Notices

New to FI

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to FI

I am thinking about getting a turbo for my em1. It has 65,000 miles on it. I have bolt ons now but looking to boost. What is the most horse I could go on stock internals with a really good tune. I dont know much about turbos. Here are the list of parts, GARRETT T3/T04E 60 TRIM W/ .63 A/R... TURBO IS STILL LIKE NEW... ABOUT 1000 MILES ON IT.... STAINLESS STEEL TUBULAR RAM HORN MANIFOLD... SPEARCO INTERCOOLER, MEASURES 32" LONG, 7.75" HIGH AND 3.5" THICH.... STAINLESS STEEL 3" DOWNPIPE W/ FLEX.... POLISHED ALUMINUM 2.5" INTERCOOLER PIPING W/ GREDDY STYLE BOV..... 38 mm WASTEGATE W/ DUMP TUBE..... ALSO COMES WITH -4 OIL FEED LINE, AND DRAIN LINE

What else would I need to get with this kit ??
Old 02-21-2007, 04:23 AM

Default Re: New to FI (mikeycivic)

Wow I cant read that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikeycivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am thinking about getting a turbo for my em1.
It has 65,000 miles on it. I have bolt ons now but looking to boost. What is the most horse I could go on stock internals with a really good tune. I dont know much about turbos.
Here are the list of parts,
GARRETT T3/T04E 60 TRIM W/ .63 A/R. RAM HORN MANIFOLD
SPEARCO INTERCOOLER,
3" DOWNPIPE
2.5" INTERCOOLER PIPING
GREDDY STYLE BOV
38 mm WASTEGATE
DUMP TUBE
-4 OIL FEED LINE, AND DRAIN LINE

What else would I need to get with this kit ??</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to first off find out why your car is burning oil and fix that.

The other FI parts you need are:

Couplers
T-Bolts
boost guage
Boost controller(if you arn't running off wastegate)
Injectors
Resistor box (if injectors require)
EMS (such as crome,hondata,etc)
chipped ecu
tapped oil pan (or moroso style pan)
exhaust manifold gasket
oil pan gasket
gasket for return line (if not provided)
extra oil
colder spark plugs

Old 02-21-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to FI (JoePSI)

I believe it comes with all connectors, as far as my car burning oil, I dont know how the f that got under my avatar cuz I never put it there and I dont know how to remove it. Assuming I need all the stuff you mentioned, how much more am I looking at spending, of course I will try to get as much used stuff as possible,
Old 02-21-2007, 04:50 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a bad Ebay auction to me
A 3.5" thick intercooler is way to think for your goals and may cause your car to run much hotter due to the lack of flow to the radiator. This of course will depend on if it's a bar a plate intercooler or a tube and fin.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to FI (White Smoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like a bad Ebay auction to me
A 3.5" thick intercooler is way to think for your goals and may cause your car to run much hotter due to the lack of flow to the radiator. This of course will depend on if it's a bar a plate intercooler or a tube and fin.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you saying its not worth 1500?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:01 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikeycivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you saying its not worth 1500? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have no idea what its worth without more info. PM me a link and I will look it over for you.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to jack your thread but Im trying to really now how everything works on a turbo system.
JoePSI, When you said he needs a boost controller, if he isnt runing off a wastegate, what did you mean by that. I was under the impression thatyou always need a wastegate and a boost controller to control.

This may even help me as well, what is the purpose of a wastegate

Let me see if I got this right, THe purpose of a blow off valve is to relive the pressure which could result in breaking the turbo. Is that correct?

Another thing I dont understand is how you can just up the boost. How exactly do you do that. In my head I just see a turbine spinning from exhaust gasses, how can you control the psi in that?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:04 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Default Re: New to FI (B18c5__Owns)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18c5__Owns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was under the impression thatyou always need a wastegate and a boost controller to control.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You always need a wastgate, that is correct. You don't, however always need a boost controller. If you have a wastgate with a 10psi spring in it then the gate will open fully when you get to 10psi and should hold you boost there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18c5__Owns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me see if I got this right, THe purpose of a blow off valve is to relive the pressure which could result in breaking the turbo. Is that correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats one way of putting it. It opens when you let off the throttle so that the pressurized air in your charge pipes has somewhere to go other then back into your turbo.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18c5__Owns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Another thing I dont understand is how you can just up the boost. How exactly do you do that. In my head I just see a turbine spinning from exhaust gasses, how can you control the psi in that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what the wastgate is for, it bypasses exhaust gas around the turbo so it does not continue to spin the turbo and build boost. A boost controller will tell your wastgate when to open so you can make adjustments to your boost level with out changing wastgate springs. Get it?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18c5__Owns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry to jack your thread but Im trying to really now how everything works on a turbo system.
JoePSI, When you said he needs a boost controller, if he isnt runing off a wastegate, what did you mean by that. I was under the impression thatyou always need a wastegate and a boost controller to control.

