Notices

New turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New turbo build

Hello everyone,

I currently have a 1996 civic ex, 5 speed with the d16y8. Im going to be turboing my car on a budget besides the main parts that i cant fab up myself, (turbo, wastegate,injectors,ecu,oil pump(will explain), and bov). Ok so what i plan on doing is somewhat of a remote turbo setup, before you knock it, it has been done. Im not trying to break any records or have the fastest civic around here, just a nice daily driver with pep. Here is a list of what i have gotten so far,

Stock d16y8 engine(incar)5 speed
450cc dsm injectors with resistor box
Obd2a p28 ecu from HondaData with s200
Aps S/R40 turbo
Bov

Now for the mounting/plumbing im a welder/programmer and have access to a plasma table so flanges and misc parts i can draw and cut for myself. Any and all tubing i can also get with no problem. My Question is with this size turbo and my car being stock and only maybe wanting to see 200whp with stock block, would this turbo be up to the Challenge of making good boost? It has the internal wastegate it came with from aps, and im thinking around 10psi will be enough to get my hp needs. Besides all the fabbing and knowing were to place everything, my area of trouble are going to be the oil supply/drain. I was thinking of a scavenger pump, with a seperate tank for oil rather then use the engines oil/drilling tapping oil pan or fill cap. Also with these 450cc dsm injectors(blue top) do i need to upgrade my fuel pump with these or can i get by with stock pump and less boost?

Im not doing a front mount turbo setup, nor do i want to at this time. Any incite will be appreciated.

Last edited by Dynastro; 04-11-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New turbo build

Going to go with engine sandwich plate for oil feed and track scavenger pump and cooler and pump oil to the oil fill cap. Going to cut out flanges tomorrow and prolly order a intercooler piping/intercooler kit and buy a 20 foot section of 16 ga aluminized 2.5 piping for intake, in theory it sounds good but is a .60 compressor .82 turbine to big/small? The p28 is tuned for a jrsc with 450cc injectors and 10 psi, is there a difference in tuning on a sc vs turbo? I know noob question but I feel the need to ask to pass time.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That turbo is WAY to big. Im on a 57trim .63 ar and I think its too laggy on my b18c.
Go-autoworks has some good kit's check them out. For a 200whp goal stick with a small turbo.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm more looking for a lil more of a top end turbo and I'm guessing a bigger will be alright considering it has a small compressor but big turbine, also I have put a dx tranny so the gears are longer then ex tranny I'm sure, since doing this I can hit 75mph in second gear at redline 7200rpms with 17s dunno if this is good for top end but seems like it would be a good highway/top end car.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the dx transmission would make the car slower than with the ex transmission.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well it will accelerate slower but i think with the longer gearing and the bigger turbo ill have myself a nice highway car that drives like normal in town?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:17 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For 200whp, look into a 16g or T3 Super 60. There are T25 series turbos which might fit your needs better than a larger T3 flanged turbo, but you may run problems finding a T25 flanged Honda manifold on a budget.

When looking at turbos, remember that each has a flow rating in lb/min, which you can use to calculate potential power rating. A 28lb/min turbo should be capable of making ~280bhp, which after 20% drivetrain loss is ~220whp. Find something in the 26-30lb/min range.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im not using a manifold im making rear mount for stealth and uniqueness, no one around here has a rear mount setup on anything but gtos. i think the turbo i have will spool, might be lil laggy but that is ok for now, im just looking for topend.

thanks for input
Old 04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by mafia
That turbo is WAY to big. Im on a 57trim .63 ar and I think its too laggy on my b18c.
Really? It's great for my setup
Old 04-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What type of setup are you running? A d or b series? Also the turbo I have is for a wrx, I can't imagine they have better flow the a 1.6 sohc, but that is debatable,

Keep with the input, it's appreciated. Look forward for pictures of build, and maybe a couple videos once I finish gathering the rest of my pieces!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by Dynastro
im making rear mount for stealth and uniqueness

Nobody does rear-mounts on Hondas because of a few reasons:
1.There is plenty of room in the engine bay, first and foremost. This is the chief reason for GTOs and Camaros having rear-mount turbo setups.
2. With such a small displacement engine and a lot of exhaust piping between the front and back of a Civic, plan to have a lot of lag.
3. Oil returns are typically gravity feed on most setups, but with a remote-mount, you'll now need an oil scavenge pump and reservoir.

