Notices

New turbo, bent turbine blades...? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New turbo, bent turbine blades...? Thoughts?

Just received a brand new hx35 I bought off ebay, yes its genuine. The guy packed it so goddamn bad...

Anyways, here is what I found

Most of the fan blades are exactly 1" tall. 3-4 of them measure 9/10ths an inch and a couple 9.5/10s an inch.

Would you guys run this, or is it fucked? I know I can send it back, but I ****** paid 42$ for shipping and he only paid like 25 to send it.. plus I sent an extra 20 outside of the transaction, and I have to ship it back... ****** bs...
Old 05-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: New turbo, bent turbine blades...? Thoughts?

If you are gentle you might be able to bend them back but they will be weak. more than likely they'll crack when you straighten them. if it were just the tips I wouldn't be that concerned but you can tell at least with one blade that the entire blade is bent because the back angle profile is totally wrong

you can try heating it with a propane torch and using a set of smooth jaw channel locks or similar pliers and gently straighten the tips

file a damaged item claim and get your money back. they'll let you keep the turbo. buy a new turbine wheel and fork out 80 for a balance.

Last edited by wantboost; 05-09-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just got back from a local turbo shop. they said it shouldn't be a problem. he said sometimes they will heat up the blades and try to bend them back to their correct position. he said since my turbo is new he wouldn't want to even try it, and just it as is, which I'm going to do. Thanks for your reply wantboost. You can delete/lock this if you'd like.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets say I wanted to file a damage claim, would I be able to do it, or would the sender have to do it?
Old 05-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to file a claim with eBay paypal
Old 05-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

you would have to file the claim.

simply take photos of the damage and take pictures of the box and packing material you received it in. If it's obviously a shitty packing job then paypal tends to side with the buyer, issuing a refund and allowing the buyer to keep the product (paypal has stopped playing games lol)

if you have a set of pliers like a knipex set i would use those. they have precision smooth jaws that don't mar a metal finish.

simply heat the tips with a propane torch until there's enough heat the make the metal pliable. don't under or overheat it and straighten it in small increments. if you bend the tip back too fast or too far and have to twist it the other way it can either snap the tip off or cause a fracture to appear
Old 05-10-2014, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you need to know is holsets are component balanced. Just save yourself the agrivation and buy a new wheel they really arent that much. Swap it in and you're good to go. If you do try to bend the fins back you will most likely do more damage than help. Then you will definately need to have it rebalanced and it probably will never work to its full potential cause you will never get the blades perfect. There is a guy on dsmtuners site who rebuilds journal bearing turbos and also sells authentic holset parts. He can hook you up with any parts you need. His screen name is JusMX141
Old 05-10-2014, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
you would have to file the claim.

simply take photos of the damage and take pictures of the box and packing material you received it in. If it's obviously a shitty packing job then paypal tends to side with the buyer, issuing a refund and allowing the buyer to keep the product (paypal has stopped playing games lol)

if you have a set of pliers like a knipex set i would use those. they have precision smooth jaws that don't mar a metal finish.

simply heat the tips with a propane torch until there's enough heat the make the metal pliable. don't under or overheat it and straighten it in small increments. if you bend the tip back too fast or too far and have to twist it the other way it can either snap the tip off or cause a fracture to appear
That is very hard to believe that ebay will issue a refund AND let the buyer keep the product.. That just doesn't make sense.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DraginX
One thing you need to know is holsets are component balanced. Just save yourself the agrivation and buy a new wheel they really arent that much. Swap it in and you're good to go. If you do try to bend the fins back you will most likely do more damage than help. Then you will definately need to have it rebalanced and it probably will never work to its full potential cause you will never get the blades perfect. There is a guy on dsmtuners site who rebuilds journal bearing turbos and also sells authentic holset parts. He can hook you up with any parts you need. His screen name is JusMX141

I'm going to move forward with a damage claim. If I'm unsuccessful, I'm just going to run it as is and see how it performs, if I'm compensated, I will repair it.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:19 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Originally Posted by TravisBiggie
That is very hard to believe that ebay will issue a refund AND let the buyer keep the product.. That just doesn't make sense.
It's not eBay. it's PayPal. and yes that's what they do now. I've filed numerous complaints and they let me keep the damaged part and get my money back.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Still doesn't make sense to me, so the buyer loses the item and loses the money I paid for the item or does paypal take the loss? It almost sounds like theft.. I did pay $300 for this item, I can understand paypal taking the loss for a cheaper item, but not sure about ~300$. well ****, looks like a common thing after a bit of googling..

Last edited by TravisBiggie; 05-11-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:35 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

PayPal takes no pity on people who halfass ship items or ship damaged items.

I've had items show up damaged that cost thousands of dollars, PayPal gave me my money back, told me to keep the item. the seller doesn't get anything, unless he insured the item during shipping.

eBay and PayPal have stopped playing games. if they even think the seller tried to sell an already damaged item then they are even worse on the seller. We do a ton of business of eBay, I know how they work.

and as far as being component balanced, every turbo has individually balanced components that are then balanced as an assembly

You'd have to assembly balance the CHRA after swapping turbine wheels
Old 05-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PayPal takes no pity on people who halfass ship items or ship damaged items.

