Notices

The NEW AFC Hack thread: Who's still running it? *Uberdata/others not allowed*

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The NEW AFC Hack thread: Who's still running it? *Uberdata/others not allowed*

I thought it was about time for a new AFC hack thread so I could find out from people who are actually running this setup, how it's running as of today.

A lot of people will probably want to link me to the original AFC hack thread, or the one that talks about the ignition recurve.

That, or I'll be directed to the Uberdata site.

Basically what I'm noticing is as soon as the word "hack" comes up on this forum lately, all the uberdata/standalone sac-swingers come out and bash, bash, bash to no end. Now, I'd love a standalone setup just as much as the next guy, but for the price (in MY situation, not you or your "boys" situation), the AFC hack is a better choice for me right now. PERIOD.

Here's what I'm asking:

-Post up your motor/turbo setup
-whether you're using an AFC or SMC
-whether you're running saturated or peak/hold injectors (and what type)
-post your AFC/SMC settings
-post any available dyno sheets showing A/F ratio if possible
-tell us what your timing is set at (ex.: stock, 3 degrees retarded, etc.)
-describe how the car drives with the hack, in your opinion (any bucks, detonation, etc.). Good or bad.
-tell us whether you street tuned or dyno tuned your setup.

Here's what I DON'T want:

-People coming in this thread just to tell me that I shouldn't run the AFC hack.
-People telling me that Uberdata, Hondata, TEC III, F.A.S.T., Haltech E6K, Motec M4, AEM EMS, or some other fuel management setup is the way I should go.

If what I've asked is too hard to grasp or comply by for anyone, then please do not post.

That's all. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: The NEW AFC Hack thread: Who's still running it? *Uberdata/others not allowed* (boostincoupe)

Bump cause Im about to run the HACK as well. Anyones input would be greatly appriciated.

Blaze
Old 08-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The NEW AFC Hack thread: Who's still running it? *Uberdata/others not allowed* (Blaze45)

Mekkis (see you soon sweety) is my lover...hes got a tight ***...

Modified by MachAF at 7:39 PM 8/12/2004
Old 08-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The NEW AFC Hack thread: Who's still running it? *Uberdata/others not allowed* (MachAF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MachAF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No the hack is not a better choice for you. Why did you pay $300 for a POS VAFC controller? cuz it looks cool.

this thread is officially GAY.

oh ya.. MN is pretty gay too..

So basically your asking ppl to post here if they are gay... I'm gay... Mekkis (see you soon sweety) is my lover...hes got a tight ***...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hi, you're an idiot.

I had reasons for asking for people not to bash. You don't know why I want to run the hack, so why don't you have a nice tall glass of SHUT THE **** UP

-I got an Apexi V-AFC off a buddy of mine who's selling his car/setup for $100.

-I also got a set of DSM 450cc injectors with clips, recently cleaned/balanced, off a DSM buddy of mine for $40.

So for $140, I'm almost ready to roll with the AFC hack. All I need's a $5 resistor box.

I thought I had given enough warning to people in my original post that I would prefer for this not to be a flaming thread.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MachAF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No the hack is not a better choice for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said it was, fuckstick.

All I said was I didn't want people coming in this thread telling me what I should have gotten instead, or advising me when I don't want their advice that I should use a different fuel management setup. Thanks for nothing buddy.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The NEW AFC Hack thread: Who's still running it? *Uberdata/others not allowed* (boostincoupe)

so your gay too?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an ***.

I too would like to hear some experience with the AFC. I made a thread about it a few days ago but didn't get a good answer. I'll be using the SAFCII with an OBDII MAF car (non-Honda). At least for me, my choices are really either eManage or AFC, and the AFC seemed to be the better deal.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The NEW AFC Hack thread: Who's still running it? *Uberdata/others not allowed* (MachAF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MachAF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so your gay too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, I can tell you're really going places in life with comebacks like that.

Tell me, are you still taking motors out to install turbo kits?

Free bump from this tool for AFC HACK discussion.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. I still take out every motor when I install a turbo kit.

I can't wait to see the day you post "I used hack cuz I'm gay and I blew my motor"

mekkis where are you.. my gay little love puppet.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MachAF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes. I still take out every motor when I install a turbo kit.

I can't wait to see the day you post "I used hack cuz I'm gay and I blew my motor"

mekkis where are you.. my gay little love puppet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're kinda useless to me, you know that right?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GET ME MEKKIS
Old 08-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Why would you take out every motor when you install a turbo kit?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ImAcracker)

11 posts so far and not ONE telling me how their experience is with the AFC hack.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran the Hack for ~2 months and it hauled ***.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImAcracker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why would you take out every motor when you install a turbo kit? </TD></TR></TABLE>

because I'm a cracker
Old 08-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MachAF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MachAF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

because I'm a cracker</TD></TR></TABLE>
Hey me too. Crackers &gt; *
Old 08-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ImAcracker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hey me too. Crackers &gt; * </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-12-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">11 posts so far and not ONE telling me how their experience is with the AFC hack. </TD></TR></TABLE>
bump cuz i am interested also.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MachAF)

*sigh*
Old 08-12-2004, 04:55 PM

I've been running it for over 20k miles and it's running very strong.

-F23A1 automatic
-199hp at 5ish psi
-Not a single problem
Old 08-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran a 2st gen VAFC on my stock B16 boosting 7-8PSI daily. 10PSI by accident a few times... Was ran on 450CC DSM injectors. overall. it was very easy to install. and very user friendly to tune when it coesm to someone wanting to mess around with stuff they know not so much about haha. I usually always ran it slightly richer so it was around -35 across the board. I had a BAD hesitation/bog right at about 2,500-3000 always tho. and unless I ran it even more rich. like -30 or -32 it woudl be terrible. even at -32 from 0-3000RPM it still slightly had a bog. I tried leaning it way uot to -40 and it was still there.. Overall it was fun. cojntrollnig VTEC at will and fuel depending on conditions and ags was a plus.. good setup for a beginner IMO.. I ran it for abotu 1 month before my oil pump gear blew to smitherenes... let me know what else you want to know. oh BTW, the "boost guage" was also a plus :D
Old 08-12-2004, 05:26 PM

Default Re: (Tchleung)

Aight, looks like I'm going first.