The reason its "unique" is because its impractical and most people with any sense of what is required will opt for something easier and forget the childish notion of being cutting edge
Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I've already turboed a couple vehicles, I figure I'd give this a go an well if it doesn't work, I can always buy a manifold and rerouite piping and be on the norm, this is more a trial turbo kit for sh*ts and giggles. Who knows tho this combo might be a nice setup for what I want, so can quit on it now.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by justYncredible
Mabe it's because I drove a sti for a few months before I got my car tuned. Spool difference is night and day (ITR vs sti) but regard less I think my ITR is laggy, can't expect too much got a JB and as plain as it gets. ( not trying to compare a sti vs ITR with 57 trim, just stating why I consider my car laggy)

More info on your setup? At what rpm do you see full boost?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Little change in plans I'm going to be adding a front mount, that way if this does end in low boost or laggy spool, I will buy manifold and not really be out but 100$ for the oil pump.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:21 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by mafia
More info on your setup? At what rpm do you see full boost?
B18c1
Itr cams
Cp pistons
Eagle rods
Blox IM
synapse turbo kit Garrett t3/t4 57 trim .63 ar
3in all the way back
70mm throttle body

It's been a couple of months since I drove my car due to a rebuild I'm doing on my transmission but I'm at full boost at around 4.5-5.5k if I remember correctly. My car is very responsive I build boost quickly before I hit full boost. Once I get my stuff settled ill be able to know exactly. Ill just send you a pm or something
Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by justYncredible
APS SR40s are smaller than what H-T would call a 50trim turbo. Its a Subaru platform which has its own issues, but it wouldn't be too large for this.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you, I think it's a 50 trim, but compared to the t 70 on my cobra it's tiny
Old 04-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just keep it simple

You're looking at a maximum of 225hp due to the connecting rods and also, the y8 has tons of oiling system issues, starting with the crank oiling design and the oil pump itself, y8s are notorious for spinning rod bearings (ask me how I know)

For a fun daily driver, a log or cast manifold will be the ticket and you don't want a t3/t04e framed turbo as you can fully utilize the power it can produce and for the power level your build can support, it will be overly laggy for no point, almost unbearable to drive the lag would be so bad

Look at a straight t3 60trim, it will be perfect for your power goals, have recent spool time and can be had dort cheap from Ford svo owners that upgrade

If you have a bit more money to spend and want more response than the previous turbo I mentioned looking into a gt2560, gt28, and gt2860 would also be viable options, although like I said, will cost more but the cost is worth it

although with the 3 I just mentioned you'd need a t25 flanged manifold like an Edelbrock unit or a Greddy unit. I see the Greddy ones pop up on eBay dirt cheap from time to time (think beer money) the last one I saw sold for like 27 dollars, however the Edelbrock manifold flows much better due to the casting design, but you'll be hard pressed to find a used unit.., some suppliers still have new d series Edelbrock turbo manifolds that cost less than 200 new (around 150-175 if I recall correctly)

http://www.race-mart.com/Edelbrock-EDE-15031.html

Here's a company that has them, I'm about to buy the b series from them if my build goes like it does.... however these guys have the best pricing I've seen for the manifolds (and i spent months googling and looking for a b series one, whose price is exact to the d series) so I wouldn't steer you wrong when I tell you they are your best bet, especially since both B and D series ,manifolds have been discontinued from Edelbrock. So its down to what wholesalers and suppliers have left on the shelves

.but its really up to you to decide, we can only advise on good and bad choices

What's your overall purpose for the car? That will help a lot as no one seems to just "daily" their car

As my daily civic also sees hardcore mountain runs/hill climbs (public roads that go straight up local mountains lol) as well as local road course events (Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park as well as Barber occasionally)
Old 04-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My real final goal for car is to be at to take it from Georgia to Florida and back on week getaways like I said a highway/topend car. Just something different.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok question, we're do you guys get your gaskets for your downpipes from turbo? Also I found a scavenger pump for oiling system 80 bucks, it's for circle track racing, and my buddy uses same on his gto for rear mount turbos. Also if my turbo has water cooling setup would I need to use water cooler setup or can I block it off? It will be cooler since in rear. :/
Old 04-20-2013, 06:07 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

scavenge pump wont be needed, unless your drain is too low or youre running a cooling system of some sort.. I have two tilton scavenge pumps and they are being used only for transmission cooling and things of that nature

yea you need to run the water lines, what turbo
Old 04-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's an aps sr40 turbo off a an upgraded wrx, I'm running this remote, hence why I need oil pump, so I'd have to use the cooling system on turbo also?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

remote turbo is a waste, we have plenty of room to run turbos the traditional way... youll have substantial turbo lag, not to mention you have little to no room to run charge piping under the car to the engine bay and if your car is lowered in the slightest, even the mildest of speed bumps will damage/destroy the piping
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I should have plenty of room for charge piping, the turbo is small enough I shouldn't have terrible lag. I just want to try this since I'm only really comming out of pocket for the charge pipe and oil pump rest has been secured for next to nothing through bartering, so grand total once put on and tuned I should be close to maybe 700 total for non eBay parts, if I put it all on and have tuned, and I'm displeased all I need buy is a manifold.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by wantboost
remote turbo is a waste, we have plenty of room to run turbos the traditional way... youll have substantial turbo lag, not to mention you have little to no room to run charge piping under the car to the engine bay and if your car is lowered in the slightest, even the mildest of speed bumps will damage/destroy the piping
I already argued the same point, but he's stuck on the idea. I'm in for pics at this point...if he's determined to do things the hard way, at least give us some enjoyment for our trouble.

Remote mount is retarded and you will have a ton of lag with all the extra piping between the turbo and engine.
/thread