Notices

New to the boost idea....some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 02:25 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the boost idea....some questions

I have started toying with the idea of forced induction for my '00 Si and i've used the search function but i still have a few questions i hope you guys can help me with.

For my purposes (reliable daily driver w/ some added power) i think i am going to go with the Greddy turbo kit. However, which intercooler would be most suitable (is the regular size enough, and how big is it?) and how many lbs is the stock level of boost?

I was also wondering what kind of times I can expect with this kit (I would have the i/c, bov, 2.5" exhaust, tuning, etc...) on my Si? Are 13's reasonable or not without more work? What are some other basic upgrades i should add on?

I am also still milling over the drag3 vs. greddy debate--i'm leaning towards the greddy at this point because of the quick spool time and overall drivability but power is power, how much does the Greddy give up to the Drag?

Anyways i know its alot of questions, but hey im new to the boost game so im trying to learn as much as possible so i can make a wise decision. Any help you could offer me would be much appreciated. TIA
Old 12-21-2001, 03:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: New to the boost idea....some questions (tampaSi)

The search feature will bring up the greddy vs. drag debate..

basically the greddy is a smaller turbo, runs out of steam where the drag basically gets started... (drag is a bigger turbo)..

stock level of boost depends on the wastegate they use, but i think greddy is 6?? and the drag most people go with 8, and if you compare 8 on the greddy and drag, the drag will give you more power, more on the top end than the greddy..

times.. i have no idea... i guess 13's are possible for any turbo kit.. LOL

i notice no real problems with the drag.. lag is almost non existant if you launch right.. and more than makes up for it once it's spooled up.

If carb legal is your thing... then might i suggest the Vortec Supercharger kit.. I heard it gets more power than the greddy kit...

otherwise.. get a drag or revhard kit...

correct me if i'm wrong, but the greddy kit doesnt have a bov... those are not smog legal... ????

<---- could be wrong on some info.. so dont shoot me.. LOL
Old 12-21-2001, 04:04 PM
New User

Default Re: New to the boost idea....some questions (GSRwBOOST)

On the Greddy kit you have to add the BOV and Intercooler co it becomes less of a bargain than it first seems. I am just wondering about the flexibility of the drag system. Most of my driving is done below 4k rpm's so i was just concerned with how tolerable the DRAG kit is under these conditions. And of course, reliability plays a key role as well....im not planning on taking the turbo above stock boost levels (at least not until i build the motor) but i also need to know what to get (i.e. JS safgaurd, etc...?) to ensure my motor keeps running well and protected until i do build it completely.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:05 PM
New User

I've had the greddy for about 10 or 11 months now with no real major problem at all. Only downfall is the restrictiveness that it has which hinders the performance and power output but can easily be taken care of. Previously at 7 psi , no cat fabricated 2.5" dp and hks hyper exhaust(2.1") I dynoed 214 hp and 165 torque to the wheels, untuned running extremely rich from 4k up.. Since then I did a custom 3" exhaust and boost is raised now to 9 psi running strong still untuned.. That's really the shitty part..the fact you can't tune on the greddy kit.. The so called magical blue box is supposedly tuned already. Again though it's time I hit a dyno again to see new figures. On setup I first mentioned I hit a best of13.7@102 at thetrack. Peace,

Nick
Old 12-21-2001, 10:09 PM

Default Re: New to the boost idea....some questions (boost killz)

Ballbearing turbo = a semi-expensive way to get the best of both worlds.
Old 12-22-2001, 02:19 PM
New User

On the Greddy kit you have to add the BOV and Intercooler co it becomes less of a bargain than it first seems. I am just wondering about the flexibility of the drag system. Most of my driving is done below 4k rpm's so i was just concerned with how tolerable the DRAG kit is under these conditions. And of course, reliability plays a key role as well....im not planning on taking the turbo above stock boost levels (at least not until i build the motor) but i also need to know what to get (i.e. JS safgaurd, etc...?) to ensure my motor keeps running well and protected until i do build it completely.
If most of your driving is under 4k rpm, then the Drag turbo will not really be utilized. It doesn't even really boost until ~4k rpm. As far as reliability, it will be good as long as you have a good install and keep boost to ~7psi at maximum. I don't have the JS safeguard and i've been fine. Keeping your ignition timing down and using higher octane fuel is important and should keep you pretty safe.

Oh, and like I was told, use Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Turbos can do a number on oil.

[Modified by Anthony K, 11:21 PM 12/22/2001]