I've had items show up damaged that cost thousands of dollars, PayPal gave me my money back, told me to keep the item. the seller doesn't get anything, unless he insured the item during shipping.

eBay and PayPal have stopped playing games. if they even think the seller tried to sell an already damaged item then they are even worse on the seller. We do a ton of business of eBay, I know how they work.

and as far as being component balanced, every turbo has individually balanced components that are then balanced as an assembly

You'd have to assembly balance the CHRA after swapping turbine wheels
Interesting.

cool deal. I did plan on having it balanced if I replace the wheels, thanks again bud.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

yea at least that's what they do with us because it's fine art and 400 year old china lol but I have had the same thing happen with auto parts and what not.

just don't back down when you file the claim. eventually paypal rolls over every time
Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just filed the claim and provided two pictures. Not only were 5 blades bent, but the nipple on the compressor housing was snapped off. The package was neglected big time.

If I win, I think I'm still going to run the turbo and see how it performs. My buddy is the one who is going to be tuning my car so I won't be out any money if the turbo doesn't perform correctly.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't these bent blades HELP with spool since there is more drag on the blades? All in all I hope it'll run fine as is.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:11 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Lol
Old 05-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have shitty turbo luck don't I turbohatch? ><
Old 05-11-2014, 09:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That you do

Those bent blades are going to increase back,pressure not help spool

Its going to be harder for tge exhaust to leave the housing
Old 05-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea that bend will cause issues.

also the turbine wheel is now out of balance due to those bent blades.

I've straightened small bends like that before, namely when a turbine housing gets stuck coming off and comes off sideways slightly tweaking the edges.

if you heat up the blade and slowly bend it back with smooth jaw pliers you should be ok. just remember to do it in small increments like I said before and you'll be ok. if you over bend it and bend it back you risk fracturing the tip or snapping the tip off. both are bad lol

when the nipple snapped off did it damage the compressor cover or just snap off above the threads leaving the threaded portion in the housing?

if it did that you can easily remove it by either hammering a slightly oversized bolt inside the broken nipple and remove it or you can hammer a slightly oversized drill bit into it and back it out that way. or you can use one of those fluted extractor bits.

the thread pitch on that nipple isn't pipe thread (at least it shouldn't be IIRC) and they don't use any Teflon sealant or thread lock so it should come right out
Old 05-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea that bend will cause issues.

also the turbine wheel is now out of balance due to those bent blades.

I've straightened small bends like that before, namely when a turbine housing gets stuck coming off and comes off sideways slightly tweaking the edges.

if you heat up the blade and slowly bend it back with smooth jaw pliers you should be ok. just remember to do it in small increments like I said before and you'll be ok. if you over bend it and bend it back you risk fracturing the tip or snapping the tip off. both are bad lol

when the nipple snapped off did it damage the compressor cover or just snap off above the threads leaving the threaded portion in the housing?

if it did that you can easily remove it by either hammering a slightly oversized bolt inside the broken nipple and remove it or you can hammer a slightly oversized drill bit into it and back it out that way. or you can use one of those fluted extractor bits.

the thread pitch on that nipple isn't pipe thread (at least it shouldn't be IIRC) and they don't use any Teflon sealant or thread lock so it should come right out
just the nipple portion of the fitting broke, it can easily be taken out with a socket/wrench

I am going to bring the turbo to a local turbo shop and see if hes willing to try and bend them back, and possibly balance if needed
Old 05-11-2014, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The seller is calling me a scammer and telling me to learn how turbo parts work. Hes saying its just fine and that im not getting a dime from him.

I wish he understood how ebays liability system worked. Regardless he sent a poorly packaged product and was damaged. He is liable for the delivery of goods to the buyer. I hope he paid for insurance.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:32 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Ah.. it depends. I know I always say that. Forget what the seller is saying. Just file the claim with the packaging company and go on.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea when you post pictures of the damage and the shoddy packaging PayPal will side with you.

he can't argue with pictures of the damage. I've found most eBay sellers are idiots when it comes to packing an item properly.

We bought some 300 year old royal frown derby China that was shipped from England. came in a big box twice the size of the items with no packing material. needless to say both pieces were totally shattered. when we filed the claim the seller couldn't understand why they broke.

he can bitch and whine all he wants. leave him negative feedback and eBay will severely penalize him. fact is he improperly packed the item and it was damaged as a direct result. he's liable for the damage and PayPal will reverse the transaction.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It makes perfect sense to run a damaged turbo on a nice motor because it was free and your getting a tune from your friend. Other than the wheel shattering into thousands of tiny pieces and damaging your engine what's the worse that can happen.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
It makes perfect sense to run a damaged turbo on a nice motor because it was free and your getting a tune from your friend. Other than the wheel shattering into thousands of tiny pieces and damaging your engine what's the worse that can happen.
Why would the wheel shattering into a thousand pieces? Um.. The only negative I see happening is back pressure, I don't see how slighty bent blades will cause it to shatter. If I decided to run it as is, I would have it balanced first. Also, if the fan blades hit the turbine (which someone said they would) I would obviously not run it.

I sent many pictures to paypal showing the flimsy tiny box he sent it in was the soul reason it was damaged.

Quick Reply: New turbo, bent turbine blades...? Thoughts?