D16y8 stock
Running a 1st gen AFC
RC 440 saturated injectors
Base timing is @ ~ 10* btdc
On 9 psi I put down 190whp and 170wtq

I'm not giving out settings because that's just not going to help anyone. It was widebanded to 11.5 accross the rev range. Solid AF. To give you an idea I'm around -40% accross the board.

How does it run? Well, I have been running this for over a year and 15k miles and it works wonderfully. Super smooth, great boost transition. Feels like a factory boosted car, and that's why I am still using the hack.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Re: The NEW AFC Hack thread: Who's still running it? *Uberdata/others not allowed* (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What an ***.

I too would like to hear some experience with the AFC. I made a thread about it a few days ago but didn't get a good answer. I'll be using the SAFCII with an OBDII MAF car (non-Honda). At least for me, my choices are really either eManage or AFC, and the AFC seemed to be the better deal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasn't aware that you have to "hide" boost from the map with a car that uses a maf. And if you do, I know for sure that a hack wouldn't be a good option anyway. The MAF does a good job of adding extra fuel even in FI applications.

Also, unlike with a speed density fuel managment, you can use a afc to add fuel. So at most, all you'll need is to setup your afc to add fuel when boostin.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:04 PM

Default Re: (pollito)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pollito &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Aight, looks like I'm going first.

D16y8 stock
Running a 1st gen AFC
RC 440 saturated injectors
Base timing is @ ~ 10* btdc
On 9 psi I put down 190whp and 170wtq

I'm not giving out settings because that's just not going to help anyone. It was widebanded to 11.5 accross the rev range. Solid AF. To give you an idea I'm around -40% accross the board.

How does it run? Well, I have been running this for over a year and 15k miles and it works wonderfully. Super smooth, great boost transition. Feels like a factory boosted car, and that's why I am still using the hack.

Hope that helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a feeling that your going to see that people with sohc engines have better experience with the hack than people with dohc engines.

If it helps any I'll tell you about my friends setup.
b18b (auto) obd I conversion
safc
rc 440 saturated injectors
base timing is retarded 2 deg. from stock
8psi 190whp I forget torque (auto tranny)

I noticed when he was on the dyno that his a/f ratio wouldn't go richer than 14.7 well into boost and past 4.5k no matter what the setting were. We even tried to turn of the fuel pressure, but it didn't do anything. I think that had something to do with the car still being in closed loop though. After that, the a/f ratio would go 12 flat to fuel cut off.

Other than boost transition and being in boost, his car drove like ****!!! Driving the thing around town it would buck like mad when in vac. Down shifting to take turns wasn't an option because of the very hard buck. And throttle tip-in in vac. would always bring on the buck. Mind you, this is with and in car wideband.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: The NEW AFC Hack thread: Who's still running it? *Uberdata/others not allowed* (Stewie)

Well, there is no MAP in the car, and you are right, the car runs just fine right now at low boost (~6 psi) with no fuel management, with injectors 25% larger than stock.

There are two reasons I bought the SAFC: One, the car runs rich at idle and close to stoich near redline in boost. Two, I want to increase the injector size to 30#, which won't work with the stock ECU. I want to tune the car, basically, and I have heard good things with MAF cars and the SAFC. (Most importantly I have been told that the ignition timing is not an issue)

Right now, to avoid detonation, I have 8° of spark retard that comes in from 4500 to the 6500 redline, via my MSD DIS-2. That gives me total timing of about 25° at redline. Once I figure out how to wire the SAFC in (I have the wiring schematics for the Rio but I still won't know which wires are "signal"), I hope to be able to remove the spark retard, turn up the boost to ~8, and have enough injector to spare in case the boost spikes.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Re: The NEW AFC Hack thread: Who's still running it? *Uberdata/others not allowed* (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, there is no MAP in the car, and you are right, the car runs just fine right now at low boost (~6 psi) with no fuel management, with injectors 25% larger than stock.

There are two reasons I bought the SAFC: One, the car runs rich at idle and close to stoich near redline in boost. Two, I want to increase the injector size to 30#, which won't work with the stock ECU. I want to tune the car, basically, and I have heard good things with MAF cars and the SAFC. (Most importantly I have been told that the ignition timing is not an issue)

Right now, to avoid detonation, I have 8° of spark retard that comes in from 4500 to the 6500 redline, via my MSD DIS-2. That gives me total timing of about 25° at redline. Once I figure out how to wire the SAFC in (I have the wiring schematics for the Rio but I still won't know which wires are "signal"), I hope to be able to remove the spark retard, turn up the boost to ~8, and have enough injector to spare in case the boost spikes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya, the safc would be a good option for you and it should be able to fix you a/f ratio. However, I'm pretty sure that the hack is specific to honda's speed density system or other cars that solely rely on a MAP.

Are you sure you know how the hack works? If you did, I think it would be very obvious that you wouldn't want to set your afc in this way. Anyway, without a MAP, your fuel curve can never be boost dependent.

There's a reason why you heard good things about the afc with car that have similar setups as yours. Like I said, cars with a MAF, you can use the afc to add fuel unlike in a honda. By using the afc that way, you should be able to fix your a/f ratio.

Quick Reply: The NEW AFC Hack thread: Who's still running it? *Uberdata/others not allowed*