08-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Turbo - check engine light after boost ???????????????? (PRojectSi2)

check valves work good booste 1 month without a check engine light