This may even help me as well, what is the purpose of a wastegate

Let me see if I got this right, THe purpose of a blow off valve is to relive the pressure which could result in breaking the turbo. Is that correct?

Another thing I dont understand is how you can just up the boost. How exactly do you do that. In my head I just see a turbine spinning from exhaust gasses, how can you control the psi in that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ultimately its the wastegate that controls your boost. Since the turbo is spun by exhaust gases all the wastegate has to do is relieve pressure in the exhaust manifold so the pressure wont reach the turbo.

Boost controllers allow you to increase you boost without having to change the spring inside your wastegate, Say your tial wastegate has a 7psi spring in it. Untouched it will limit your boost pressure to 7psi. A boost controller makes it possible to, for exmaple, run 12psi even though the wastegate has a 7psi spring. Remember you can always go higher than the wastegate's spring but not lower. You can never lower boost with a boost controller. A wastegate is required, a boost controller is not.

You right about the function of a blow off valve. Just picture the turbo spinning, continuously pushing air through your intercooler piping to the intake manifold. When you take your foot off the gas and the throttle plate closes the air is going to bunch up and come back the other way. This is an issue because it is possible to force the turbo to spin in the reverse direction. This in turn puts stress on the turbo which will ultimately lead to it failing.

The answer to your last question regarding increasing boost is quite simple. Understand if boost is not regulated by a wastegate it will continue to increase until something gives, which is typically your motor. In other words you're never increasing boost, your only allowing more boost.

Hope that helped.
Correct me if i'm wrong on anything FI gurus!

-Johnny.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You always need a wastgate, that is correct. You don't, however always need a boost controller. If you have a wastgate with a 10psi spring in it then the gate will open fully when you get to 10psi and should hold you boost there.

Thats one way of putting it. It opens when you let off the throttle so that the pressurized air in your charge pipes has somewhere to go other then back into your turbo.

Thats what the wastgate is for, it bypasses exhaust gas around the turbo so it does not continue to spin the turbo and build boost. A boost controller will tell your wastgate when to open so you can make adjustments to your boost level with out changing wastgate springs. Get it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

gah i wasted my time. your post wasn't there when i started typing lol.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats what the wastgate is for, it bypasses exhaust gas around the turbo so it does not continue to spin the turbo and build boost. A boost controller will tell your wastgate when to open so you can make adjustments to your boost level with out changing wastgate springs. Get it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, good job. Now i get it. I never really knew the waste gate was able to do functions like that, like to actually control and change bypass airflow.

Im trying to learn as much as I can, and your helping

Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah me too and its good to get guys on here that you can actually learn something from without getting flamed thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 08:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18c5__Owns &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow, good job. Now i get it. I never really knew the waste gate was able to do functions like that, like to actually control and change bypass airflow.

Im trying to learn as much as I can, and your helping

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh I wrote two paragraphs to explain more in depth of what the two above posters said, but I'll just show you one of the online articles I read. I also read a book on forced induction pressure that I got from barnes & nobles lol. anway this is a good read. It doesnt hit the issues with pressure gain, but It does explain a manual boost controller in great detail.

Read this, its definately worth the read:
http://www.boostcontroller.com...?i=19]

edit: heres link to book, my book has a different cover but it was written by some guy named bell so I think this is it:

http://www.amazon.com/Inductio...books

I skipped around to things I didnt understand. its organized well.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:19 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

I tried to keep it as short and simple as possible
Old 02-21-2007, 09:21 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White Smoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I tried to keep it as short and simple as possible </TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand, you pretty much explained as much as you need to know to drive a FI car.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ragethemachine86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ultimately its the wastegate that controls your boost. Since the turbo is spun by exhaust gases all the wastegate has to do is relieve pressure in the exhaust manifold so the pressure wont reach the turbo.

Boost controllers allow you to increase you boost without having to change the spring inside your wastegate, Say your tial wastegate has a 7psi spring in it. Untouched it will limit your boost pressure to 7psi. A boost controller makes it possible to, for exmaple, run 12psi even though the wastegate has a 7psi spring. Remember you can always go higher than the wastegate's spring but not lower. You can never lower boost with a boost controller. A wastegate is required, a boost controller is not.

You right about the function of a blow off valve. Just picture the turbo spinning, continuously pushing air through your intercooler piping to the intake manifold. When you take your foot off the gas and the throttle plate closes the air is going to bunch up and come back the other way. This is an issue because it is possible to force the turbo to spin in the reverse direction. This in turn puts stress on the turbo which will ultimately lead to it failing.

The answer to your last question regarding increasing boost is quite simple. Understand if boost is not regulated by a wastegate it will continue to increase until something gives, which is typically your motor. In other words you're never increasing boost, your only allowing more boost.

Hope that helped.
Correct me if i'm wrong on anything FI gurus!

-Johnny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Didnt see youyr post before. But thanks, I understand it alot better now
Old 02-22-2007, 06:51 AM

http://www.hondamarketplace.com/zerothread/1889802

LOL, I found the turbo kit you are buying.. you just copy and pasted it.