Notices

New exhaust review and question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust review and question

I have a 98 ITR with a jrsc (8 psi). I just had a 2.5" Kamikaze header and custom exhaust installed. The system has two resonators, and I replaced the cat with an 18" glasspack muffler (one guy at the shop called it a resonator, but it had packing). I love the sound (not too loud), and the car seems to pull a lot harder. I was expecting the Kami header to open up the top end, but I feel most of the increase in the low and mid range. I was wondering if my stock injectors could be restricting my top end. I currently have the BTC (set at 8 clicks), MAP controller, and high-pressure 255 l/hr fuel pump. I know that this system runs rich and that I need some tuning. I am planning on VAFC and new injectors, but they will have to wait until Christmas. I don't have any problem with detonation, but I am curious as to what happens when injectors go bad. What are some signs of trouble that I should be watching for? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New exhaust review and question (fredtoast)

I maxed out my stock injectors at 215whp and stock 5.5psi. They were nearly 100% duty cycle . When injectors go bad because of being overloaded, they can leak extra fuel into the engine, which can cause "skips" and "misses."

What fuel pressure are you at? I'd be concerned about your stock injectors, and check them out if you can.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:33 AM

Default Re: New exhaust review and question (Batoutahell)

I think the FMU is 5.5 to 1. If I hit 8 psi then my fuel pressure is close to 95 pounds. I know that this is way too high, but it is just a daily driver. It is rarely pushed to the max and never for any extended period. I know that I need tuning, but the AFC and injectors will have to wait. I just want to make sure I don't damage my engine.