Notices

New and need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and need HELP

hello honda-tech.com, im very new to the import scene and i've been very interested in having a import one day and now that i have a 01 ls integra, im very skepitical on producing horsepower either going n/a,turbo, or whatever. I just ask for all the help and suggestions on what i should do and which setup will be cheaper or at least reliable because its now a daily driver, alot of ppl tell me not to turbo my integra and no honda should be because it decreases the life of the engine because i had a ss camaro and i supercharged it in which the engine could very well take on the stress w/o any problems, but im curious and willing to accept all the feedback from the forced induction PROS Thanks
Old 05-23-2004, 06:46 PM

Default Re: New and need HELP (marky01lsteg)

Marky, welcome.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marky01lsteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> alot of ppl tell me not to turbo my integra and no honda should be because it decreases the life of the engine because i had a ss camaro and i supercharged it in which the engine could very well take on the stress w/o any problems</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anyone who told you that is extremely unknowledgable. There are more than a few 4cyl Hondas here putting down 700hp and are considered "street cars". The average going turbocharged hp here is in the 400's and extremely daily driven.

Pretty much you can summarize the cars on this board as pre-forged internals and post-forged internals. Most pre-forged internal'ed car are in the high 200 low 300's most post-forged internal'ed cars are in the 400-500's. All of which are street cars. Naturally there are some exceptions in both classes, but that's a pretty fair surmation. Also, the power may not sound like much at first, but consider that it's in a car that's 1500lbs lighter than your SS was (in the 92-95 civic hatchback's case) and 700lbs lighter than your SS was (in your integra's case). Power-to-weight reigns supreme here.

I'm also a converted domestic owner, so I can relate to some of the alienation. It'll be a fun ride.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:08 PM

Default Re: New and need HELP (1316130057)

thanks for the reply, so where should i start first as far as keeping the stock engine but getting a turbo, what stock internals will i need to replace and what other aftermarket parts would be great??????
Old 05-23-2004, 09:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marky01lsteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the reply, so where should i start first as far as keeping the stock engine but getting a turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depends on a lot. Specifically, what you realistically expect as far as HP, and how much you want to spend. The Honda field is so populated with such a wide range of products that you can get a turbo kit that suits any budget. Lots of manufacturers like Drag, Revhard, MaxRev and a variety of others make turbo kits for low boost applications. Companies like Full Race, DRT, and quite a few others make kits for high boost applications (after internals). Or you could do like quite a number of the members here and piece together your own kit.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> what stock internals will i need to replace and what other aftermarket parts would be great??????</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, considering that the stock Honda cranks are used in cars that make over 1000hp, you'll only really need to replace the rods and pistons. You can usually get good forged units for 600-800 for the rods and pistons combined. From there, head work is completely up to you, seeing that some people are making ungodly amounts of power from allegedly 100% stock heads.

I'll be honest with you man. When I first got into Hondas, I was like "no way that this little engine is making the kind of numbers this guy claims." I was used to the ricers that turboed their Civics and still ran 14's - considerably higher than stock Cobra or SS times. Sure enough, more and more 10 sec civics started appearing at the track and more and more 450+hp dyno sheets came about on surprisingly stock blocks. Now I'm not only a believer, I'm an active participant. It alters your concept of reality to see a 1.8L car turning out 400-500hp, but I'm tellin ya first hand man, it is real. Look up names like "jinxproof" or "cheesefrog" for example and you'll see cars that were built for considerably low funds that run high tens and still give built Vipers the business on an off day. No joke. The vids are out there.

On a final note, for your first few posts you'll hear the S word quite a bit; Search. The search funtion here is in all honesty your fastest and most comprehensive answer to nearly any question you can ask. This is a "search first, ask questions later" type of board. With that said, enjoy your stay and consider your self deflowered.

Now Search!!
Old 05-24-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Re: New and need HELP (1316130057)

Thanks alot 1316130057, now its time for me to search then ill ask question lol thanks
Old 05-24-2004, 01:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by marky01lsteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks alot 1316130057, now its time for me to search then ill ask question lol thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, sounds like a good battle plan. Good Luck.